Welding - I want to learn ..need advice.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
My father in law was a good welder and always wanted to teach me how and I was always too busy to take him up on his offer...and he passed away 5 yrs. ago so now I have a need to learn since I now have the time and would like to be able to fix and fabricate..I saw this welder at TSC ..and my question is will this work for light fabrication and also patching cracks in steel..like 1/8 inch cracks in the top of a bush hog ? Could I use this welder to say..fabricate a set of clamp on forks for my FEL and if not what kind of welder should I be looking for..Here is the one I am considering...Thanks..
Hobart Handler 125 EZ Welder - 3806489 | Tractor Supply Company

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #2  
Take some time at a local high school night class and get all the practise you need. There you will find out that this sheet metal welder is not going to satisfy your welding needs. Go to Craigslist and find a $99 AC "buzzbox" to do this work. I learned all my skills from the night class (had to flunk it 5 times in order to finish all my "farm" projects). Then I bought an old Sears unit. I even did cast iron fixes with it. Now I have a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC (Craigslist $250) and still have not used its full potential. Yes, these are 220 volt machines, but well worth the cost of some wire and a stove plug.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #3  
Take some courses, learn what to do and then invest in a proper welder.:D

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #4  
if you are going to use a mig for general fabrication , you want at least 185 amps , hobart makes a good one that I believe is also available at tsc , get one and practice with it , I guess a course at a high school is okay but SOMETIMES ,those guys are a little self important and frankly a lot of them arent very good welders those who cant do....., no amount of teaching will give you the experience you need to be a competant welder that just my opinion.:)

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #5  
I agree with ZZ.. a lil box like that will be good for sheet metal .. but nothing structural unless you got lots of time.

Start off with 'tombstone' welder.. you can usually find them at garage sales.. etc. old lincoln's ar ehte best.. usually 225a.. sturdy etc.

I use a hobart stickmate 235xl AC only.. some guys like to dc weld.. but I've found for farm projects.. a good old ac buzzbox does the job fine.

I also have a small 115v 30/70a stick welder that uses 1/16 and 5/64 rods for doing thin sheet metal work.. etc.

6011 rod is an ac buzzbox staple.. you can weld together to hunks of painted over rusty metal with it... high penetration.. not too pretty.

6013 on the other hand is lower penetration.. but with prctice.. can lay a bead almost as good as a mig.

( first 2 numbers are the tensile strength.. eg..60 thousand psi.. etc )

get a good angle grinder, chipping hammer, welding apron, gauntlet cuff gloves, a good set of various sized vice grip type tools, and if you can swing it.. an auto darkening helmet to avoid the 'neck snap' style that will likely come with your welder. get 'dry tubes' for your rod as well... also.. ALWAYS where some sort of shoe chap or closed top shoes.. preferably boots... spark/spatter likes to find ways into tennis shoes!

you will want a vice and a dedicated welding table.. and eventually a welding blanket.

this will lead, soon, to the purchase of a chopsaw at least, and perhaps a metal cutting bandsaw, maybe a set of torch bottles as well.. perhaps even a small plasma cutter if you are real lucky and havn't gotten divorced yet.. :)

soundguy

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #6  
My father in law was a good welder and always wanted to teach me how and I was always too busy to take him up on his offer...and he passed away 5 yrs. ago so now I have a need to learn since I now have the time and would like to be able to fix and fabricate..I saw this welder at TSC ..and my question is will this work for light fabrication and also patching cracks in steel..like 1/8 inch cracks in the top of a bush hog ? Could I use this welder to say..fabricate a set of clamp on forks for my FEL and if not what kind of welder should I be looking for..Here is the one I am considering...Thanks..
Hobart Handler 125 EZ Welder - 3806489 | Tractor Supply Company

That wire feed welder you're looking at is probably too dinky for fabricating those forks.

I have a Hobart LX AC/DC stick welder (220 volt type) that would handle that job. TSC has these for $350-400.

The easiest rods to use are 7014 and 7024 drag rods (1/8" dia).

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #7  
As a former nuclear certified welder,welding instructor.........save yourself a lot of frustration an take some classes on welding in general.Learn the basics
Minimum for household use.........220 amp AC. machine......can be purchased at the big box stores......STICK welding,stay away from the wire feed machines(for now) buy a good hand grinder.......all related safety equiptment.
Good luck with it. ,have fun.........:)

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #9  
Start with a 110v machine like a Hobart Handler 140.Don't buy off brands.Wear parts are hard to find.Once you have a good understanding of welding,then move up to a more expensive 220v machine.Those cheap welders aren't good for beginners.Control over the weld isn't as good.

/ Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. #10  
although you can learn to weld, there is no substitute for having a good understanding of the basics. once you have the basics, you will be able to figure out most of the rest with practice. like anything else, if you are going to be proficient, you must have an understanding of what is taking place. it all depends on what your expectations are. best regards