Question about welding diff'l spider gears

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears #1  

towmotor

Bronze Member
I've read (in this forum ) and heard from others about welding spider gears to lock a differential.
I've never tried this and I was wondering if there is any trick to it or if it's simply a degrease-it-and-weld-it type thing.
Any procedure to deal with the hardened steel?
Recommended weld wire?
Any dissassembly, other than pulling the cover?

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears #2  
I've heard of brazing the spider gears. Not sure what the proper technique is.
Google "Lincoln locker"

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears
Thanks for the reply Tig.
Checked out the Lincoln Lockers. It seems that those who've done this have done it with the diff carrier in the housing.
I'm not sure I'd do that. I'd probably remove the carrier. If my memory serves me well, one would only have to check the ring gear backlash, as part of reassembly, as long as the pinion was left in place.
I'd probably splurge and roll a tooth pattern just to be sure.

I locked the front diff from a Bronco II (not being used in a vehicle, garage door opener-long, sick story- even though it will work) by making little wedge shaped inserts that bolt between the axle side gears through the "windows" in the diff carrier.
It did the trick, but we're only talking about whatever torque input can be generated by a hand crank on the pinion flange moving the resistance offered by the weight (300 lbs?) of a garage door...

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears #4  
I've read (in this forum ) and heard from others about welding spider gears to lock a differential.
I've never tried this and I was wondering if there is any trick to it or if it's simply a degrease-it-and-weld-it type thing.
Any procedure to deal with the hardened steel?
Recommended weld wire?
Any dissassembly, other than pulling the cover?
I've welded many spider assys, mostly on race cars.
There are two ways I use.
The quick and easy: take the diff out of the rear end, or take the back cover off the axle. If you can see the spiders, degrease and weld between the spider gears.
The more evolved: Take the 3rd member apart and take the little spiders out. Weld the side gears to the case.

Either way will work, but sometimes the easy way breaks loose. It will usually stay locked up, but with some slop, also you may get some loose weld particles floating around ( could lead to R&P failure).

I break clean everything real well, let dry, then pop it in the oven for 1/2 hr on high ( or use a torch to slowly and evenly heat it).
Weld in small passes, rotating back and forth around the gears.
Let it cool slowly and naturally.
Clean it out again, lubricate and install.
Enjoy the traction.

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears #5  
My father had a small Deutz D18 tractor, some 30 years ago. Everytime he forgot to disengage the difflock when cornering under heavy traction, a halfshaft would break. IT happened 2 or 3 times.
Maybe for high speed racing it will work, but for slow speed, high tractive effort, not all axles are up to it...

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears #6  
If you're planning to only go in a straight line then welding the spider gears will do it for you. If you're going to make turns (especially on blacktop) something will break if they are welded. It work great on sand, mud, or snow. For what purpose do you need a locked diff.

GT2....
a race car builder; That explains the exquisite fabrication skill we saw displayed on the thread about your way cool tractor build.

George-
You may have seen my "What to build" thread. I thought I had my mind made up until I started thinking about using a setup similar to what GT2 used on his tractor: a transaxle as transfer case. That would be short enough to allow something with articulated steering in a 7 footish wheelbase.
If I were to go that route, I'd need to lock the diff' in the transaxle.

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears #8  
Spend the 50 bucks and put a mini spool in it . Which is a splined hub that does away with the spider gears and joins the two axles .

On edit , is this thing front wheel drive ? If so forget it .

I'd certainly go the mini-spool route if there's one available for that transaxle.
Kinda doubt it though, since you're never supposed to lock front axles, at least not for street use.

/ Question about welding diff'l spider gears #10  
Spend the 50 bucks and put a mini spool in it . Which is a splined hub that does away with the spider gears and joins the two axles .

Depends on what diff he is using, there are very few variety s of mini spools.