New Everlast Just got it!

/ New Everlast Just got it! #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Just got my new Everlast Power ARC 160 tonite. and have been trying it out.
First Impression. it does all it says it will on the web-site. I have had a Lincoln AC 225 for about 15 years. I weld infrequently about 2 or 3 times per month. but that said, I have fixed countless things and built a few things. The old Lincoln does not owe me a dime. Still looks new and works like new. The new Everlast DC Inverter Stick is small, I was prepared for small but holy smokes, this thing is small! I put on a L6-50 plug and got to work. burnt some 6013 and 6011 rods, at various sizes and heats up to 135. penetration looked good, and saw some real differences between it and the AC 225.
1: the arc is very quite compared to the AC arc. about half the noise.
2: There is about half the spatter
3: There doesnt seem to be any inclusions of slag in the welds, this was nearly always a problem for me, only occasionly could I get good clean welds without inclusions with the AC arc.
4: The machine fan is much less noisy than the Lincoln.

None of the noise things ever bothered me with the Lincoln, but the better weld quality of the Everlast sure made me set up and take notice. Hey maybe there is something to this DC thing.! Anyway first impression is a good one. Had to quit as I was welding in the doorway and the basement was filling up with smoke, and too many bugs were flying in.. It is just too darn hot outside and the humidity is near 100 percent, I bet it is over 90 degrees outside still well after dark, and with that kind of humidity it is just miserable welding. I am an office worker, I set in air cond. all day and push a mouse around. I think the Lincoln is going up for sale.
James K0UA

/ New Everlast Just got it! #3  
I just ordered a PA 160 from Mark a couple of days ago. I look forward to trying it out when i receive it, and please post your experiences and any tips you learn about the welder as you go.

Thanks,
Jay

/ New Everlast Just got it! #4  
Looking for a plasma cutter, and looked at the Everlast site.
I really try to buy products made in the USA., so I'll pass.
regards,
Steve

/ New Everlast Just got it! #5  
Steve,

It will be a HARD search !

Oleg

/ New Everlast Just got it! #6  
Steve,

Oleg

No, really it won't.

Hypertherm is made in the USA :thumbsup: and you can talk to a real Hypertherm engineer on the phone if you have a problem.

I have dealt with them for years, and I can not be more happy with their support. I rank them up at the top for companies who have helped me or gone above and beyond my expectations!

/ New Everlast Just got it! #7  
I think what Oleg meant was that there isn't anything 100% American made. When you consider our price, as well, it is an impossibility.

You may find American designed, yes, American Assembled, yes, but many components and parts are foreign manufactured. They fit the legal definition of American made, but customers buying a 100% American made product, especially when it comes to electronics and components is a thing of the past. It hard to find a product that is 100% ANYWHERE made. Even our product is not 100% Chinese made. Chinese assembled yes. Parts of ours are made in America (transformer cores), Germany, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Italy, and China.

Hypertherm does manufacture its product here in the US. I know it makes an effort to build as much as possible in the US. So, it would be the best option if you want "American Made". They are in a class by themselves, but their price is not what ours is. Yes, they have their advantages, more local dealers, and more performance, but at our price, we provide more cutting power per dollar spent. And though they may have a higher top end( inch of cut per amp), it becomes a moot point if you cannot afford the the price or don't require that amount of performance.

/ New Everlast Just got it! #8  
Steve,

Oleg
Yeah! Even Vise Grips Are made in China now!!
Oleg, I bought a Powermaster 256 with Fabricator helmet thru you around Dec 09. There was a long delay getting the helmets in stock. When I got mine I found the #7 shade does not work. I notified you guys [Katya] but nothing has been done. Could you PM me so we can get it straightened out?
larry

/ New Everlast Just got it! #9  
Spyderlk,

The shade 7 is constantly dark right? At first we thought it was a defect, but this is how the unit is made for steady cutting, because the light sensitivity was not always enough to keep it dark so it was programmed to stay dark in 7 mode. We will be changing that in the future. We discussed this thoroughly with the factory and they will make some improvements. If you are unsatisfied with the way it is programmed, we will have some new improved filters soon. I don't know when, but it has been cleared for production.

/ New Everlast Just got it! #10  
Just got my new Everlast Power ARC 160 tonite. and have been trying it out.
First Impression. it does all it says it will on the web-site. I have had a Lincoln AC 225 for about 15 years. I weld infrequently about 2 or 3 times per month. but that said, I have fixed countless things and built a few things. The old Lincoln does not owe me a dime. Still looks new and works like new. The new Everlast DC Inverter Stick is small, I was prepared for small but holy smokes, this thing is small! I put on a L6-50 plug and got to work. burnt some 6013 and 6011 rods, at various sizes and heats up to 135. penetration looked good, and saw some real differences between it and the AC 225.
1: the arc is very quite compared to the AC arc. about half the noise.
2: There is about half the spatter
3: There doesnt seem to be any inclusions of slag in the welds, this was nearly always a problem for me, only occasionly could I get good clean welds without inclusions with the AC arc.
4: The machine fan is much less noisy than the Lincoln.

None of the noise things ever bothered me with the Lincoln, but the better weld quality of the Everlast sure made me set up and take notice. Hey maybe there is something to this DC thing.! Anyway first impression is a good one. Had to quit as I was welding in the doorway and the basement was filling up with smoke, and too many bugs were flying in.. It is just too darn hot outside and the humidity is near 100 percent, I bet it is over 90 degrees outside still well after dark, and with that kind of humidity it is just miserable welding. I am an office worker, I set in air cond. all day and push a mouse around. I think the Lincoln is going up for sale.
James K0UA

Great to hear about your first Everlast impressions. Sounds like a great machine. Yes DC is great but man an inverter based unit is out of this world. Good luck with your new purchase. You have a well backed unit with plenty of warranty and great support. Can't go wrong with that combination. :thumbsup: