auto-darkening welding helmet

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #21  
Hello to the welding "experts" and I use that term advisedly /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif 'cause I know you're out there.

I am an aspiring welder with, as yet , no welding equipment (my very experienced buddy who has all the toys -except the auto darkening helmet- has agreed to teach me some technique as we embark on the building of a CADDIGGER 821 backhoe) and I have been following a few of the threads here with more than passing interest.

In Canada, a company called <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.princessauto.com>Princess Auto </A> sends out a monthly flyer and, in the one I received last night, they advertised a "Variable Shade, Auto Darkening Welding Helmet" with the following features:
- darkens in 1/25,000 of a second at room temp
- solar powered
- rugged, lightweight construction
- large 3 7/8 by 1 3/8 viewing area
- adjusts from shade #9 to # 13
- variable shade lens switch located on exterior for easy adjustment
- Wt - 4 lbs
Reg - $329.99 SALE $222.22

Note the prices are CDN$ - so for you guys in the USofA that's probably less than a buck and a half /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

The flyer says Made in Italy but does not provide a manufacturer name

Does this sound like it is worth checking further?
If so I would really appreciate any comments on what additional question I should be asking and feartures I should be insisting upon.

Also, any comments on the pros and cons of solar vs battery operated would be helpful. Could this be the photo cell charging the wroughtn_harv referred to earlier in the string?

Thanks
Douro Bob

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #22  
I'm a novice welder and found that the auto darkening helmet made the task a lot easier. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $99.00 and it is solar. I've used it for the last year with no problem.