Silly Question

/ Silly Question #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
All the years that I have used a oxy / acet torch , I have wore the little funky goggles , Not ever really questioning " WHY " .

So wondering , " WHY " . Eye protection from sparks , slag , etc...? Why not just safety glasses . Protection from bright light ?? ( Try driving down the road and having a bunch of chrome shining in your eyes ) .

Wondering the same about Plasma cutting ?

Welding I understand . Auto helmets like mine go from a green tint to darn dark before I can blink , But many a years in using a torch it was just those green tint goggles .

Fred H.

/ Silly Question #3  
Haha. Yes the goofy goggles that no-one wears really do protect from an errant spark. The shade #5 is what is recognized as the minumum shade to prevent eye damage from the molten light. Many use shade 3 goggles or glasses but they are not fully protected. Plasma should really be treated the same as Welding as far as shade recomendation. My company calls for a shade 8 minumum with 9-11 preferred. I often use shade 5 for Plasma Demos but just for quick demos..

/ Silly Question #4  
I've started wearing a full face shield with a flip-down #5 lense for torch work. I really like it. They also make the same shield with a flip-down #10 for plasma work. I like having full face protection and then the option of flipping down the lense that is probably 1/3 of the size of the face shield.

Brian

/ Silly Question
This link is a similar question to mine but posted on a Different B.B.

New plasma cutter, eye protection question - Diesel Place

The Shade #5 is mentioned in that discussion also , but as you mentioned #9 and up is similar to what Lincoln shows . Lincoln's chart though kind of confuses me , ( Does not take much ) . Shows amperage at top , so anything less than say around 55 amps does not need protection with plasma ?? Or below 80 amp mig welding ???

I was looking at some safety goggles on EBAY , there was this one pair that made you look like you had Marty Feldman ( ?? ) eyes from the movie Young Frankinstien .

Fred H.

Last edited:
   / Silly Question #6  
With the eye protection issue, there are different types of light.

A oxy fuel flame gives off infrared light mostly, with fewer Ultraviolet. The IR light is what does the damage. Most cutting glasses filter 99.9% of IR light, regardless of shade. Now the intensity of the light itself, may necessitate a darker lens, but that is largely up to operator preference in most cases.

A plasma torch gives off the same UV light that a welding arc does, and in so doing the plasma flame requires similar UV protection which almost all GOOD helmets filter well over 99% of the UV light emitted at any shade. Even the autodarks filter the UV at the light shade. Believe it or not, OSHA only has suggested shades, no REQUIRED standards for minimum shade darkness. They recommend a 8 shade, but freely admit that it isn't required because of the nature of the plasma flame is usually buried in the work and not directly visible. The reason for the shade differences is to protect from temporary blindness of course and to allow the operator to sufficiently see the puddle, but not from the damages that are more permanent from the UV burning out your retinas, and getting eyeball cancer. :shocked:Though radiant energy is definitely a part of the issue as well, which most welding helmets block almost all IR as well.

Oxyfuel glasses may or may not offer suitable protection for plasma cutting. And of course, due to the dangers of the UV light, additional face protection is recommended as well. The best thing is to have a helmet that offers a full range of shades so that the face is protected too. The Everlast Fabricator helmet offer a shade range of 4/ 7-15 for this type use. From the osha ppe standards:
Filter Lenses for Protection Against Radiant Energy

Operations Electrode size in Arc current Minimum*
1/32 (0.8mm) protective
shade
Shielded metal
arc welding < 3 < 60 7
3 - 5 60 - 160 8
5 - 8 160 - 250 10
> 8 250 - 550 11
Gas metal arc welding
and flux cored
arc welding < 60 7
60 - 160 10
160 - 250 10
250 - 500 10
Gas tungsten
arc welding < 50 8
50 - 150 8
150 - 500 10
Air carbon (light) < 500 10
Arc cutting (heavy) 500 - 1,000 11
Plasma arc welding < 20 6
20 - 100 8
100 - 400 10
400 - 800 11
Plasma arc cutting (light)** < 300 8
(medium)** 300 - 400 9
(heavy)** 400 - 800 10
Torch brazing 3
Torch soldering 2
Carbon arc welding 14
Filter Lenses for Protection Against Radiant Energy
Operations Plate thickness Plate thickness Minimum*
inches mm protective
shade
Gas welding:
Light < 1/8 < 3.2 4
Gas welding:
Medium 1/8 - 1/2 3.2 - 12.7 5
Gas welding:
Heavy > 1/2 > 12.7 6
Oxygen cutting:
Light < 1 < 25 3
Oxygen cutting:
Medium 1 - 6 25 - 150 4
Oxygen cutting:
Heavy > 6 > 150 5
Source: 29 CFR 1910.133(a)(5).
* As a rule of thumb, start with a shade that is too dark to see the weld
zone. Then go to a lighter shade which gives sufficient view of the weld
zone without going below the minimum. In oxyfuel gas welding or
cutting where the torch produces a high yellow light, it is desirable to
use a filter lens that absorbs the yellow or sodium line in the visible light
of the (spectrum) operation.
** These values apply where the actual arc is clearly seen. Experience
has shown that lighter

Sorry the cut and paste didn't work too well, but you can get the gist of it.

/ Silly Question #7  
Safety glass work fine for oxy/act cutting,depends on your eyes,a little tint helps you see better to cut,if oxy/act welding you need to see the puddle so more tint would be usefull,also depends on how much cutting you do at a time.