Log skidding cone

/ Log skidding cone #1  

Chilly807

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT
After pricing what it would cost to get one made, I decided to build my own. It's intended to fit over the end of a log, the choker extends through the nose cone to the hauling cable.

I built it from 1/4 aluminum plate, cut with a recip saw. Welded with Miller 180 MIG w/spoolgun, argon shielding gas, and 5356 wire.

As it pulls through the woods, the cone keeps the log from hooking on trees, submarining under other logs, and keeps the cable from getting fouled in general. Ideally it would be round, but I don't have the gear to roll plate with, so the pyramid will have to do. I suspect eventually it may take a bit rounder form anyway...

Trials will have to wait until the ground firms up in late spring !!

DSC00226.jpg

Chilly

/ Log skidding cone #2  
Nice cone! Will you wear that as a hat 'till the weather is better?:laughing:
I have a plastic version of the cone I got from DR. power equipment in Vergennes, VT a few years back. Haven't used it yet, but will soon.
Link below:
DR Power Equipment

/ Log skidding cone #3  
Nice work!
I've been considering fabbing one up too, although I'd use steel since I don't have aluminum welding capabilities.
Is the small end open? The plastic commercial ones have the end open for the choker chain/cable to come through. What's the chain on the side for?

/ Log skidding cone #4  
You'll have to get some pictures of it in action? I no longer skid my lumber, log length gets loaded into trailer and driven out to a staging area. Fire wood gets blocked on site then driven out and split while stacking. The mini ex with thumb has spoiled our operation :D

/ Log skidding cone #5  
Nice ! I was just looking at the plastic cones...... I was shocked at how expensive they are for a piece of plastic. :confused2:

/ Log skidding cone #6  
Uh oh; will there be a run on the large plastic highway cones used in traffic direction?:)

/ Log skidding cone
Nice work!
I've been considering fabbing one up too, although I'd use steel since I don't have aluminum welding capabilities.
Is the small end open? The plastic commercial ones have the end open for the choker chain/cable to come through. What's the chain on the side for?

I was considering steel too, but the aluminum was quite a bit lighter. The small end has a 2 inch opening, the sides are 16 inches at the wide end, and the whole thing is 18 inches long. Most stuff I cut will fit inside, as long as it stays on the front of the log it should work ok. If I have to, I'll stick a big carabiner through the choker chain where it emerges from the cone to keep the cone in place. I

The chain is a carry handle, it's an awkward shape to carry without one.

/ Log skidding cone
Nice ! I was just looking at the plastic cones...... I was shocked at how expensive they are for a piece of plastic. :confused2:

Yeah, they are pricey. I skid a bit in the summer months, wasn't sure how well the plastic would hold up to bare ground, I doubt there would be any problems in the snow. If I'd bought the aluminum plate new, it would have been almost $150 Cdn just for the plate.. I got it at a scrapyard for $25, easier to swallow.

I've seen them made up from blue plastic 55 gallon drum material, how well those work I don't know. They were riveted together, the seam would be the weak point I think.

Chilly

/ Log skidding cone
Uh oh; will there be a run on the large plastic highway cones used in traffic direction?:)

If I could have found one big enough and thick enough to stand up to some use, it would have been a goner..:)

Chilly

/ Log skidding cone
I had a chance to try the cone this morning, it worked better than I had dared to hope! I skidded out two good size hardwoods, a birch and a maple that I had doubts the rope would handle.

I use a snatch block and 5/8 nylon rope, no winch in the picture as yet.

I made a point of not trying to clear the path, which was about 150 feet long and uphill all the way. The maple was about 14 inches at the butt, just fit inside the cone. I welded a piece of pipe inside the nose of the cone last week to reinforce the small end and keep the grab hook on the rope from going back inside. I've got a bent grab hook, I think it was originally part of a load binder to get a straighter pull on the chain. Works well for this.

It pulled both trees out without any snags at all, load on the tractor seemed lighter since the butt end of the log wasn't plowing it's way. No dents or other damage to the cone.

The picture quality isn't great (phone camera), I'll have to wait until the ground dries up a bit to get better pictures.

SSPX0104.jpg

SSPX0106.jpg

SSPX0107.jpg

SSPX0108.jpg

Chilly