Millermatic 350P (first welds)

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #41  
Well its Been flawless but I don't use it exclusively. I tend to use it on the larger jobs more than the smaller ones. The pulse spray is great but very hot to use. When you want to do top quality welds this is the unit to use but on heavier metals.
I use my MM 252 70% of the time. Fast set up for general mig use and I just love the 252. I run .035 on the 252 and .045 on the 350P. 90/10 gas on the 350P and a special blend on the 252. I think its 25/75 but they call it blue shield something or another.

The 350 P with the 30 amp spool gun is great for aluminum and its the unit I use for all my mig aluminum work.
Both units have been 100% reliable. As a matter of fact I've never had any issues with any of my Miller gear
( knock on wood)

I have a Dynasty 200DX that I bough new with over 2400 hours on it with zero problems so I'm a happy camper when it comes to Miller.

I'm somewhat undecided on whether to just get a 252 - or spring for the 350. I'd like to be able to do aluminum, and I'm assuming that the 350 will do everything that the 252 can do - and then some.

Is there a reason why you choose the 252 over the 350 70% of the time? I'm wondering why not just use the 350 for everything? Is it just a convenience thing more than anything - so you don't have to swap the config around on a single welder to do different jobs?

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #42  
I dont know what the price difference is, but I personally like the pulse capability of the 350P. SOOO much smoother and faster welding with less spatter. But if thats not your thing, and you would rarely use that feature, then IMO, get the 252.

We had the 350P and a smaller (either 250 or 300A miller) where I worked. Never used the smaller one.

So yea, you are pretty much right that the 350 will do everything the 252 will do and then some. The some being pulse and some more amps.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #43  
......but I personally like the pulse capability of the 350P. SOOO much smoother and faster welding with less spatter
Same here, it's great if the fitup is less than perfect, thin material is so much easier with the pulse, I've welded 14-16 ga wipecoat and uncoated with .035 wire no problem. If you have any amount of aluminum the Cobra push/pull is the cats behind but you'd near a fair bit of use to justify the gun price. A 30A spoolgun plugs in and for $1300± probably would be a better investment if you don't have a lot to do especially if you're switching back and forth a lot.
Other than the initial problems I've had with the one I use at work it's a good working machine....knock on wood LOL...Mike

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #44  
The only problem with the 350p is price. Its like 2x the cost of the 252 :eek:

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #45  
I dont know what the price difference is, but I personally like the pulse capability of the 350P. SOOO much smoother and faster welding with less spatter. But if thats not your thing, and you would rarely use that feature, then IMO, get the 252.

We had the 350P and a smaller (either 250 or 300A miller) where I worked. Never used the smaller one.

So yea, you are pretty much right that the 350 will do everything the 252 will do and then some. The some being pulse and some more amps.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Ultimately I would like to be able to do aluminum - easily. And even not doing aluminum from what I've been reading the pulse feature just gives a much nicer weld on steel. I'm thinking I may end up using this for some semi production work and the ability to make a really nice looking weld makes the jump in price seem worth it.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #46  
If you are even considering the semi-production work, speed would be what makes it worth it IMO. Cause you can lay a given length bead about twice as fast as with short-circuit welding.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #47  
If you can swing it, Go with the 350. Twice the price of a 252 yes. Why do you think that is? The 252 is 1970's technology... The 350 was a problem child like the Acces for Miller in their early days. Most blew up boards to beat the band but they got that figured out now. Buy it and evolve into 21st century technology and the new way of the world or buy the 1970's technology 252..

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #48  
Thanks for the responses. I think I've mentally justified for myself that I'm going to get the 350P - now I just need to come up with the cash.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #49  
If you can swing it, Go with the 350. Twice the price of a 252 yes. Why do you think that is? The 252 is 1970's technology... The 350 was a problem child like the Acces for Miller in their early days. Most blew up boards to beat the band but they got that figured out now. Buy it and evolve into 21st century technology and the new way of the world or buy the 1970's technology 252..

I did end up swinging it. Bought the welder late last year but never got it up and running until just a few months ago. The welder is way better than my skillset. It's probably been ten years since I did any significant MIG welding - but I've been able to lay a few really nice welds with it - and a few hack jobs. I just have to practice a little more and learn the settings a little better.

So far though - very happy with it.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds)
Wow. I started this thread four years ago! Where did the time go? Anyway I'm still using our 350P and it's worked flawlessly in the four years we've had it. Just last week I did a pile of welding on a bucket for a Cat 320 excavator and the 350P saved me a pile of time doing it.

Really pleased we bought it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 200