New welding machine plus other stuff

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Just had to share with someone and couldn't think of a group of guys that would be more interested than this one:

Finally got a welding machine, I have been wanting one for years and my dad (who is at that age that he wants to get rid of some of his "clutter") ask me if I wanted a bunch of his old "stuff". (He is a pack-rat and worked in heavy construction until he retired).

Best thing so far is a Lincoln Arc Welding machine..having a lot of fun learning the basics. My dad gave me a quick lesson and actually seems pretty easy so far. Got a book with it as well so I'll read thru that too.

Not too wory, I won't be doing any welds anytime soon that would cause harm if the weld did not work, mostly small repairs etc.

Gotta say that, it is an awful lot of fun...if anyone is wondering if they should get one...I vote yes.

Got lots of other tools that I would never have gone out and bought if I had to pay for them (i.e. 2 *massive* come-a-longs) that could probably pick up my JD5410 and hang it in the air if needed, several cuting torches, gaulges, hoses etc. Lots of welding supplies (full-masks, chalk, hundreds of rods) and a 3/4inch ratchet set, several heavy duty chains and pulleys, hundreds of feet of cables, turnbuckels, 8 5 gallon HD gasoline cans, several 16-18 inch adjustable wrenches, shovels, ropes, very big monkey wrenches etc...the list is endless...all nice things to have around..like I said, just had to share it with someone../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Need to make a few more trips, but I know he has 3 Stihl 026 saws (almost new), sawzalls, grinders, routers etc that he is packing up for me. Nothing more fun than new toys...especially those you do not need to pay for/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #2  
Lincoln welder, boy you sure it it great with that gift. Is that a 110 or 220 unit? Will be interesting what projects you take on and how they turn out. This is something that I have alwasy wanted to get but at this point I am looking more towards a MIG welder.
PJ

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #3  
Sounds like someone is going to be needing a new storage building, or a bigger one.
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #4  
Christmas in May!/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #5  
Does he want to adopt a son to share these goodies with?? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #6  
I'm so jealous./w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif The welder and cutting torches are gotta haves for everybodies shop aren't they? And the prospects of a Stihl 026. I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it!
I think I'll go out to the shop and kick my 40 pull Mac./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ New welding machine plus other stuff
>>Is that a 110 or 220 unit?

Its a 220, so it took me a couple of trips to Home Depot to get all the parts I needed to add a new 220 circuit and plug to my shop, but its all set now.

Gotta get my hands on some more scrap metal that I can turn into useful tractor attachments...first project would probably some sort of fork attachment for scooping up logs.

I already told my wife I am going to start building scrap metal sculptures from old auto-parts and putting them out on the lawn/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif!

Let you know how my (real) projects progress.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ New welding machine plus other stuff
I agree, both will be useful.

I got about 6 proffesional grade cutting torches, about 3-4 sets of hoses and about 2 dozen cutter tips (do these wear out?).

Only think I need to add is the acetlyne and oxegyn tanks which I don't have yet.

My dad has these but since it had been about 5 years or so since he had them filled (they are empty now) he wasn't sure if they could still be filled?

Anyone know if you need any special permits to get these gas tanks (in Mass), or if you are even allowed to actually *own* them anymore? (as opposed to renting them).

Any guestimates on what it costs to get a tank of each?

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #9  
<font color=blue>I already told my wife I am going to start building scrap metal sculptures from old auto-parts and putting them out on the lawn!</font color=blue>

When I said that after I got my MIG welder, my wife started muttering threats to my person that I can't repeat here./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ New welding machine plus other stuff #10  
I don't know about the laws in Mass., but I do know you'll need to check the stamped dates on the bottles. If the bottles are past the dates the bottles will need to be hydro tested. Your welding supply will be able to get this done. Of course, it might take forever and they might lose one or two of your bottles in the process. :( If there is a company name cast or stamped in the ring around the bottle below the valve they won't fill the bottle and might keep it to return to the company. I'm not saying your dad boosted the bottle, mind you, But I bought a set of used bottles once and had that happen. If you have any problems out of the welding supply try another one if possible. We have welding companies around here that are durn near impossible to do business with and some that are really easy to get along with.