how thick do you weld with your wire feed / mig?

/ how thick do you weld with your wire feed / mig? #51  
I almost hate to resurrect this (any posters still alive?) thread but I did a search and it popped up. When discussing MIG I didn't see the qualifier of GMAW or FCAW. Maybe I missed it.

RC

well, the G in MIG is Gas, so if its FCAW, its dual shield.

FWIW, when I got a machine, I wanted to be able to do spray arc with it, so I can do a pretty good job liquefying the 3/8" stock that is the thickest I have purchased to date.:thumbsup:

/ how thick do you weld with your wire feed / mig? #52  
Wire Feed set at " 8 " out of a possible 10 ??? Why so high ? I have used my Lincoln SP 135+ and 1 tick below high setting , I still have only had wire feed set at a maximum of 4 out of a possible 10 . In looking at Millers website and owners manual , You are correct in your settings , But in looking at the welds , just seems like it is laying wire so fast that it does not have a chance to burn in . I have built several implements using my Lincoln , the 8 shank , 6' ripper has 1/2" braces welded to 3/8" and I melted 1/3 of one side off the 1/2" brace making first pass . Sure , it does not have the duty cycle of a larger welder , but then neither do I .:thumbsup: . Also have a thumb on my 757 backhoe that I welded on , have used it to pick-up lots of heavy things , all the while putting pretty good force against it using the bucket , its still stuck on there like the day I welded it there .

I have thought about a larger welder , been close to pulling the trigger a few times , but my current needs are satisfied with my little Lincoln . Using .035 flux core , since I mainly weld outside requires a little clean up for slag removal , but I just use a wire brush .

Fred H.