Fair price for welding work?

/ Fair price for welding work? #11  
Test bead is a good idea,BUT,after reading that acceptable quality thread,many don't know what a quality bead looks like[or even a welded joint],so....

/ Fair price for welding work? #12  
One thing you didn't mention is that he will have to unhook and load his welder to bring it to you. Then truck it back etc. That's a PITA if you have a large welder. I need to rig a nylon strap sling and use the tractor to get it into the truck.

If you are going to have lots of little things, it would probably be better to bring them to him and leave a 20 or a six pack or a 20 AND a six pack. Unless he welds for a living, then you should pay him what he normally gets.

jb

/ Fair price for welding work? #13  
The fact that somebody is having trouble finding a good welder to fix or repair little piddly things for individual people,is not a wonder to me anyways.
Country has been screaming for good welders for years now,[talking pipewelders,pipelines in oil field situation],pay is well over 50 an hour for welder and rig.
Your just left with the old part timers and those that could have undesirable working habits lets say.

Most pro's won't stoop real low[welding lawn mowers and clothes line posts]even if you paid them 100 bucks an hour,unless they knew you.
My next dooe neighbor is a retired pipe line welder from our local gas company.

/ Fair price for welding work?
This person does not weld for a living. He does it for side income/hobby. I don't know how good he is, but his brother says he will do a good job. I'm assuming that his rig is a small mig outfit which is not a big deal to transport. I have him coming to me because I don't have a truck to haul by bucket in and I want a couple of small brackets welded to the frame of the tractor. I definitely cannot haul the tractor at this point. Like I stated in the first post I will have everything ready, ground down and fit up ready to weld. I will also do whatever grinding is necessary after the welding is done and will do the necessary painting as well.

Thanks for the imput.

On another note is a mig weld suitable for the strength I'm looking for in reinforcement for a grapple mounting application. I will be having him weld 1/4" angle that is 3"x3" across the top of the bucket.

/ Fair price for welding work? #15  
It depends on the Mig machine and the person operating it. I prefer a stick weld to a mig on thick metal (3/16 and thicker) and a mig would be great on the thin stuff. Most of the hobby mig welders dont seem to penatrate into the metal. Make his working for you a good deal and he will come back the next time.

/ Fair price for welding work?
I prefer a stick weld to a mig on thick metal (3/16 and thicker) and a mig would be great on the thin stuff.

Hmmm, that's kinda what I was thinking. I should probably ask him some detailed questions before I proceed. I definitely don't want to have to RE-do any of this work.

/ Fair price for welding work? #17  
Do you have a proper 220v outlet available for a welder or does he have a generator welder combo? If he is using a 110v mig that heavy of steel will be a challenge.

MarkV

/ Fair price for welding work? #18  
Hmmm, that's kinda what I was thinking. I should probably ask him some detailed questions before I proceed. I definitely don't want to have to RE-do any of this work.

It doesn't take a very exotic 220 volt MIG to light up 1/2" plate like a Christmas ornament. Asking for a "test weld" is meaningless if the 'inspector' doesn't know what he is looking at.

/ Fair price for welding work? #20  
Unless the guy has a mobile unit, moving even a small MIG unit is a hassle. Unhook the gas, load and secure the cylinder, welder, etc. then the reverse when he gets home. Make it worth his while. Keep in mind his coming to you is saving you lots of hassle as you described before. He also has considerable $$ invested in equipment.

I wouldn't insult the guy by asking for a test weld if he regularly does welding work on the side. You can always stop him if the welds don't look the way they should. Of course, that'll insult him, but at that point you'll know you probably won't ask him to do anything else so it won't matter as much.

You might consider "stitch" welding instead of a solid bead. It'll give you plenty of strength with less distortion. If you lay a bead completely across the top of the bucket, you could easily end up with a bow. Stitching will also make it easier to remove if you ever decide you need to change something to accomodate another attachment.