I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart

/ I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I've had my new (to me) Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 stick welder for a few months now. The leads are short, so I have to move the welder close to the work. The beast is HEAVY, and it's hard to move. It comes down to this... I need a cart for this welder.

I'd love to see any design ideas that the collective genius of TBN has come up with. What have you done for a welding cart that you liked? What have you done that you didn't like?

I'm hoping to build some storage into my cart. I actually have a small rolling tool chest that I got at a garage sale. I may try to incorporate it somehow.

/ I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart #2  
A two wheel moving dolly will work, and a 4 wheel dolly will work, Check HF. Little green wagon from HD.

/ I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart #3  
I don't know exactly what you are wanting to do but if you are just wanting to roll it around the garage, just get a Harbor Freight movers dolly (wooden with 4 wheels) for $10 and call it good.

/ I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart
I have a little dolly cart that it's on right now. One problem is the wheels are too small and hang up on every one of the thousand cracks in my garage floor. The other thing I lack is storage. I want a way to store the 50 foot cord I added for input power. I'd like a convenient way to store the leads; and it would be nice to have my rods, slag hammer, etc. on a cart with the welder too.

I'll keep the HF dollys in mind as a quick alternative. For now I'd like to see some creative solutions that others have come up with.

/ I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart #5  
Get you some longer leads,make you a lead rack[thing to roll up leads on],than make you a welding table,leave table where you weld,or get fancy with it and put some caster roller type wheels on the legs so's you can move it.

Get you some longer leads,make you a lead rack[thing to roll up leads on],than make you a welding table,leave table where you weld,or get fancy with it and put some caster roller type wheels on the legs so's you can move it.

Most of the welding I've done lately is on a trailer or a loader. These things don't lend themselves well to being put on a welding table.

I've looked into longer leads, but I get sticker shock everytime I price out heavy gauge cable.

And you didn't get sticker shock for 50 ft of input cable?

I should have explained. I already had the 10 gauge cable. It was surplus from work.

I already checked. We don't have anything surplus that would work for welding leads.

/ I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart #9  
And you didn't get sticker shock for 50 ft of input cable?

i agree. use the long input cable to put the welding machine at the best place in the shop and leave it there.

used welding cables may be a lot easier to find than you think, and a lot easier to drag over rough cement, dirt, or anything else than a welding machine.:)

far as i know, the only welding machine you will usually find on a cart in a fab shop are the wire feeders because of the feeder distance limitations.

/ I'm Looking To Build A Welding Cart #10  
Now if you want a moble stick welder you get you a motor generator welder either a small one with wheels,or a bigger one mounted on a trailer or truck.:D