Welding - I want to learn ..need advice.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #31  
I don't "prefer MIG" because I want to weld,not mess with knobs,gas,rusty wire,clogged tips,running out of gas or having it blow away,grinding down the metal first,having to pull the welder around,keeping the leads perfectly straight....the list is endless.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #32  
I don't "prefer MIG" because I want to weld,not mess with knobs,gas,rusty wire,clogged tips,running out of gas or having it blow away,grinding down the metal first,having to pull the welder around,keeping the leads perfectly straight....the list is endless.

I never use gas, I buy the wire that does not require gas. Only have two nobs, Wire speed and Tip temp. The leads are never strait, The tip only plugs if you get too close to the weld and you can usually pull the slag from the tip with your gloved finger. And if I do clean it real well then I can weld steel up to almost 1/4" thick. I got this welder just to see how a wire feed would do. It is the most inexpensive model I could fined. Lincoln Weld Pack 100, $150 at Sam's Club. I have had it for almost ten years and it does a great job. I even welded TPH Items (A ripper and tiller arms) and the welds have held up for years. And if they didn't Yes I also have several Miller and Lincoln stick units 220 plug and gas. We even pick up a diesel unit last spring!:D:D

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #33  

That, my friend, is a nice entry-level MIG welder ! I say entry level only because the so-called pros here will reply that it's not really a "pro" model... Put it this way, unless you weld for a living, that machine will do most anything you need done that a MIG is appropriate for.
I have the next model down, the 180. Auto-set is a good feature, you dial in the material thickness, tell it what diameter wire you're using, and weld. Simple as that.
The MVP plug gives you better portability, you don't always need a 220 V supply to use the 211.

I have no experience with the 211, but the 180 has done what I needed so far at least. Good versatile MIG.

Chilly

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #34  
This is getting as bad as a fuel/oil/lube discussion :) It seems we all have our opinions, which is a good thing. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

When I got the MIG I had a choice of a plasma cutter, a small TIG, or the MIG with spool gun for aluminum. It fit my needs the best, so that's what I got. No regrets yet, although I'm keeping my eyes open for a good used stick welder for those jobs that would be better done with the stick, like old rusty metal, or heavier stuff than 3/8 steel.

I think the OP would be better served by going up-scale a couple notches, in whichever direction. Tractor type welding is typically a bit heavier material than the 125 is meant for, and the option to use shielding gas is a plus, whether you choose to use it or not. Resale appeal will be better too.

A stick with AC/DC capability is a plus, in my opinion.

Chilly

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #35  
OP said [and my question is will this work for light fabrication and also patching cracks in steel..like 1/8 inch cracks in the top of a bush hog ? Could I use this welder to say..fabricate a set of clamp on forks for my FEL] answer is Yes to first question ,2nd question yes looks from your picture your tractor is a sub comp most likly bucket cap around 600 lb's with forks out in front of bucket I doudt you will lifting more than 300-400lbs. if you don't over engineer the forks this welder should be able to handle the job

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #36  
That, my friend, is a nice entry-level MIG welder ! I say entry level only because the so-called pros here will reply that it's not really a "pro" model... Put it this way, unless you weld for a living, that machine will do most anything you need done that a MIG is appropriate for.
I have the next model down, the 180. Auto-set is a good feature, you dial in the material thickness, tell it what diameter wire you're using, and weld. Simple as that.
The MVP plug gives you better portability, you don't always need a 220 V supply to use the 211.

I have no experience with the 211, but the 180 has done what I needed so far at least. Good versatile MIG.

Chilly

That part's OK, because I'm not a pro... Like the OP, I want to learn to weld. I'm hesitent to get a stick because of the initial length (and then changing length) of the stick, and all the different settings (same reason for not going with a higher end mig). I figured The auto-set would be a good way to start (less settings). When you say "that machine will do most anything you need done that a MIG is appropriate for", what would a mig not be appropriate for (excluding rusty metal)?

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #37  

I hear ya. I can make a quicky farm repair on a rusty, painted piece of metal in a strong wind while it's starting to rain with my stick welder and some 6011 and know it's gonna work.. though be ugly.. :)

soundguy

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #38  
There is some good advice in this thread and some crap as well. The recommendations from the people posting here, in terms of the type of welder to buy are all over the place, and they only mentioned a few of the choices. After reading this thread, if I had no experience in welding, I would have no idea what to do. In answer to your question, I feel the welder you were looking at could do what you want to do. What you want to do with the welder could affect your choice. I wanted to learning about welding to do welding art primarily.

I agree with those that say to take a formal course. I did that myself last winter at the college that I taught at before I retired. The course was free for me but would have cost about $1,100 otherwise. We had 1 hour of lecture and 2.5 hours of lab, twice a week for 15 weeks. In the lab, we started with stick welding, then learned how to mig weld. If we wanted to, we could go beyond that, so I spend a good bit of time welding with an oxy/act torch, and welding aluminum with a mig welder. Also I did some braizing and soldering. I didn't use the tig welders however. Our class had an instructor and two lab assistants. One of the lab assistants was a female. I found watching each of the three of them weld, and then having them critique my welding technique (as I was welding) to be very instructive. Each had their own technique for doing things. I found this variety to be useful. You will never have that experience with a DVD or reading a book.

I recommend that you not buy a welder before taking the class. The class should allow you to test drive the different kinds of welders, thus avoiding buying the wrong type the first time. It definitely changed my mind about what welder to buy. Of course the welders in the class were all 3 phase welders (440v) costing thousands of dollars with 100% duty cycles for anything I did.

This winter I am taking the advanced welding course at the college.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #39  
As you can see from the varied opinions, all types and brands of welding machines might be good depending on what you want. It's probably stated a dozen time already, but once more for good measure. Make sure that you buy something that you can get serviced and parts for if purchasing a wire feed welder because you will be needing them. Each type of welding equipment has a unique place in fabrication as you can see from the various posts here where many people have several machines. All are useful and regardless of type machine used to weld, a good weld bevel is going to make for a stronger weld than just laying a bead on top of a crack. Best weld is a double V where you weld half the thickness from each side so you have solid weld metal which is then stronger than the parent metal. This can be done with any machine. Even thin sheet metal is better when welded on both sides if possible. Just weld a bead on one side then grind to clean metal and weld one on the opposite side. Alternately use a piece of backer plate to weld against to get full penetration. Dont be put off by appearance when you first start welding, ugly welds can be strong also if they are fused properly and solid with no slag or porosity. As for brands of welders, I have used all the top names and I doubt any one can tell the difference in blind test using one brand over the other when they are working properly. The difference in major brands over off brands like Chicago electric MIGHT BE, life span and duty cycle. Duty cyle is important if you dont want to be waiting around to weld while the machine cools off. Many of the off brands will only have 30% duty cycle or less in some cases which means that for every minute you weld, you need to let it cool for 2 or more. Even the stick machines have limitations like this, so check this out before you buy. The higher the duty cycle the better and usually more money though. Look for something with at least 60% at rated output. If you plan to weld anything more than 16 gauge plate, go for the 220v machine. It is a little more money but you wont be back in 30 days looking for a new machine like you likely will with a 110V.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #40  
My father in law was a good welder and always wanted to teach me how and I was always too busy to take him up on his offer...and he passed away 5 yrs. ago so now I have a need to learn since I now have the time and would like to be able to fix and fabricate..I saw this welder at TSC ..and my question is will this work for light fabrication and also patching cracks in steel..like 1/8 inch cracks in the top of a bush hog ? Could I use this welder to say..fabricate a set of clamp on forks for my FEL and if not what kind of welder should I be looking for..Here is the one I am considering...Thanks..
Hobart Handler 125 EZ Welder - 3806489 | Tractor Supply Company

get a 225 to 250 amp stick welder used from craigs list for a hundred bucks.

get a friend to show you how to use it in about 20 minutes. It will do 99% of all the welds you need to do in your lifetime.