Millermatic 350P (first welds)

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #61  
That is what I have seem to have found in my reading. Pulse is so cool but I feel I am only using half the machine, I guess that is ok!

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #62  
Nonsense. Pulse weld whenever you can. Or even spray weld on a non-pulse machine. Only short circuit when necessary as it is the weakest, least penetrating, and slowest form of mig welding.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #63  
Jim are you using the pulse setting when welding? Is it hard to set up?

Terry

I used the pulse welding right from the outset. It's been a 2-3 months since I've used the thing , but I don't remember it being hard to setup at all. I basically just used the card that came with the machine as a base point - and then played around with it until I got a good weld. It's been a few years, but I've done a decent amount of MIG welding - and some TIG welding too. I think some of this stuff is like riding a bicycle - in that you don't consciously think about what it was you did exactly - but you just know how to do it.

My suggestion would be to get some scrap steel and just start working with it until you get some good welds out of it.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #64  
I used the pulse welding right from the outset. It's been a 2-3 months since I've used the thing , but I don't remember it being hard to setup at all. I basically just used the card that came with the machine as a base point - and then played around with it until I got a good weld. It's been a few years, but I've done a decent amount of MIG welding - and some TIG welding too. I think some of this stuff is like riding a bicycle - in that you don't consciously think about what it was you did exactly - but you just know how to do it. My suggestion would be to get some scrap steel and just start working with it until you get some good welds out of it.

Thanks,Jim. I would have to purchase the Optima Mig Pulse Control pendant for my multi process unit. At a new price of $1400 and mixed reviews regarding set up I'm not in a hurry to purchase one. I assume that having the pulser built in on your machine even though it is not synergic, it is more user friendly than what I could expect on mine.

Terry

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #65  
The 350 is pretty easy. My only previous mig experience is with a small Lincoln 155 portable (once or twice.) This is a whole new world.
I just dial to what the chart says and go.

Speaking of that, my machine has no chart inside cover. shouldn't there be one in there? need to photocopy the manual or see if miller will send me one.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #66  
Terry,

The 350P is a synergic control machine in pulse mode.

/ Millermatic 350P (first welds) #67  
   / Millermatic 350P (first welds) #70  
First, I want to thank 4shorts for starting this thread, and everyone who has posted in it. I have read every post in this thread. (Even the post(s) which referred to the machine as the "MillerProblemMatic" or words to that effect.) Second, since this problem is entirely Millermatic 350P related, I wanted to post here instead of starting a new thread. Here goes...

I bought a used Millermatic 350P in 2011 which has been working fine until this last week.

Millermatic 350P
Year Mfg: 2007/Jan. LH010001 Style: LH01
Model: Millermatic 350P
Stock No.: 907379
Serial No.: LH480282B
Stock No. 907379
Serial No.: LH490232B

Before I purchased it, I called Miller and was told that the circuit boards had not been replaced in it.

It recently started to fail intermittently.

When it works without issue, I turn it on, it makes a small hum, displays "MM" and "350P," then displays the voltage/wire speed setting last used. I just went out and turned it on, and it did this just fine.

Earlier this week, I got a "HELP 3" trouble code. Since the Bernard Q300 mig gun trigger lock was cracked and would sometimes get stuck depressed, I replaced the trigger with a new non-lock trigger and the "HELP 3" code went away.

Yesterday, I was using the machine outside in 90F heat and various times when I would turn the machine on it would intermittently variously:

a. Start with a large "hum," display "MM" and "350P" then flicker, then go dark and the hum would be barely audible. If I pull the trigger there is no gas and no wire feed.

b. Not start at all.

c. Not start with a large "hum," but display the "MM" and "350P" but remains dark and any hum is barely audible. If I pull the trigger, there is no gas and no wire feed.

d. Not start with a large "hum," but display the "MM" and "350P" and then show 21.5 volts and 400 wires peed (when my last use was 21.5/280) and then I would dial back to my intended 20.5/280 and it might run for a few welds, then go completely dark with no gas, no wire feed when I pulled the trigger.

e. One time yesterday the "HELP 3" trouble code came back.

f. After all of the foregoing, it would start and work perfectly for multiple welds until I turned it off.

My machine is set up for 240volts single phase input, but I live in a rural area and I wonder if my power is suspect.

I recently moved the machine in the back of a trailer 100 miles to its current location.

I took the cover off when I bought it to read the serial number from the board to the MIller technician and the boards seemed clean, I can unplug it and do it again and look for screws which have vibrated loose, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: