Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY

/ Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY #11  
Solvex are cheap. I get them under $2 a pair. Plus they can be reused many times. (think heavy dishwashing gloves)

/ Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY #12  
An insidious way to get phosgene gas is to use a Halon fire agent where it can be sucked into the intake of a diesel engine. Halon has been touted as a really safe and effective type of fire suppression agent and performs near miracles in extinguishing fires and can even stop an explosion of a fuel air mixture in mid ignition when deployed properly B U T when sucked into a diesel and exposed to that environment you get phosgene gas.

All automatic fire suppression systems near diesels should be connected to a fuel cutoff solenoid to kill the engine in case the fire suppression system is set off.

Carrying a Halon fire extinguisher is a good thing. Using it to put out an under hood fire in a diesel powered vehicle could be fatal if you don't kill the engine first.

Pat

/ Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY #15  
Thank you for the warning, I didnt know that!

/ Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY #17  
Years ago I had been doing brake jobs in my garage and had a bad cold as it was in the winter. My friend came over and we changed the ring an pinon gears in his blazer. He started to coughing and then could not hardly breathe as his lungs were filling with fluid. At the same time, we realized what was happening. The brake cleaner we had used to clean the axle housings with was reacting with the flame on my propane heater. My cold was not a cold after all. My friend just reacted worse than I had. I prefer to use chlorinated cleaners but now never around open flames and will not when welding now.

/ Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY #18  
Wow... That sounds really scary. Now that I read the entire story (thanks for the link), I think I have had some of those symptoms before.

I need to run now, to get the exhaust fans hooked up in my garage!

/ Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY #19  
An insidious way to get phosgene gas is to use a Halon fire agent where it can be sucked into the intake of a diesel engine. Halon has been touted as a really safe and effective type of fire suppression agent and performs near miracles in extinguishing fires and can even stop an explosion of a fuel air mixture in mid ignition when deployed properly B U T when sucked into a diesel and exposed to that environment you get phosgene gas.

All automatic fire suppression systems near diesels should be connected to a fuel cutoff solenoid to kill the engine in case the fire suppression system is set off.

Carrying a Halon fire extinguisher is a good thing. Using it to put out an under hood fire in a diesel powered vehicle could be fatal if you don't kill the engine first.

Pat
That is why most gas turbines and diesel engines use CO2 fire suppression in their enclosures.

/ Welding + Brake Cleaner = DEADLY #20  
While we are at it, lets look at what goes wrong when a compressed gas cylinder goes BOOM!

YouTube - MythBusters: Air Cylinder Rocket
YouTube - MythBusters: Air Cylinder Rocket

YouTube - O2 CYLINDER EXPLOSION
YouTube - O2 CYLINDER EXPLOSION

I used to work for a telephone company years ago. To make some extra money I had an occasional job helping a guy installing the batteries for the telephone switches. When the cells were assembled they were connected by led bridges welded with Hydrogen/Oxygen torch.
One time we were assembling two batteries at some plant and needed to move our stuff from one building to another. My boss and I carried the O2 bottle and local maintenance guys were carrying the H2 bottle. My boss told them to put the valve cover on it but it was ignored saying it is easier to carry without it on. While walking across a railroad track one of the guys tripped, they dropped the bottle and the valve hit the rail and broke off. The bottle flew into a maintenance building made round about a foot big hole in the brick wall then hit a work bench inside of the building and pushed it out on the other side making about garage door size hole there.