Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast
Re: Everlast Welders

Not sure what you mean yo.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #122  

Mark, what is the air flow requirements for the PowerPlasma 50 or the SuperCut 50? I have a 2hp, rated at 4cm at 90 psi. Is that adequate?

Also, what is the cost of the cost of a PowerPlasma 50 with 120/230V capability? Could it be run off of a Miller generator (peak 6500, continuous 5500W)

What are the differences between the SC50 and the PP50?

The PP50 doesn't currently have dual voltage available. The Super Cuts do have 110V/220V, however, they are not as strong machines, in my opinion. They rely upon an old design that were created in the early 90's. The newer PowerPlasma 50 is IGBT based and is much stronger and better cutting than the Mosfet design of the Supercuts. The PP50 has a blowback start design, which is preferable over the HF design of the older SuperCuts. It also has a pilot arc. The SuperCut 50P has a pilot arc that has been added recently, but I haven't seen much in the unit to impress me. The PowerPlasma is still a better choice, in performance, reliability, and overall customer satisfaction. I rarely see any significant issue from the Unit. One final note, the consumables are available in many local areas.
4 cfm should be enough for both. I think officially it can go as low as 3.5. However, I believe, that reserve is important too. If you have a pancake compressor with only a gallon or two capacity, you might want to consider getting a larger one. You can squeeze by with less cfm, if you have adequate reserve, since most cuts will be in short bursts,and even if the compressor can't keep up, you will have enough air to keep it up until the cut is completed. You need an air dryer.

Last edited:
   / Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #124  

Thanks Mark. My compressor is a Senco with a 4.3 gal dual tank, 2hp. From what you say should be adequate.

Tell me about air dryers, where do they attach, where to buy, cost etc. Thanks

I am thinking about a Miller Wildcat 200 welder/generator (long story about my specific needs are spelled out in another post in Build it yourself forum) It is a 6500 peak/5500 continuous W. Any problems running the PP50 off that? Could it run both the plasma and the compressor simultaneously?

Any general thoughts on this welder? I just don't have a power source at where I am forced to weld.

I appreciate your prompt replies and your input (and sponsorship) into this forum. You seem well informed and unbiased in your frequent comments!

The wildcat is too light to handle the PP50 adequately. You'll need a almost 9000 peak watts to handle it. While the wildcat is a perfect small portable welder, in many respects, its power generation is quite low. I'd look for a larger unit if that is what you are wanting to do. The trailblazer would be quite adequate, or even the Bobcat, if you aren't welding at the same time. Running a compressor and a plasma cutter is definitely not going to work on the wildcat. The maximum inrush current demand on the PP 50 is right at 40 amps.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #126  

I wanted to comment on Everlast. I have purchased a Power Arc 200, and a supercut 50p. The power arc is an amazing machine. It does everything it is advertised to do. I am a do it yourselfer, and not a welder by any means, but this little machine makes my work look professional, and I am confident the welds will hold up, for my projects. The super cut 50p is a different story. I bought that machine in October, so I could move up to some more complicated projects like a thumb for my hoe. Like a lot of us, I have to wait a while for some down time so I can get to the fun stuff. After a few weeks I put the machine together, and after downloading the manual off the website, I was able to make a test cut. I put the machine away, until this past February,when I took it out to cut some 1/4 plate for planting bar blades. The machine failed after the first cut ( no power arc, no arc at all.) I called technical support, and spoke with a nice guy, who thought a circuit board had blown. He had me call sales to arrange to ship it back. I shipped the machine back ($42) and had figured on upgrading to the IGBT technology. I was told by Allen I believe, that I would lose %20 on the value of the supercut, if I upgraded. I then asked what guarantee I would have that the circuit boards would not blow again. "It won't" he said. Since I was already taking a bath on this with the loss of my time, and the cost of shipping, I figured I was stuck. I shipped it back on March 4th, and it was recieved on the 11th. I called everlast yesterday, to ask about when the machine would be heading back, and was told the "parts had just arrived." I wanted to point out that I realize a lot of people send things back saying " I only used it once" etc , however in my case, I was not looking for a refund. I was willing to pay for an upgrade to a more reliable technology. I was looking for full value however for a machine that was packed in the original box, and by anybodies objective opinion was brand new. The machine by Marks own admission, uses an older "90's technology (read less reliable). I would ask Mark to comment on this 20% hit on failed equipment, and the reluctance to work with a return customer.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #127  

I was afraid of that. My problem is I want a stick welder to handle farm implement fabrication and repair (have a Miller 211 mig), don't have a good power source where I have to weld in a warehouse or out at the farm, need a home backup generator for infrequent use, don't have a lot of storage space to handle a big trailer mounted unit, etc. So I was considering the Wildcat, but in planning ahead, it would be nice to have enough future capacity for a plasma.

Another option I considered is buying a bigger generator (about a 10,000 W) and a separate stick. How does your 200 A stick unit compare welding wise to the Miller wildcat? I assume a good 10,000 W industrial generator would power your welder easily?

Davy,
I never recommend the mosfet units like yours to anyone, especially to anyone here on this board. Ask anyone I have sold units to. Other salesmen find them easy to sell because of their price. The PowerPlasma 50 is a completely different machine.

As for a 20 percent hit,I fear you'd get more than that if it was a name brand unit, and you tried to sell it outright. But I understand what you mean. What I suspect we would do is that We would fix the machine, and then sell it at a deeply discounted price as a used unit and that is the possible consideration. I think its in part because its a upgrade from a mosfet to a igbt... I don't know where you bought the unit, and the price you paid, and that may be a consideration in the trade up. PM me some info and I will see what I can do to improve the trade and make you satisfied. As far as the circuits not blowing, we do upgrade somethings here stateside if they have failed.

Last edited:
   / Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #129  

Hi Mark, thought you may have overlooked my question about welding with your Powerarc200 on a generator and about filter requirements for a plasma previously. Thanks again.

And Davy, I read your post and found it interesting. Sorry your plasma failed, but in my opinion, with a plasma (or any tool) 6 months old, a good reputable company would repair it at no cost under warranty, and if you are lucky, they would pay shipping. But to expect an upgrade at full price credit (if that is what you are meaning), I just don't see any company doing that. If I buy something, whether it be a tool, appliance, or anything, no company is going to credit you anything at all for a "trade in" upgrade. That seems a little unreasonable to expect that. Good customer service would be for a prompt repair (say a few weeks) and a pleasant attitude, any maybe shipping.

HCJ,

I did overlook the questions, sorry. That's what I get for reading too fast...:confused2:

OK, to answer the questions about the PA 200.

I would say it will give you a better arc. Several people here have bought them, and they all seem to agree about that issue and the arc quality.

As far as running it from a 10kw generator, yes, as long as it is fairly clean power, with a decent sine wave. I have many people doing portable repair this way, and it seems to be a good solution.

Also,
As far as the air dryer/filter. I usually have people add one at the tank and then another at the hose. You can use a desiccant type filter from a paint store at the unit before it enters the final water trap (provided) as the second. Myself, I get by with using a good dryer at the tank, keep my tank drained regularly, and then use the final stage on the unit. But I switch constantly so setting a filter system up permanently is a bit of a chore for me. I also have a pretty decent supply of consumables, so...

Davey,
I am serious about working something out with you in your favor on the SC50 trade up...I have a plan... PM me.