Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
There is an auction this Thursday with the above Plasma Cutter. Of course things are bought "as is where is". Given the risk, I was thinking if it looked good externally I would go as high as $400. Does that seems reasonable? It is used b a construction company.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #2  
Everything depends on the condition. If the Torch is in good shape it's worth it. If not, It will cost more than that to replace it. I see many used Plasma brands in my travels that would be worth $1000 or more if the $400 torch were in better shape.
Could be a fair entry level unit for the money if it works.
Good Luck.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #3  
I had a 600, great machine. Cut 3/8" with no problem. Never cut any bigger, but anything 3/8" under was awesome.

I now have Hypertherm 1250. Great brand, and you can NOT ask for a better company regarding support! you get to talk to a REAL TECH, and they speak perfect English, and actually know the workings of these machines!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The new unit is the Hypertherm 45, better technology than the older 600. Check for htese new/used too.

A great condition used 600 normally goes for 900. (IE: HObby/Home use used unit).

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #4  
I also have a HP PM600. Great machine! I have cut 3/8" as well as 1/2" with no problems, most recently I used it to gouge welds away from the tooth shanks on a mini-excavator bucket I was fixing and it truly amazed me!

$400 would be a steal, $600-$800 would be average.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #5  
Just went to a demonstration today of their 80 amp unit on a plasma table. I wasn't particularly impressed. Hypertherm touts its long life consumables, and the consumable didn't even make it through its first 8 ft linear cut on a new table. The techs were mumbling a lot about issues they were having with some things. I am going back tomorrow to see part two of the demonstration so I hope things improve. I know what I have heard about their units have been wonderful, and glowing, but it was struggling to cut 3/8" plate on a 42 degree bevel, around 2 feet per minute cutting speed, and they had to increase pierce delay time to around 4 seconds. Not to discourage anybody from purchasing, one, I was considerably taken back by its performance, since, many people have given such high marks....I was expecting much more performance, after having used our units for so long. I think if they figure out the roasted consumable issue, things might work better. I am sure there is some reason this happening. But as soon as the techs saw the problems, they started making all sorts of excuses about the quality of the air supply and other issues that caused it, but several other Millers are in use around the shop and the tanks is drained daily and high quality dryers are used on the line... It may also have been from the settings within the CNC table. But it was shooting a steady shower of sparks while the pilot arc was engaged.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #6  
That unit will sell for $900 or more so you might as well not even waste your time at $400. Do a Completed Listings search and you'll see what I mean.

On a side note, why is this site littered with advertisers (not always the same one) that find a way to bash a competitors product in any thread they can find? Just so some of you know, I specifically shop elsewhere after reading that. Mark, you just joined that list.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #7  
Just went to a demonstration today of their 80 amp unit on a plasma table. I wasn't particularly impressed. Hypertherm touts its long life consumables, and the consumable didn't even make it through its first 8 ft linear cut on a new table. The techs were mumbling a lot about issues they were having with some things. I am going back tomorrow to see part two of the demonstration so I hope things improve. I know what I have heard about their units have been wonderful, and glowing, but it was struggling to cut 3/8" plate on a 42 degree bevel, around 2 feet per minute cutting speed, and they had to increase pierce delay time to around 4 seconds. Not to discourage anybody from purchasing, one, I was considerably taken back by its performance, since, many people have given such high marks....I was expecting much more performance, after having used our units for so long. I think if they figure out the roasted consumable issue, things might work better. I am sure there is some reason this happening. But as soon as the techs saw the problems, they started making all sorts of excuses about the quality of the air supply and other issues that caused it, but several other Millers are in use around the shop and the tanks is drained daily and high quality dryers are used on the line... It may also have been from the settings within the CNC table. But it was shooting a steady shower of sparks while the pilot arc was engaged.

Mark it's not impressive when a company bashes their competition.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #8  
That unit will sell for $900 or more so you might as well not even waste your time at $400. Do a Completed Listings search and you'll see what I mean.

On a side note, why is this site littered with advertisers (not always the same one) that find a way to bash a competitors product in any thread they can find? Just so some of you know, I specifically shop elsewhere after reading that. Mark, you just joined that list.

I agree 100%. I don't see how he can even make such comments, they are not even on the same playing field as hypertherm. :laughing: and while he didn't come out and say we are better, buy ours, that's exactly what that slimy sales post was about. It puts me off very much!

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter
The main reason I was saying $400 as a price was that you can't see it work. It is an auction "as is where is". How many of you would buy this unit for $900 without actually seeing it perform?

Anyway thank you for your input.

I drove by the auction site today and they were getting things ready but I didn't stop. I think I will drive by tomorrow and stop and take a look. The worst they can do is tell me to be on my way. The auction is at 9 AM on Thursday and it is a location with very little parking.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #10  
TWD,

I can certainly see where you were coming from, but I was doing this on my own for my personal experience and betterment. I was not bashing, and said I would report on what happens tomorrow. Do you think I made up what happened or something? I sat/stood there from 4-7pm today hoping to see it work. It did not happen...period. It made one actual cut and blew out the tip. It could happen to any brand if something isn't right. It could be that the unit is not reducing amps when the pilot arc fires or that the electrode seized...

If I need to, I guess I could retrieve the burned out consumables...

Being a rep for another company somehow prevents me from making any kind of remark about what I personally observed or any comment I make in passing should be invalidated whether FOR or AGAINST? I never said it was bad or bashed it in any way. I just reported on its performance today. I am going to be using it extensively in the next few weeks to learn some more about it and its performance. Its a new unit and a new table...a lot of things can go wrong. Again, I never bashed it, only said I was disappointed in the afternoon's events.

I am here as a representative of my company but also as an individual. I have a background in farming, farm equipment, vegetable and floral production, and I run my own welding business on the side...which was the primary reason I was attending the instructional class. Again I was not trying to promote my own units, but I was actually, if you caught my dry humor, deprecating my own product by saying I expected more out of it than mine.

I guess if you are incensed that this website is supported by advertisers and particularly by a company you oppose, then I can see where it could come across the way you have seen it.

But let me be clear...I will say it again...I was not bashing the unit,and I look forward to using it over the next 8 weeks or so. Everyone that has one of these units that I have talked to likes it. I am sure the bugs will get fixed tomorrow and it will operate fine...