rod of choice for cast iron on AC?

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I tried out my welding skills recently on some old cast iron loader brackets I had for my antique fords. one bracket was simply cracked.. the other had been cracked.. was welded poorly and then cracked even more.

I have a hobart 235ACXL machine.. so plenty of heat.. just ac only.

been reading up.. cleaned up my parts, v cut the cracks out.. preheated with a torch, did short weld beads and peened the piece with my chipping hamemr after welding, etc, etc.. did root pass of 6011 and surface pass of 6013. looks pretty.. lookslike a mig weld even with no grinding. kept it warm with a lil more torch heat, and then left it in my sand box.

did one on monday, the better one, and the bad one today. just went out and checked and both seem fine.. no more cracks beside weld beads as the other person left me with.. and no spider cracks.

I think I did em good.. but realize my choce of rod was a generic one... I hear you can get a nickle rod that is better for cast.. and I've heard name called 'certanium' or something like that.

any opinions?

soundguy

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #2  
If you have a local National Welders or Airgas store they have their own brand of rod called Cast 99 or Cast 55. These are made specifically for Cast Iron but their downfall is they are very expensive (about $12 for a pack of 4 1/8th rods). I am not sure if these will work on A/C current but I have an overwhelming feeling that they will.

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product_list.aspx?catID=116&WT.svl=116

Hope this helps.
Matt.

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #3  
I've only used nickel rod on cast iron. It works very well for everything cast iron I've ever tried (gears, stove handles and hinges, primitive artifacts, etc. But, its hard as Heckl so grinding off the excess can be a real chore. Just needed my trusty Sears A/C buzzbox....

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #4  
Cast iron or cast steel??

I am no expert but never had luck with a 60 series rod on cast iron. Nickel is the rod, many different names from each manufacturer.

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #5  
My guess is that when or If the repaired part gets heated or hot, It will Crack. Cast is fussy when it comes to Expansion and Contraction. Mild Steel will surely Expand and Contract at different temps than the Cast causing it to crack. if the part never gets hot it may be ok. Nickel is very ductile and flexes with the Cast as it Expands and Contracts helping with Cracking. My personal favorite for cast repair is a Spray Powder Torch. Victor has a nice lower cost one. Never worry about cracking again. Check out Spray Powder at the Thermadyne web site under Victor and Stoody. You can also hard surface with it..Good Luck!!:thumbsup:

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #6  
I have used an NICU rod but also heated up the object to be welded with a torch red hot before welding. Had good luck, probably got lucky!

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #7  
Nickel rod and heating the part before welding worked for me. I didn't have a torch so used the burn barrel, Filled it with wood, set the exhaust manifold that was broken from a tree branch in it. Milked the cows, Came back welded it and set it back in the coals to cool over night. Was still on the tractor when we sold it four years later.

Can't remember if i used AC or DC though.

Roy

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #8  
I agree, larger cast parts should be heated quite hot prior to welding and cooled slowly.

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC?
the parts I'm welding are small cast parts.. like 1' by 4" at the most and usually tapered. and they won't get hot.. just loader bracket mounts.

we have 'airgas' stores in our location.. I'll see what they have.

soundguy

/ rod of choice for cast iron on AC? #10  
Nickel rod and heating the part before welding worked for me. I didn't have a torch so used the burn barrel, Filled it with wood, set the exhaust manifold that was broken from a tree branch in it. Milked the cows, Came back welded it and set it back in the coals to cool over night. Was still on the tractor when we sold it four years later.

Can't remember if i used AC or DC though.

Roy

Ditto on the Ni rod. I like Roy's dying fire for the quench. Another easy way to get a slow cool is to bury the part in sand. Also, when you v -notch try to drill holes through the part where the crack ends - this will help prevent the cracks from growing as you preheat and weld it.

-Jim