Headache rack build

/ Headache rack build #1  

millwrightdude

Silver Member
My new F150 needs a headache rack. I have all the materials to build it like the attached picture. My question is I have some 2x3 tubing that is 1/4 thick. Is 1/4 to thick. My concern is that it will collapse my truck bed. Any help would be great

/ Headache rack build #2  
What part are you afraid it will collapse? Are you going to load it somehow? Are you worried about the sides of the bed buckling from the weight?

The sides should hold this fine and if properly constructed should have little to do with the structural integrity of the bed.

/ Headache rack build
If my figures are right it will be around 120 lbs. I going to build it just like the picture. I'm worried about the sides of the bed buckling from the weight

/ Headache rack build #4  
Your F150 will be be fine with the weight... even at 240 pounds. My camper shells can hold an extra 300 pounds on top of the weight of the shell itself...

/ Headache rack build #5  
If my figures are right it will be around 120 lbs. I going to build it just like the picture. I'm worried about the sides of the bed buckling from the weight

Go to the local food buffet and gather six regular customers coming out the doors, and have three sit on your bed rail drivers side, and have the other three sit on your bed rail passengers side :thumbsup:. Take a good look at your truck and I think the only item that might need attention is to put some more air in your rear tires :D :D :D. Really, I think the material will be just fine being .25 inch thick, as long as its priced right, free :thumbsup:. KC

/ Headache rack build #6  
You'll be fine as that 120-pounds will be split across both bed rails making for 60-pounds per side.

The only way you'll collapse a pickup bed with 120-pounds is if the bed is nothing more than rust.

/ Headache rack build
I hope to start working on this next week

/ Headache rack build #8  
If you build it right you will make your pickup bed stronger structurally. Your headache rack is a truss. It will make your bed stronger vertically and horizontally.

/ Headache rack build #9  
Go for it. Pickup's these day are pretty wimpy but what you're doing won't be a problem. 1/4" is a little thick for most applications but you should'nt have any problems with it being rigid enough for normal use. Like Harvey said you'll be gaining strength not to mention protection which is what you're looking for anyway, I'm sure. Let us know how it goes and show the finished and installed product. :thumbsup:

/ Headache rack build #10  
If you build it right you will make your pickup bed stronger structurally. Your headache rack is a truss. It will make your bed stronger vertically and horizontally.

Exactly!