The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics #1  

Spudland_Dave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935
So I'm inching towards pulling the trigger on a plasma....I'm still debating on weather or not its even worth it to me, but I'm at least wanting to finalize what I want if I do decide to go ahead.

What I'm looking at...

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 vs Miller Spectrum 875

I was sold on the TD 52 for quite a while...seen one in action at a trade show, all searches on the interwebs say its a nice machine, but all people involved in industry that I've talked thru run Millers, guy who does alot of fab work for me said the Miller is the way to go, they have a TD on their Plasma Table and while its good he says "its not a miller".... Is the TD just a "high end home tinkerer" machine? I guess I'm just feeling like the TD is too good to be true.. Typically when things are too good to be true, they usually are....

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics #2  
Did he tell you why he likes Miller? Lots of people get stuck on what they've bought as being best, because if they don't want to think they haven't spent their money wisely.

Thermadyne has been making plasma cutters since 1957. I have an acquaintance who sells Thermadyne equipment in Indiana, and most of his sales are to large, commercial fabrication facilities. I'd buy the one that is easiest to get supplies locally.

I have an ESAB plasma cutter and the local welding shop that used to stock ESAB equipment was purchased by Airgas who now only stocks Miller. When I went in to get ESAB electrodes they had to order them, so I had to wait a week to get the parts.

Either one of them is going to cut metal.

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics
Did he tell you why he likes Miller? Lots of people get stuck on what they've bought as being best, because if they don't want to think they haven't spent their money wisely.

The fab shop I use now boiled it down like this..they have both..They used to have all TD but now just have TD on the table.

Miller = Better Cut Quality
TD = Cheap as heck Consumables.

What tears me up is I read many accounts online and heard the same story at the trade show on how the TD Torch is the best...As for cut quality on the parts I get from them...the hand cut (miller) pieces DO look better.

Yeah they both cut metal, but the TD is cheaper with higher specs... If the TD is as good as they say it is, its a no brainer.

Another piece of the puzzle is that I'm a complete noob when it comes to plasma...when I wanted a welder it was easy shopping because I knew what I needed & wanted.

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics #4  
You may want to consider Hypertherm also, the make great cutters.

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics #5  
I have an older Thermodyne - the cut is not as clean as either of the machines you are looking at - but so much easier and better than OA.

So, the question you have to ask is "how clean of a cut do you really need?"

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics #6  
I have a Miller Spectrum 625 that I have had for about 6 years and I am very happy with it. I have cut up to 3/4" which is really it's outer limit. The best thing is you push the button and cut, no preheating. There is less warpage because it cuts faster. I will use a 2 X 4 for a straight edge.
I have not used my O/A torch to cut since I got the 625, only for heating now.
What ever unit you get you must have clean dry air. Moisture burns up the tips.

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics #7  
TD has a 4yr Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Optional lead extensions, They make their Own Machine. ( Miller uses Old Technology Hypertherm Torch ) TD is in it's 53rd year....No Way does The Spectrum Cut Better that the TD. What it comes down to is How many Amps for how much money and what is the warranty. You can get a Cutmaster 52 = 60 amps for $1500. How much is Millers 60 amp? $2100? Miller just quit selling units over 60 amps. Why?
All the Name brand Plasmas are good, Draw the line on Power, Price and Warranty. If you pay $2000 for a $1500 plasma its your option. :thumbsup:

/ The "Plasma Plunge" - Miller vs Thermal Dynamics
Thanks for the words guys...I've settled on a unit....IF/When I buy one, it will be the TD Cutmaster 52.....
Chances are I'll buy one this fall...if all goes according to plan I'll build my shop this summer and I'll be able to really use one this winter. I have a project right now that would benefit greatly by me having a plasma, but the shop I deal with is slow these days so for the price of just the materials they are doing all my fab work. Kinda nice actually to drop off a few cardboard templates in the morning and by 2:00 pick up all the finished pieces, ready to weld. 3 months ago I would have bought the plasma, now I debate if its even financially worth it....so unless they get really busy or triple their prices, I'm gonna hold off.

The Hyperthem might be a great unit, but I've never seen one in real life. Neither has my dad even after 32 years of service as a Millwright...That just doesnt sit right with me, which is why the options came down to the TD & Miller.