Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Gloves for welding?

I been looking into this welding thing for a while now, and luckily I have a neighbor Harrison who is quite a welder. He has a torch thing and some kind of arc welder calls a stick machine, and one called a mig machne, and he even has this mig machine he just recently got that runs from a rechargable battery. Now right now Harrison's on vacation visiting his second son's family in Arkansas, but when he gets back he's going to start teaching me welding.

Thing is I want to be prepared, I mean the man is going out of his way to teach me, and using his machines and cornsumables whatever they are, so I figure it's just right for me to be prepared to learn when he goes to teaching me. To that end I went over to the school and tried buying one of the welding books from back when they taught welding, only to learn they won't sell the books even though they no longer use them. I tell you I got a little riled over that, and got a whole lot more riled when not a single one of them school employees was anything near helpful. Good lord they got that dang school set up like a prison now, you gotta know who you want to talk to before the guard at the door will even let you in. How did I know who I wanted to talk to. Took the better part of 2 hours before the guard let me in to go talk to some fellow in the office. No wonder the kids don't learn in thse places.

Well, as I was saying, I want to be prepared, so I'm thinking I need some good welding gloves. Harrison has several pair and from what I've seen, he seems to swithc gloves doing different jobs of welding. I know I probably should have asked before he left, but I didn't so I'm hopeing you fellows know something about gloves and welding here.
    Now I also have what could almost be described as a fear of electricity, and most of them welding machines seem to be electric, even the battery driven one. Just always seems to me a ounce of precaution beats the snott out of a visit to the Emergency Room over to the hospital, so I'm wondering if I should get rubber gloves like them linemen fellows wear when they ride them fancy boom trucks. I've talked to a few of them fellows a time or two when the wife's sister worked there, and they say them gloves are good for thousands of volts. Now how many volts does a welder have? Would them rubber gloves be sufficient and would they be a good idea?
    Of course them lineman gloves are a bit bulky, and I do have small hands, so they just might be too much if a welder don't have thousands of volts. That being the case might be I could get by with them rubber dishwashing gloves. They'd fit my hands better being that they make em for wimmenfolk hands.

What do you fellows think?
    Am I being overly cautious?

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Default Re: Gloves for welding?

Go to welding supply and buy welding gloves. The issue is not electric shock but hot sparks. You need gloves that safely cover your sleeves and be thick enough to let you touch hot metal. Also get long pants and work boots above your ankles. If you need welding hood you can buy an electronic one at Harbor Freight for about 50 bucks.

JCB

Mostly you want gloves for the heat. Day one I'd show up with the heaviest pair of leather gloves I own. No rubber or dishwasher gloves. Then ask what you need.

Sometimes I use big leather gauntlets when welding heavy metal. Sometimes I use linesman gloves or even driving gloves if I'm doing something little.

There will be sparks, so wear something that can handle sparks (think carhartt) and that you won't mind if it gets burned.

Most importantly will be your eyes, absolutely essential. If your neighbor doesn't have two face shields (hoods) you'll be dead in the water and won't be able to see it learn anything. Most guys love auto-darkening helmets. So do I. They are probably the easiest to learn with and don't cost much more. They are pretty cheap and widely available now.

Good luck!

Joe

Wait until Harrison gets back before you do anything. He has extra equipment as you mentioned so he will have something for you to start with on Day 1. After seeing the uses, options, and under his advice you can go buy your own.

Tractor Supply usually has what is needed.

A fear of electricity does not bode well for learning how to weld. You may decide to drop the whole idea after trying it. Then you would be stuck with gloves and a helmet if you jump into it too quickly.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

"Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

Ferrd, you've got the right attitude by wanting to be prepared! I'm sure Harrison will appreciate that. I'd also wait and see because I'm sure he'll have some and really when he's showing you how he'll need them on and when you're practicing you'll need them and he won't. Have you tried the library for those books you're looking for? Or Google it and you'll get all you want and then some right on the information highway.
    Jay

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

What equipment are you plan on using to weld with ? I never had anyone teach me how to weld, but wish I did. I have seen those leather gloves in TSC and thought about buying them but never did. I been welding with the hobby 110V wire feed hobart welder and started out with no gloves and would get burned from sparks. Not a pleasant feeling, but I would get it done. I started using old cowhide gloves with cuffs and they seemed to do the job to protect my hands from sparks. They were thin enough for me to feel the work, I am not sure if the thicker gloves is something I want for hobby work and small repairs. If you are starting out, perhaps getting a real welding gloves is what you need. Some of the advice I got were from the local welding store so I advise you to do the same. They seem to have more choices and things to get. I bought one of the cheap green button shirts for extended welding projects and I love it.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 2360

The type of gloves for welding depends on the type of welding you are doing.

For the MIG machine the gloves are still a gauntlet style that cover part of the forearm but they are little thinner for better dexterity.

For stick welding the gloves are thicker for better heat and spark resistance. Get the gloves that allow you to handle the work without having to worry about them falling or being clumsy.This goes for whatever type of welding you are doing.

There is also a type of welding called TIG which uses thin gloves. They are even thinner than regular leather work gloves. They are so thin because you use a thin wire that is fed into the joint as you weld. TIG is little differnet than stick and MIG because the electrode (wire/stick) is used up. In TIG it is an external wire that is fed into the joint as it is welded, that's why the thinnner gloves.

Don't buy gloves with cloth backs. They are a waste when welding. To clean up a weld after it's done it can be ground down. The sparks from a grinder will destroy the cloth backed gloves in seconds leaving your hands open to the spray of sparks(read as burns). Get a good quality pair of all leather. Over time and with the heat of welding they will shrink a little and form to fit youyr hands perfectly, provided that is that they aren't too loose to start with. You will want them snug but not tight.

I use something similar to these:
    Bob Dale Gloves - Glove Information

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

A few burns from sparks is bad enough, the UV radiation is worse. Exposed skin when welding leads directly to a bad "sunburn". I learned this the hard way. If it's exposed, it'll turn red same as my bald head does in the sun.

Chilly

Veteran Member

I use a leather apron and long gloves. I also like sleeves for protection of the upper arm.

http://images.google.com/images?clie...ed=0CCkQsAQwAw

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

IMO, What your neighbor is doing is HUGE. I have tried to get into local colleges for welding courses, and have asked friends to teach me. Maybe it is me but I have had no luck and have had to self train (and it REALLY shows).

This said, going with nothing is probably not a bad thing, but right off the bat saying you are willing to go buy what you need at his recommendation, and that you want to buy more expendables will be a huge plus on your side.

Carl
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast