Silver Member

Default Headache rack build

My new F150 needs a headache rack. I have all the materials to build it like the attached picture. My question is I have some 2x3 tubing that is 1/4 thick. Is 1/4 to thick. My concern is that it will collapse my truck bed. Any help would be great

Default Re: Headache rack build

What part are you afraid it will collapse? Are you going to load it somehow? Are you worried about the sides of the bed buckling from the weight?

The sides should hold this fine and if properly constructed should have little to do with the structural integrity of the bed.
    Mark Lugo
    Everlast Welders
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

Need a welder? Give me a call at (877) 755-9353 ext 204!

Silver Member

If my figures are right it will be around 120 lbs. I going to build it just like the picture. I'm worried about the sides of the bed buckling from the weight

teg
    Elite Member
    Tractor

Your F150 will be be fine with the weight... even at 240 pounds. My camper shells can hold an extra 300 pounds on top of the weight of the shell itself...

Tractor
    MF GC2410TLB

Quote Originally Posted by millwrightdude View Post
    If my figures are right it will be around 120 lbs. I going to build it just like the picture. I'm worried about the sides of the bed buckling from the weight
    Go to the local food buffet and gather six regular customers coming out the doors, and have three sit on your bed rail drivers side, and have the other three sit on your bed rail passengers side . Take a good look at your truck and I think the only item that might need attention is to put some more air in your rear tires . Really, I think the material will be just fine being .25 inch thick, as long as its priced right, free . KC
    2009 MF GC2410TLB; Sims Cab; MF 2360 Snow Blower; MF 2340 Dozer Blade; Woods HC54 rotary rear cutter. Frontier 48" BB. KC

Tractor
    A couple

You'll be fine as that 120-pounds will be split across both bed rails making for 60-pounds per side.

The only way you'll collapse a pickup bed with 120-pounds is if the bed is nothing more than rust.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Silver Member

I hope to start working on this next week

Tractor
    JCB165HF

If you build it right you will make your pickup bed stronger structurally. Your headache rack is a truss. It will make your bed stronger vertically and horizontally.

"Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

Go for it. Pickup's these day are pretty wimpy but what you're doing won't be a problem. 1/4" is a little thick for most applications but you should'nt have any problems with it being rigid enough for normal use. Like Harvey said you'll be gaining strength not to mention protection which is what you're looking for anyway, I'm sure. Let us know how it goes and show the finished and installed product.
    Jay

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtn_harv View Post
    If you build it right you will make your pickup bed stronger structurally. Your headache rack is a truss. It will make your bed stronger vertically and horizontally.
    Exactly!
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown