Welding pipe

/ Welding pipe #1  

Toffy

Bronze Member
I thought i would share this as I'm sure there are people like me out there who would like to make good joints out of pipe.
There is nothing more frustrating unless you are a welder and do this all the time.
There is a program that allows you to put in the dimensions and angles that you want to work with. All you do is fill in the blanks and than print out a pattern that is transferable to the pipe. Grind or cut the angle and than weld. It's that simple and fool proof. If there are standard angles i use a lot i make them out of plastic so they last as long as required.
Go to GOOGLE and type in "Tube Miter" Download the program and your all set.

/ Welding pipe #2  
Thanks for the hint. I'd heard of programs like this, but I always thought they cost a few hundred dollars.

Do you have a link to the specific site you downloaded the program from? I did the search you suggested and it brought up a bunch of metric programs. Maybe that's what I'll have to work with.

/ Welding pipe #3  
Here's another one that is for inch or metric. It will give a template for pipe that is from 0.1 inch to 10 inches.

Tube Coping Calculator
Tube Coping Calculator

Clem

/ Welding pipe #5  
They make templates for that?

I make my own, but fitting was my occupation for 15 years, so I guess I ought to know how.
I'll admit I cheat a bit these days by using Auto Cad for my templates, mostly because my kids have a habit of taking off with my compass (a must when making your own wrap-around notching templates).

/ Welding pipe #6  
when we are going to cut a lot of the same miters we go to the local HVAC shop and they burn a pattern out of tin. They use a computer controlled plasma torch that they use to make duct work.

Works great and lasts for years

/ Welding pipe #7  
I needed to learn how to draft cope templates in trade school but have used Pipe Joint Template Software

...still fire up the t-square for oddball joints or if I feel like doing a little drawing.

If you have a finished joint already, then wrap a piece of paper around it and rub it with your dirty hands so the contour is transferred; instant template. I do this to replace tattered old templates.

@AKwelder: Tin templates are a good idea; which I intend to steal. When I need a template to last I use card stock or gasket paper. If you want a template that really lasts, make one with a tube/pipe whose ID matches the OD of your work. If you drill and tap a hole then you can use a bolt to clamp it in place....and if the wall thickness is good enough you can use it as a torch guide.

/ Welding pipe #8  
we have the tin knockers spot weld angle to each end that we can clamp. I was doing 36 inch pipe for the last one.

or we use a pipe beveling machine, replace the dogs with all thread, set the angle, and straight cut the pipe. you have to twist the barrel in and out to correct distance away from the steel

/ Welding pipe #9  
Good luck, never could get this to work for me. Not really a paper guy.

I used a buddy's pipe notcher and was really impressed with what I could achieve on my first try.

IF you already have a drill press, this 'add on' is a must.

First off,,,,this is NOT my picture and NOT my work, but I swear,,, it looked just like it.

http://www.captalrice.com/images/Fuselage/TripleJoint4.5.jpg

/ Welding pipe #10  
Spot weld angle on so you can clamp? I'm going to steal that idea too...

For sheet metal guys this sort of thing is their bread and butter.