Fair price for welding work?

/ Fair price for welding work? #1  

TRUST

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 2620 HST
I called a friend's brother who I know, but not real well. I told him what I wanted to weld up and he said he would do it for whatever I felt like was fair, since I was a friend of the family.

I've never had welding work done, so I don't have a clue what would be fair. Here is what I asked him to do:

Come to my house, he is only 10 minutes away
I supply the material to be welded
I supply the grinder and wheels
I will have everything ready

He will need to make a total of aprox. 80" of beads.
He will supply the welder and all wire/rods.

What do you think?

/ Fair price for welding work? #2  
Just to be safe, and fair, offer him whatever you make per hour. Even if it's less than a welder makes, it should suit him in this situation.

/ Fair price for welding work? #3  
Pay him by the hour he's working,lot more to a welding job than just the inches to be welded,most times,on something like this,the welding is the quickest part of job,getting it to fit,cleaning,etc,generally is the hardest part.
It depends on how good he is to how much, semipro,well 50 an hour might be about right,beginner should do it for the beer[and the experience].

/ Fair price for welding work? #4  
Where I live, there are allot of welders becauce of all the oilfield work. Oddly, it's very hard to find a reliable one. I hate to classify all of them as drunks, but it seems to be fairly common with the ones I've dealt with.

There is one place in town that has a very good reputation and does what you ask them to. No hunting them down and trying to figure out when they will get around to doing your project.

They charge $50 an hour.

Eddie

/ Fair price for welding work? #6  
The fact that somebody is having trouble finding a good welder to fix or repair little piddly things for individual people,is not a wonder to me anyways.
Country has been screaming for good welders for years now,[talking pipewelders,pipelines in oil field situation],pay is well over 50 an hour for welder and rig.
Your just left with the old part timers and those that could have undesirable working habits lets say.

Most pro's won't stoop real low[welding lawn mowers and clothes line posts]even if you paid them 100 bucks an hour,unless they knew you.

/ Fair price for welding work? #7  
I charge $50/hour for portable work and for work brought to me varies depending on the job. Welding is not my main stay income nor do I want it to be. What I charge probably is on the cheep side if you consider the investment for welders, support tools like grinders, consumables and gasses. I make a lot of stuff for me and it is more of a hobby job. It does help off set this compact tractor thing I have.

Also. My time starts when I leave the house. It may take time before the job to get the parts/tools for different jobs. Most welding jobs are not ones where you just show up and start welding.

Thanks
Dan

/ Fair price for welding work? #8  
I charge $50/hour for portable work and for work brought to me varies depending on the job. Welding is not my main stay income nor do I want it to be. What I charge probably is on the cheep side if you consider the investment for welders, support tools like grinders, consumables and gasses. I make a lot of stuff for me and it is more of a hobby job. It does help off set this compact tractor thing I have.

Also. My time starts when I leave the house. It may take time before the job to get the parts/tools for different jobs. Most welding jobs are not ones where you just show up and start welding.

Thanks
Dan
If he's reliable and close, you might start off the relationship with $100.. He may be a good friend when you get in trouble.. I always try to have my welder indebted to me, rather than the other way...

/ Fair price for welding work? #10  
I pay $50/hr (50 min) for a certified welder at the local Industrial Supply Co. He does excellent work and saves me time. I can weld but don't have the equipment or near as much experience. I would get the guy to weld a test bead before I let him do 80" to be sure he knows what he's doing.