New milling machine arrived this week

/ New milling machine arrived this week #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
Well I finally got it. Took awhile but it was well worth the wait. I got a Fagor 40i 3-D DRO, everything power including draw bar. Coolant system with chip tray. I added another light to the beast and made a new bracket for the draw bar switch because I didn't like the way the one was installed when I got it. It's a 3 HP single phase unit so I didn't need a converter. The mill is a Taiwanese mill and very well built and super smooth when running. I need to get it leveled and then it's ready for work. I also put in an overhead hoist so I wouldn't have to lift the 12" rotary table myself. Here's a few pics.

cid_58A33E85BD984B4E83C8A2848507003.jpg

cid_2C3D90C217E4416EBD533E47B1B4332.jpg

cid_8BE025646EDE40E9BFA63DEF4C11CED.jpg

cid_4B742067D4F048CABD3935CEF9B640C.jpg

cid_68AEB9F5FDF44F70991ADD64125C580.jpg

cid_3962CCD6A00546DD88B82B1575625D4.jpg

cid_B66D955547EE4ED6837D53D7E0DF6CB.jpg

cid_9B96DD19137345BEAA7042B70D67E91.jpg

cid_4397DC7B4BA14DAC912F4411C23F0E2.jpg

cid_9CBD1794CCE340EEAE7016ECE5B2C3B.jpg

/ New milling machine arrived this week #2  
Man Paul.......DROOL, PANT, HUBBA_HUBBA,She's a LOOKER!!!!!! Every time you post I get some kind of envy. This one is chock full:

I would eat a fat turd to have a mill just half as nice.

Your shop looks like a mechanical surgery center and to top it off....

I had completely forgotten about your refurbished fork lift that would make Chip Foose jealous

/ New milling machine arrived this week #3  
Nice looking machine. I look forward to seeing your projects. Just one word of caution. We had a Kearney & Trecker with power drawbar and the spindle spun :mad: while a guy was loading a shell mill. It really chewed up the palm of his hand.

Russell

/ New milling machine arrived this week #4  
looks like a **** of a piece of machinery. just the vise on that table cost more than i paid for my little mill/drill, but then again, i'm barely qualified to use what i have, so anything more would be wasted on me. should be a nice addition to an already well equipped shop.

/ New milling machine arrived this week
Man Paul.......DROOL, PANT, HUBBA_HUBBA,She's a LOOKER!!!!!! Every time you post I get some kind of envy. This one is chock full:

I would eat a fat turd to have a mill just half as nice.

Your shop looks like a mechanical surgery center and to top it off....

I had completely forgotten about your refurbished fork lift that would make Chip Foose jealous

Ah Darryl you made me chuckle.:laughing: I just spent the last two full weekends painting the complete inside of the shop. I got it all dusted as wel and I think I could perform surgery here now with no problems :laughing:

Some of our customers thought the mill was something I was assembling for the local hospital :laughing: As for the old fork lift, I don't know how I did with out it before. At over 3000 lbs It sure came in handy for this lift. I added these three pics for you ;)Thanks for your comments. Paul

DSC05757.jpg

f2-7.jpg

f1-6.jpg

Nice looking machine. I look forward to seeing your projects. Just one word of caution. We had a Kearney & Trecker with power drawbar and the spindle spun :mad: while a guy was loading a shell mill. It really chewed up the palm of his hand.

Russell

Thanks Russell. Thanks for the word of caution but that's one of the reasons why I try and purchase new machinery and it's for the added safety features. Once I hit the buttons for the draw bar the spindle can't start which will eliminate that issue which must have been a terrifying experience for the mill operator. Appreciate your comments as well. Thanks, Paul

looks like a **** of a piece of machinery. just the vise on that table cost more than i paid for my little mill/drill, but then again, i'm barely qualified to use what i have, so anything more would be wasted on me. should be a nice addition to an already well equipped shop.

Thanks lost. The vise is a CNC vise. It can be mounted on it's side as well which makes it a little more versatile and a regular milling vise plus another vise just like it can be mounded right beside it if necessary.

I have a mill/drill as well and i wouldn't part with it. It has served me very well and still very valuable to the workings of the shop. As for the shop. The only thing I have left to complete it now is an Ironworker which should be here late next week and yes it's American made :thumbsup: Thank you for your comments. Paul

mt3.jpg

/ New milling machine arrived this week #6  
When you get equipment like that, there is no practical limit to what your mind can dream up or what you can do.

/ New milling machine arrived this week #7  
I have a cheapo mill/drill and it's as handy as a shirt pocket but an iron worker too........come on Paul :licking:. Are you just trying to put us over the edge? I tried to negotiate on one a couple of weeks ago with a guy that talked me into driving down to Kentucky assuring me that we could come to an agreement on a package deal including a Lincoln Sp 200. Another guy was loading the Sp when I drove up and we couldn't even come close on the iron worker. Every time I am drilling a large hole or needing to bend something I dream of the day one will be in my shop. I just can't afford/justify a new one and they create feeding frenzies at auction!

/ New milling machine arrived this week #8  
your mill/drill is about the same as mine. the stand is similar too. the one thing i'll never forget as long as i live - i was getting it set on the base, and the ball and chain ventured out into the garage to see what i was doing, and upon seeing the black stand with the small door in it, asked me why i was putting the drill on a wood stove :D

don't get me started on ironworkers... i have had plans to get/build both a plasma table and a small ironworker. both of those are still in the "want phase". i actually just picked up the mill/drill and an old south bend lathe this year, and i'm not real proficient with them, but i do use them for some of their intended uses. if an ironworker was here i'd probably never leave the shop. worst thing is that buying a used one is pretty hard here. there's very little for sale in this state for any kind of equipment - i actually had to travel 170m across state line to get the mill/drill, and that was searching a different state's craigslist ads. several months of looking never turned one up in my state. finding an ironworker is even more difficult. i think if i lived in california i'd probably have a neighbor with a used one sitting in his garage, just based on what i find on ebay.

/ New milling machine arrived this week
I have a cheapo mill/drill and it's as handy as a shirt pocket but an iron worker too........come on Paul :licking:. Are you just trying to put us over the edge? I tried to negotiate on one a couple of weeks ago with a guy that talked me into driving down to Kentucky assuring me that we could come to an agreement on a package deal including a Lincoln Sp 200. Another guy was loading the Sp when I drove up and we couldn't even come close on the iron worker. Every time I am drilling a large hole or needing to bend something I dream of the day one will be in my shop. I just can't afford/justify a new one and they create feeding frenzies at auction!

Oh man that must have been a disappointment. It's tough trying to buy used stuff. It's tough for me because I'm living on an island and this stuff is not here but if it was they would want what it cost new. I can't remember ever seeing an "Honest" seller around these parts . Around here they go to sell something and they say it's "In mint condition" Let me tell you that there idea of "Mint" and my idea of "Mind" are worlds apart.

As for the Ironworker. I have a hand operated one. It's OK but when I fabricate something my main goal is try and make it look like a factory built item. It's just a personal goal I have and I'm my own worst critic so I think a hydraulic Ironworker will help me reach that goal or at least improve on it. Shopping for an Ironworker is a tough challenge. I've got pricing from $6000. to $40.000. I went with the American built 60 ton Edwards model with some sweet accessories. I'll post a few pics of that when it arrives if you'd like to see it plus a little video of it working.

your mill/drill is about the same as mine. the stand is similar too. the one thing i'll never forget as long as i live - i was getting it set on the base, and the ball and chain ventured out into the garage to see what i was doing, and upon seeing the black stand with the small door in it, asked me why i was putting the drill on a wood stove :D

don't get me started on ironworkers... i have had plans to get/build both a plasma table and a small ironworker. both of those are still in the "want phase". i actually just picked up the mill/drill and an old south bend lathe this year, and i'm not real proficient with them, but i do use them for some of their intended uses. if an ironworker was here i'd probably never leave the shop. worst thing is that buying a used one is pretty hard here. there's very little for sale in this state for any kind of equipment - i actually had to travel 170m across state line to get the mill/drill, and that was searching a different state's craigslist ads. several months of looking never turned one up in my state. finding an ironworker is even more difficult. i think if i lived in california i'd probably have a neighbor with a used one sitting in his garage, just based on what i find on ebay.

Oh my friend I owe you big time. You gave me a really good chuckle this morning with the mill and the wood stove and thanks for that :laughing::laughing:

A CNC plasma table outfit would be great. I don't have the real estate for it here in my shop. If I add anything more in tooling I'll be working out by the door and the tools will be dry in the shop :laughing:

Guys get all caught up in tools. I'm no different but I guess the biggest difference here with me is that I use my tooling for a living where as most on here use them for personal use. I'm sure you'll find a way in the near future to get those cool tools IF you really want to. Thanks for the post. Enjoyed them both.

pic below is of my manual Ironworker.

Attachments

• ironworker manual.jpg
    ironworker manual.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 492
   / New milling machine arrived this week #10  
exactly right on the need/want issue. i worked as a detailer for a large fabricator for many years, and i really enjoy steel fabrication. i'd love to be able to do it on a small scale, but i don't find that to be feasible at the moment for several reasons. in the meantime i'm constantly looking for pieces to add to the collection in the hopes that i can reach that point in the not too distant future. it's certainly difficult to do that with a pocket change minded budget, but it means that i have nearly nothing to lose if i can accomplish it. if i can do it, it leaves me with a possible night and weekend business that i can work at through my last 20+ years in the workforce and then into the retirement years.

i've got cad files with a few partial plans for cnc tables and i've sketched out some preliminary thoughts on making rudimentary ironworkers, like press brakes and punches, and i'm just waiting to stumble on that cheap set of punches and dies, or brake dies to get the ball rolling. not having to have these tools to make a living makes it easier for me to wait for the right item to come along. i certainly am awed at the nice tools, but recognize the inherent liability that comes with them - you gotta have a good volume of work to keep it all going.

i'll leave you with a picture of my wood stove. it looks like my door might be bigger, so i think i might have got a slightly larger stove than you did. or maybe i just got the side loader and you got the front loader. :p

mill_1.jpg