Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #771  
No it doesn't. But a scratch start Tig rig is handy to have around for welding thin mild steel, and stainless steel. Or small objects.

I swear every time you post pics of your welding, I don't know whether to be inspired - or depressed. :)

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #772  
Oh I get lucky every once in a while. ;)

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast
Mark, I know this isn't a "TIG 101" class, but could you and SA explain the use of TIG for the Everlast PowerArc 300ST? The 300 can do TIG but has no foot pedal and is not compatible or retrofittable for a foot pedal. How is TIG used then in this machine? I looked at the owner's manual for the 300 with no joy. I've welded exactly one time with TIG and it was AL and that's about all I recall (it was over 20 years ago).

Not finding many welders locally, so the Everlast 300 is at the top of my current list.

Thanks,

The new ST units allow for lift tig start. This is an easier way of starting tig, rather the scratch start mode. Many people confuse what this is. When contact is made with the tip, the power is lowered to allow the arc to be started when the tungsten is lifted up.

ST models are not for welding super thin metal. But they do a good job on average plate thicknesses and thicker sheet gauges.

A lot of TIG welding done out in the field on pipelines and other type of weldments are done without a foot pedal. It's a learning lesson in travel consistency, torch angle, torch height, correct amperage selection. If you can learn to TIG weld without a foot pedal, you'll be a better welder with a foot pedal. imho.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #774  
I swear every time you post pics of your welding, I don't know whether to be inspired - or depressed. :)

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #775  
The new ST units allow for lift tig start. This is an easier way of starting tig, rather the scratch start mode. Many people confuse what this is. When contact is made with the tip, the power is lowered to allow the arc to be started when the tungsten is lifted up.

ST models are not for welding super thin metal. But they do a good job on average plate thicknesses and thicker sheet gauges.

A lot of TIG welding done out in the field on pipelines and other type of weldments are done without a foot pedal. It's a learning lesson in travel consistency, torch angle, torch height, correct amperage selection. If you can learn to TIG weld without a foot pedal, you'll be a better welder with a foot pedal. imho.

Ok I understood not for super thin metal, that's about it. Still looking for a good used but not much luck this far. The 300ST is at the top of the list but I'm not yet ready to pull the trigger (sorry for the bad pun).

Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #776  
Can I get some input on picking out a stick unit. 3/4 is the thickest and need A/C to occasionally weld used drill stem.

We don't have AC capability on our stick units as they are inverters. To make AC with an inverter, you need to have additional components (basically another inverter) to take the DC and convert it back in to AC.

But the PowerArc 300ST should handle what you are wanting to do...multi pass of course.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #779  
mark
have you guys made any videos with your units showing how to use with the features and such? that panel looks intimidating for the non professional.
also what is synergistic mig mode vs standard?
will the PowerMTS 211Si weld thin material as its not the ST?
does the DC tig mode only make a diff. in aluminum or AC works better for steel too

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #780  
If you can learn to use a foot pedal standing on a ladder in the field, it will make you a better welder.