Can I run it?

/ Can I run it? #1  

SpecElim

As you guys know I just bought me a Big Blue 400. It has 3000 Watts output. I have a very good feeling that I can't run it but thats why Im asking. I also have a Lincoln PowerMig 140. I don't know what it draws off the top of my head but I think it's more than the Big Blue puts out.

Thanks guys.

/ Can I run it? #2  
You can sure find out. Plug her in and see what she will do. I think you will get more than 1/2 power out of the 140.

/ Can I run it? #3  
Is this a new Big Blue 400?

If it is the output is 5500 watts single phase, I looked it up because your 3000 watt rating sounded low for this sized welder to me. I know my older Trailblazer has about 8000 watt output.

/ Can I run it? #4  
I am sure you can run it unless it 3 phase, but you may have to add a special circuit for the unit and get the appropriate sized wire and circuit breaker to do the job.

/ Can I run it? #5  
My Powermig 255M wouldn't run on generator power. The owners manual states that it may not. I tried it on a Winpower 50KW I was wanting to load test and it wouldn't even light the displays. So even if it has enough output, it may not work.

Kim

/ Can I run it?
It is a 1994 model and the manual says 3000 single phase.

/ Can I run it? #7  
Anything 110v will run up to a certain amp output. Higher out put welding would be better done with a Suit Case Wire Feeder. I have however ran my Thermal Arc 251 off of an 8000 watt Lincoln Ranger 8 Generator Welder at 150 amps output. I was able to weld 3/8 very nice. "Some" of the 230v welders will not run off of Dirty Generator Power. The Small 130 Amp 230v carry around welders do a nice job on Generators.

/ Can I run it? #8  
@jenkinsph: Some welders, especially older ones, put out relatively little power. A fellow who does nothing but welding doesn't need to run much more than a grinder.

A lot of the older machines(and a few new ones, I understand) actually output DC power to their auxiliary outlets. Lights and the universal motors in grinders run just fine on DC but you need to be careful not to plug in something that can't take DC or you'll let out the magic smoke.

/ Can I run it? #9  
Hi,
I am new here, but the PowerMIG 140 C from Lincoln shows that it require 20 amps input power at 120V. Volts x's Amps equal watts. So if you have 20 amps input with 120V, it would require only 2400 watts of power.

I read the post where the PowerMIG 255 wouldn't run on a genset. A lot of inverter welders or heavily electronic welders are dependent upon "clean" power. 50kw is more than enough power to run it, but the "quality" of the power is significant.

I believe the 140 is a standard transformer welder and shouldn't have a lot of issues running off most decent power sources.

/ Can I run it? #10  
The 140 will run off of most generators just fine. It does not have 140 amps output however. Its more like 80-90 on 115v. 80-90 is all you can get out of 115v. Still a decent unit.