Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #131  
I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51, that thing is EASY on consumables.
How does the Everlast compare? Price wise and availability? Does yours use common pieces?
Thank you.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast
The PP 50 is relatively easy on consumables. I have a customer that has cut about 5-7k, 2.5 inch holes in man hole covers on a set of 5 consumables. Of course he has a good air dryer, and rigorously maintains a watch over his crew using it. We use a torch that is used by several companies, including Hobart, so parts are available locally.
The PP50 is 799.00
The rated cut capacity is 3/4" with a maximum severance of 1".

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #133  
Mark, thanks for answering questions from rookies like me. I have been considering a Bobcat 225 but after more thought and research, am now thinking maybe a separate generator and stick welder may be better. I am considering a Miller Maxstar 150 or Maxstar 200 (I like the ability to run on any power source) but would also like to compare it to your Powerarc 200. Are these similar in welding abilities and charteristics? For implement fabrication on general farm repair, how would you rate these three? Obviously, there is a big price difference. I do want the ability to run off a generator (am considering a Winco 9000 or even 10000 W to double as a backup home unit)

The Miller Maxstar is a little expensive, and I am afraid the Miller 150 may be a little underpowered for what I plan to do. What is your opinion?

Some of the Maxstars won't weld 6010/6011 very well. Ours will and I have one customer that is replacing his entire fleet of Maxstars with our PA 200's. I will put it up against any Maxstar. For the money, they are still cheaper than AC/DC transformer welders in their class.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #135  
Thanks Mark. I have a Miller 211 mig that has 200 A max output. I really want to have (and learn) stick, so i can do work outside at my farm. Will your PA200 give me better or more penetration for thicker metals than my Miller and any problems running it off a good quality 9500 W industrial Winco generator? I know in the past you have said "clean power" but when buying a generator, how do you know.

Your little PA 200 is looking beter and better as compared to a $1900 Miller Maxstar 200. Any options available on this welder that I should consider?

And last stupid question, can you compare a 200 A mig to a 200 A stick in terms of penetration? My goal is to build several implements (such as a cultipacker) and I want to ability to weld 1/2". I realize metal prep, number of passes, etc. can affect things, but in general, how would those compare?

I guess what I am getting at, will the PA 200 give me more welding ability than the Miller 211? Can it run hardface?

Thanks for clearing up these questions, and I am about to bite the bullet and give you machine a try.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #136  
And last stupid question, can you compare a 200 A mig to a 200 A stick in terms of penetration? My goal is to build several implements (such as a cultipacker) and I want to ability to weld 1/2". I realize metal prep, number of passes, etc. can affect things, but in general, how would those compare?

HCJtractor hopefully you don't mind me jumping in here.
To a large degree Mig welders scare me in the wrong hands, the average guy doesn't run them hot enough, cold lap, and lack of penetration are a huge problem with the Mig process! If more people were educated with a wire feeder, there are things a guy can do to make them pretty much fail safe. Dual shield with 100% Co2 is an awesome combination.

As you mentioned joint prep, the average guy under estimates the value of proper joint prep! Joint prep will make or break you when building things! There is a reason those engineers spec out joint prep all the time on a fab drawing.

If you do buy the PowerArc 200, you won't be disappointed. For the money I can't see where you'd go wrong. Give me some 6010 or 6011, some properly stored 7018, and a drawing I'll build you just about anything you want out of steel with my PowerArc 200!;)

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #137  
HCJTractor: Another interloper to chime in here.

The PA200 runs hard facing just fine. I've run up to 5/32" Stoody 31 with it at 160A and it lays down excellent beads. It does the same with tungsten rod.

There are no extras or options to buy. You get a good basic welder with high amp option and long duty cycle. More than enough for farm work.

I run mine off of a 11KWH Honda generator just fine.

"Clean power" can be explained by someone more knowledgeable. I think it has to do with power spikes that can be eliminated if the generator is equipped with some sort of device.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #138  
Thanks to you both for jumping in!!! Thats just what info I need. I agree that what little I have done with my Mig, I can see how cold lap is easy to do. Must admit my first project (a welding table) has some! I don't see how I could go wrong with the Everlast for that price. Going to get one!

What plugs did you guys wire up? I also am going to buy a good generator, and want to use a Nema 6-50 R. I want to keep all plugs the same for simplicity so as not to have to use an adapter or special cord. But generators with that receptacle are hard to find. I like the Winco W9500HE, and it has that receptacle, but I like the Winco WC 12000HE even better (more powerful, much longer run time for backup power use, has running gear and lift ring included) but it has Nema 120/240 14-60R , not the 6-50.

I guess I could make a cord with a 6-50 female and a 14-60 male, but I really don't want to do that. I wish I could find a good generator with about 10,000 W output, with a large capacity tank, and a 6-50 plug. Anybody know anything about the 14-60 60A receptacle and what it is commonly used for?

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #139  
Re: Everlast Welders

You will definitely like the way a plasma cuts, and will cut anything metal. There is one consideration you have to understand, and that is to have clean dry air.

I just purchased the HP desiccant air filter, and last week found a Motor Guard filter and a water separator. I will set up the filters like this. First inline will be the regulator and water separator, then the Motor Guard, then the desiccant filter, then a particle filter., By the time I get this all set up, I think my plasma cutting will improve a bit. In the future I will be working on my computer plasma cutting table, using either the hand held or the machine torch. I already have the hand torch set up to trigger the plasma cutter, but am looking at how to activate the machine torch.

Good luck with your plasma cutter.

I have the Lincoln 55 .

Adding an refrigerated air dryer (i got mine from harbor freight) had dramatically cut down on moisture. I had 2 in-line filtered water traps that were still collecting moisture. After adding the dryer, i have never had any moisture in the traps.

Tips and other consumable life has really improved. Have the Hypertherm 1000 myself.

I like the Pulse Mig that there talking about here, and im going to look into it further.
Compressed Air Dryer

Attachments

• dryer.jpg
    dryer.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 249
HCJ,

...Trying to keep up with todays work, and dropped by and see that you've gotten a good response already.

I would agree. MIG is good, and I have used it to join welds up to 1/2" and a little more routinely. But I usually use spray transfer, which the average guy won't. But if some guy with a new 110V squirt gun in his hands trying to join sheet metal is a far cry from an experienced, trained guy running a critical weld with one.

IF someone said, you can only have one welder and you have to choose, I would be hard pressed to NOT go with anything else other than a stick unit (of course, our migs do weld stick quite well, so that may be cheating).

As far as the receptacle not matching exactly, don't worry about it. A little adapter is easy to make and reliable.