Welding - I want to learn ..need advice.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #101  
It would appear that some believe if anyone buys and uses anything under a 250a welder then he's nothing but a joke or something.
O.k. you're clearly pointing your arrows at me by ripping my remark out of its context, so i'll rephrase: I said that a low ampere rod welder is far more capable than a MIG welder of the same ampere, low ampere MIG welders are only good for light sheetmetal welding: Thin sheetmetal is not the common use on a farm. When not used very often, your Co2/Argon shield gas may leak away, and the welding wire can get rusty, causing it to jam in the welding torch. All reasons why i advised these beginning welders to buy a stick welder, purely from a practical point of view, from personal experience with 200A buzz box, 180A MIG, the 250A mig i use while waiting on my new MIG, and the 450 and 500A industrial units at industrial outfits i have worked in the past.

I have very little experience with welders but I'm guessing it's safe to say that any size welder is a useful tool when used within it's intended operating parameters and equally true that each can also be used in an inappropriate and unsafe manner outside of it's intended applications.
Yep, thats very safe to say... Just read back and see that i sketched the appropriate operating parameters for several welders i have used...

Anyone care to enlighten us neophytes what is cheap and what is decent and why? For instance is a 180a 250v lincoln cheap and indecent for it's intended use, what about a 140a 120v Lincoln, is that cheap and indecent for it's designed use, can either be used for "serious" welding or should they be assigned purely for trivial welding?

Is that a serious question ? I am more than willing to share my knowledge about welders with anyone who cares for... Its just hard to estimate the amount and type of work you'll use a welder for once you've bought your first one, and have gotten the hang of welding...

To decide which welder is appropriate for your use, you must know how much amperes you're going to need on average, and the duty cycle of the welder: Hobby welders have a 20 to 35% duty cycle. Which means that my previous 180A welder with 35% duty cycle can only be used at 100% power for 35% of the time: The other 65% of time it has to cool.
In my use it was running on its toes, causing the spool to overheat and short circuit.

The commercial model i bought now, has 350A at 60% duty cycle, and 265A at 100% duty cycle. so it will put out 265 ampere when welding continously without damage.

Another important factor with cheaper welders is: Are the spools copper wire, or aluminum wire ? The copper ones are more expensive but will last. Aluminum spools will corrode (even when not used and just sitting on the shelf) When the aluminum spool wires corrode, the capacity of the welder will decrease, which causes that it overheats even quicker. On my last stick welder, i had to adjust the welder to 180A for 3.2mm rods that normally require 135A because of the aging spools: it was simply not putting out the power anymore. First the thermal protection cut the power after 15 minutes of heavy welding, but in the end, it was getting hot within 3 minutes.

So when buying welders: Amperes means nothing. Check the duty cycle at 100% to know what the welder is REALLY capable of, and buy copper spools so the thing wont deteriorate when just sitting unused under the workbench.

When you wont be using a welder for more than 15 minutes, allmost any welder is good enough if it can bring the amperes to the job. When welding for an hour per time you use it, i'd already start looking at duty cycles of these machines because it can get frustrating. When welding for a full weekdays evening, or a saturday long, you'll throw a fit sooner or later, when your welder is too light and you have to wait every 10 to 15 minutes till it cools down for 20 minutes, when the thermal protection has switched it off.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #102  
i'd already start looking at duty cycles of these machines because it can get frustrating. When welding for a full weekdays evening, or a saturday long, you'll throw a fit sooner or later, when your welder is too light and you have to wait every 10 to 15 minutes till it cools down for 20 minutes, when the thermal protection has switched it off.

Miller time!!:D:D

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #104  
Miller models of 250A and lighter, also have only 40% going down to 20% duty cycle.... ;)

Try this guy on for size. From .020 to 1" in a single pass. I don't think you'll find anything you can't do with it.
Miller - TIG Welders - Dynasty 700
All depends on what you're willing to spend.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #105  
surely you meant your post as some kind of joke......if you are serious, please show your post to your employer. if this is a serious post, then you have no idea at all what you are talking about. tell us what it is that you are "welding" everyday at work. for the life of me, i cannot understand what compels people to spout off information when they do not have the slightest clue what they are talking about. and no matter how many "friends" show you, there is absolutely no substitute for properly learning the basics, the real basics. you have certainly proven that with your post.

I'm certainly on your page
1" thick = 350 to 400amps, time gas or some other hot sheilding gas and the machines I used to run years ago were worth $4K each.

Dan

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #106  
Miller models of 250A and lighter, also have only 40% going down to 20% duty cycle.... ;)

There is Miller and then there is Miller!:D:D

Attachments

• miller time.jpg
    miller time.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 119
   / Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #107  
O.k. you're clearly pointing your arrows at me by ripping my remark out of its context, so i'll rephrase: I said that a low ampere rod welder is far more capable than a MIG welder of the same ampere, low ampere MIG welders are only good for light sheetmetal welding: Thin sheetmetal is not the common use on a farm. When not used very often, your Co2/Argon shield gas may leak away, and the welding wire can get rusty, causing it to jam in the welding torch. All reasons why i advised these beginning welders to buy a stick welder, purely from a practical point of view, from personal experience with 200A buzz box, 180A MIG, the 250A mig i use while waiting on my new MIG, and the 450 and 500A industrial units at industrial outfits i have worked in the past..

Appreciate the reply, curious about your statement though about low ampere MIG welder only being good for sheet metal. Are you referring to the 140a 100v models or something smaller. Specs and anecdotal evidence would indicate models in the size mentioned can be used for welding more than sheet metal.

Is that a serious question ? I am more than willing to share my knowledge about welders with anyone who cares for... Its just hard to estimate the amount and type of work you'll use a welder for once you've bought your first one, and have gotten the hang of welding...

No that question was not a serious one, my point being that there really is no single correct answer which you've pretty much outlined above so there's no reason to preclude lighter duty welders, they're inexpensive and would be nice to have one around anyway for portability and small jobs should one decide to upgrade later.

Thanks for the informative reply but I think you missed one very important criteria for choosing the size of welder for the hobbiest which likely trumps all others, what is the garage wired for. Typical 60 amp sub-panels can handle a 250v 30amp receptacle for a 180 amp welder is easy enough but doubt a 50 amp for something larger. Being new to welding and without knowing my particular needs except they would be minimal, my criteria was simply to purchase a welder which matched the 30amp 250v receptacle I had available and I assume many new to the hobby use similar criteria.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #108  
Everyone is focused on welding 3 foot battleship armor in a signal pass. Lets be realistic, the rule of thumb is 1 amp welding current for each 0.001 inch of thickness. Take 1/8 inch stock, convert it to decimal, 1/8 = 0.125 inches. 0.125/0.001 = 125 amps. Now there is no reason a 90 amp unit could not weld the same stock, but it will take some preparation like a V notch or welding both sides to get full penetration. If you choose a unit that is minimal than getting full penetration will be more difficult. Welding 1/4 inch is also possible but will take more time and skill with a low power unit.
There are three tears of welders. Professional, mechanic and consumer. Professional grade is the most expensive and affordable only from the used market. Mechanic grade is/can be reasonably priced new or used. The consumer grades vary in quality from acceptable to junk. And that's what makes horse races.

Now back to working on my time machine.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #110  
Will you buy me one Cyril? :D

I wish! When I first started looking at welders, I only looked at the specs for what they would do. I found this pretty little thing... then I looked at the price.:eek: Nearly all of what I will be working on will range from sheet metal to 1/4" material. I decided, that for now, if I need something thicker welded, I will continue to use the shop I have used in the past and settled for the Miller 211, a 210A Mig. I keep looking at the Tig now & then just to drool, but unfortunately, I just can't justify $15K for a welder right now.:(

I'll make you a deal though... If I ever find the justification to buy it, you're welcome to come over and play with it!:D