auto-darkening welding helmet

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #1  

emery

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota b9200
I arc weld on occasion(when something breaks) and have just picked up an autodarkening helmet (uses batteries). I'm hoping this will increase my accuracy in scratching an arc!

Any special precautions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #2  
I have had mine for about 2 years and just replaced the batteries this week. I have used the old style for years. I really like the auto darkening one. Only thing I watch for is to keep the lense clean.

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #3  
Once you use it, you'll never go back. The only drawback I have ever noticed is if you are in a tight place and the lens is partially blocked you may get flashed. Take care of the lens and keep a few spare shields handy, overall you are going to love it.

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #4  
I just purchased a stick welder, I learned on a MIG and wanted to be able to weld larger stuff, and I have to say, I don't think I would be near as far along in the learning to use it without the autodarkening helmet. I am just getting to the point where I can strike the arc somewhat easily, but if I had to constantly flip the helmet up and down, I think I'd still be swearing trying to get the arc started.

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #5  
Is one brand any better than another? I want to take a welding course and think I'd like to buy one before class. What should I look for? or stay away from?
mike

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #6  
<font color=blue>I want to take a welding course and think I'd like to buy one before class</font color=blue>

I'd probably be the same way; want to have something to play with and practice at home, BUT I wonder if it wouldn't be better to wait until you at least get started with the class, see what kind of equipment the instructor uses and recommends, maybe get to try out some different ones and see which you like best, etc. As with tractors, cars, and nearly everything else, there are lots of good brands and models depending on what you want to use them for.

/ auto-darkening welding helmet
Thanks for the replies. Just for the info, I got it on ebay for $50 + $7.50 shipping(UPS 1 week). They always have several for sale and mine came new from store in florida and it even included set of 4AA batteries.

I couldn't tell you if it is junk - but it works and the price was certainly attractive.

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #8  
The biggest problem with the cheaper hoods is not usually the autodarkening mechanism. Be aware a miniscule crack that allows the light in will eventually blind you and you might not even know it's coming.

Yours takes four double AA batteries. My hoods cost seven times what yours did and they use two triple AA batteries. Weight, it's like on a race car. It's expensive to lose it without hurting the quality. One hood is three or four years old and the other is two. Now I understand the good hoods are using photo cell chargers and watch batteries, weight.

The other thing with the hood is the headgear. I bought the hood three or four years ago because I got tired of fighting the Jackson headgear day in and day out. Of course when jackson came out with the new style headgear I picked up a new one instantly.

Good luck with your bargain. I hope it works out well for you. But do be aware that modifying the hood to use better head gear can be dangerous to your long term eyesight.

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #9  
are there welding types that the auto helmet shouldn't be used with.
I have a stick welder and a oxy-acel tourch/cutter.
I guess with the gas would the helmet never flip back to clear while the gas was lit, even if the torch wasn't actually cutting at the time???

thanks
gary

/ auto-darkening welding helmet #10  
I am not sure that the gas torch would make the helmet go dark. I know mine is triggered by an arc, not nessisarily how bright the light is. I can make mine darken by looking at a flouresent light, which is definitly not brighter than the sunlight outside, the sunlight does not darken it.