Weldable Grab Hooks

/ Weldable Grab Hooks #1  

Whitey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota B21 TLB
I hope this question has not been asked to many times.....here goes, can someone explain to me the difference between grade 30 and grade 70 when it relates to "weldable Grab Hooks" and if that's not enough......can someone direct me to a source for 3/8" hooks made in the USA!

Thanks

/ Weldable Grab Hooks #3  
I hope this question has not been asked to many times.....here goes, can someone explain to me the difference between grade 30 and grade 70 when it relates to "weldable Grab Hooks" and if that's not enough......can someone direct me to a source for 3/8" hooks made in the USA!

Thanks

I don't think they are made in the USA, but plenty of TBN'ers including myself have bought hooks from AW Direct. They have 4 sizes available.

/ Weldable Grab Hooks #4  
JJ has it right, the grade 70 are typically referred to as "transport chain", and are rated quite a bit higher than grade 30. It's usually a pale yellow color as well. I broke several logging chokers I had made from grade 30 galvanized chain before I finally said "enough is enough" and bought enough grade 70 chain to replace all of them.

I'm surprised you can find grade 30 grab hooks.. usually the chain itself is available, but the end fittings (hooks, clevises, etc) are pretty good stuff.

Chilly

/ Weldable Grab Hooks
Thanks everyone for weighing in.........grade 70 looks like the way to go.:thumbsup:

/ Weldable Grab Hooks #9  
Thanks everyone for weighing in.........grade 70 looks like the way to go.:thumbsup:

Talk to some wrecker drivers in your area and find out where they get their chains. I buy my weldable hooks from Rocky Mtn. Wrecker here in SLC., all good stuff.

/ Weldable Grab Hooks #10  
i believe that you use a 7018 low hydrogen rod to weld such hooks. crosby and dominion chain , peerless and there are many others that make such hooks. A towing company would be possibly the easiest or grainger if one is nearby. For overhead lifting chain goes as high as grade100. but logging chain 3/8 is rated at 7100 pounds working load limit a transport 70 3/8 chain is rated at 6600 pounds according to dominion chain catalog have fun