Millermatic 350P (first welds)

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds)
Truer words never spoken:thumbsup: When i bought my welder, it was one time i should have listened to the salesman:D He said i wouldnt be happy with the capicity of my 135.. he was right. I was back a couple months later for the Thunderbolt....

Nice welds on the head roller. I havent ran pulse but ive read good things. Any large production (300A+) welders ive ran were Mutiprocess with external wirefeeders but no pulse. (100% duty cycle in a heavy fab shop...it was then i discovered that i wasnt a welder... but a warper:D i guess there is such a thing as too much heat :D )

Jason. You'll love the pulse when you try it. Sounds like you got some good experience on great equipment. Here at our little shop you never know what the next job coming through the door is going to be so that's why I always go larger than I need with the equipment.
If I was doing just automotive repairs I wouldn't need half of the tools I have but the best thing around doing more than auto repairs is that if one type of work slows down there's always the other stuff to do which is nice

We just ordered a new knee mill for the shop. We got a small mill/drill here and it's been great for years but it's to light and just can't do the larger jobs as fast and as accurate as the big guys so I'll just be using it now as a drill press. The little mill/drill is around 450 lbs and the new mill is 2700 lbs. Good machining tools need to be big and heavy in my opinion and again I'm buying bigger than I need ;) Paul

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #12  
Paul,

Congrats on the new machine! Sounds like it is going to work out really well for you! I've also read about your new milling machine and the fun you are having getting the "new" machine delivered!:p

I'll look forward to your post once the new milling machine arrives as well as all the neat projects you'll be doing on these 2 new machines.:D

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #13  
Beautiful welds as we've come to expect from you, Paul. I'm curious to see a faint straight line down the center of the weld lines in both processes in your original 2 photos - what makes that happen?
Jim

Paul,

Congrats on the new machine! Sounds like it is going to work out really well for you! I've also read about your new milling machine and the fun you are having getting the "new" machine delivered!:p

I'll look forward to your post once the new milling machine arrives as well as all the neat projects you'll be doing on these 2 new machines.:D

Thanks Thomas. We put in three new miller rigs this spring. haven't used them much as of yet because we're flat out a the automotive stuff but I'll get at the welding stuff again soon.

Ya the new mill didn't work out. The company said they want to do the right thing and get me the new one I asked for. They did email me photo's of the new mil as they received it and will email me as they add the options I requested. It has given me time to retool for the new mill. I have some cool projects in mind for this guy if I ever receive it. I attached the pics of the new mill for you to view. These pics are the bare machine without the options. How's the new bota?

Beautiful welds as we've come to expect from you, Paul. I'm curious to see a faint straight line down the center of the weld lines in both processes in your original 2 photos - what makes that happen?
Jim

Thanks Jim. Yes there is just a slight line there. It's almost like a pencil mark. You can rub your finger over it and there's no feel to it. Might be caused by the wire as it's coming out of the gun. The weld is as smooth as silk. After using the Pulse mode I don't think I'll be going back to the regular mode any time soon. Appreciate your comments my friend. Paul

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 378
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 265
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 272
  • new5.jpg
    new5.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 306
   / Millermatic 350P (first welds) #15  
The line you see is from the weld metal being sucked into the joint crack. The weld definitely can break at that point, even though it seems negligible. A little weave can help clear that right up.

The line you see is from the weld metal being sucked into the joint crack. The weld definitely can break at that point, even though it seems negligible. A little weave can help clear that right up.

I'm not convinced about that. I've laid allot of mig welds (20 years worth) and I've never had a weld break and I doubt that weld will be the one to break.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #17  
Tonight I got the opportunity to try out our new Millermatic 350P mig welder. In regular mig mode was great but holy smoke when I switched over to pulse mode the world changed and for the better.

In regular mig mode it's sounds like your typical bacon frying and does a great weld but when you switch over to pulse mode it sounds like a bee buzzing and man does it ever weld hot and fast in that mode. I'm thinking I'll be in pulse mode for a long time from now on :laughing:

Here's the first two welds I did with this machine. I was using 3/8 flat bar and .045 wire and 90-10 (Blueshield 6)

The sample marked "M" is mig mode and the "P" naturally is pulse. In time I'll get the welds even better. It does take a little time getting used to setting up the dials on the beast. The small marks on the weld is the small amount of scale from the gas and can be brushed off. You'll notice there's more splatter on the regular mig sample and less on the pulse one.

hello 4shorts ordered the miller 350P yesterday for the shop, can't wait to put down some seat time with the welder I know you have had yours for a couple of years now how do you like it??

hello 4shorts ordered the miller 350P yesterday for the shop, can't wait to put down some seat time with the welder I know you have had yours for a couple of years now how do you like it??

Congrats on your new Miller. It is hands down the best unit I've ever used. Crazy weld quality and that's added up to more work for it and happy customers. :) I also run the Millermatic 252 and like it as well but the 350P is the machine I really like to use.

Here's a job I did about a month ago for a machinist friend of mine. I used our Miller Dynasty 200 DX and tigged the root pass then I switched over to the Millermatic 350P in pulse mode to complete it. I setup the welding postioner and here's the result.
My buddy was happy and so was the ships engineers. I was pleased when they said it passed the pressure test :D

Pictures were taken with my Iphone :eek:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
[/COLOR]

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #19  
4shorts you sure do make some beautiful welds!:thumbsup:

Out of all the welding / tool forums I belong to, never heard a bad word about the MM350P.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #20  
The 350p is what we have at work.

Easiest and fastest way to mig weld IMO. Definatally lays some pretty welds.