Like a dream??

/ Like a dream?? #1  

firedog

Gold Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 300DTC
At least that's what I've been told. "Switching from stick to wire feed is like a dream" Yeah, well. a bad dream for my first attempt.
I'm no welder by any stretch of the imagination, but I can run a decent bead once I get warmed up. I bought this wire feed machine (Lincoln 140) to do some thin metal work I have coming up, but though I'd get started with some 1/8" angle. I set the wire speed & amps according to the guide, but had trememdous problems maintaining a continuous bead.
1) a lot more slag than I thought I should have
2) wire at times pushing against the work piece instead of melting
3) other times wire would "pop" and I would lose the arc
4) no difference with pre-heating metal
Using innershield 0.035 wire for mild steel.

What do I need to do?? I'm ready to go back to stick.

/ Like a dream?? #2  
At least that's what I've been told. "Switching from stick to wire feed is like a dream" Yeah, well. a bad dream for my first attempt.
I'm no welder by any stretch of the imagination, but I can run a decent bead once I get warmed up. I bought this wire feed machine (Lincoln 140) to do some thin metal work I have coming up, but though I'd get started with some 1/8" angle. I set the wire speed & amps according to the guide, but had trememdous problems maintaining a continuous bead.

Are you using gas?I use my sp135 with 023 wire,I believe deeper penitration on heavier metal and still works good on the light stuff.Just repaired a hummingbird yard dodad not much heavier than foil so they do a wide range of things:thumbsup:Dave

/ Like a dream?? #3  
I'm no expert, but I prefer to set my wire feed based on the sound/feel, not what the book suggests. Some of your issues, to me, sound wire feed related.

/ Like a dream?? #4  
I switched back from wire to stick, like them both, just feel better with stick. I also weld some thin stuff with stick, it does take some getting use to though.

/ Like a dream?? #5  
general comments...

some flux core wire is better than others...I have bought some off brands and had problems as described by the OP...

If using a shielding gas and working outside the wind can play havoc and make it almost impossible...

the gude's voltage and wire speed settings are good places to start for the specific sized stock but they are not written in stone...try adjusting for what you are seeing...

make sure the ground clamp is making good contact and be sure it is not getting warm

/ Like a dream?? #6  

Hold on. Give it some time. Try few things first:

1) How's the ground?
2) Since you're using flux core is the material clean?
3) When you're getting your setting info are you getting it for the right wire diameter and material thickness, gas or flux core (innershield)?
4) Are you kinking the lead too much?
5) Is the drive wheel (wire feed wheel) adjusted properly?
6) Do you have a good tip on it?
7) How far away are you holding the gun from the work surface?

All of these come into play and please don't let me insult you with any of these questions.:eek: A mig machine is a nice thing to have but like anything else if it isn't operating properly and causing you too much work and headache it's not worth it. Let us know what you find out.:thumbsup:

/ Like a dream?? #7  

I sold my MIG and went back to stick. I'm lazy. I don't prep my work like I should for wire feed, and I didn't spend the time to really learn MIG.

From your symptoms it sounds like the surface is not prepared well. (I've been there.) Unlike stick welding, wirefeed welders like to see clean, shiny metal. This is true of the work area and of the ground.

My dad always used to joke that the difference between a good welder and a bad welder is who knows how to use a grinder. I've since learned that's true. A good welder uses the grinder before welding. A bad welder uses it after.

/ Like a dream?? #9  
Have you check the polarity for the wire you are using, Inside the cover, there are two leads, and I can't remember which setting is for which wire. I believe it is printed on the plate.

/ Like a dream?? #10  
i think pretty much any problem you could have has probably been covered here already, but here's a few of the things i have found that might help.

1. check the polarity as J.J. suggested. if the machine came with a regulator it was probably set for mig and not flux core.

2. my experience is that i am happier with more heat than the specs say. try starting a little higher than they suggest (unless you burn through). pick a heat and stick with it while practicing, but try varying the wire feed speed to see if you find a happy medium.

3. you need a good shiny spot to start the arc at. i find that after the arc is started, keeping the puddle slightly ahead of you will melt a small amount of rust, so it isn't totally critical that everything be perfect - but the initial start point must be.

4. holding the gun further away from the object will put more strain (heat) into the wire, and moving it closer to the object will put the heat into base metal. i actually use this as a technique to help when welding things that are borderline thin or thick for a small wire feed. if i am trying to weld something very thin with 0.035 flux core i pull the gun away more to try to avoid burning through. you will actually notice the wire turn red between the tip and the base metal when you do this. if welding very thick steel, i run the tip as close to the base metal as possible so that i can still see the puddle. this does tend to put excessive wear on tips though.

5. a cheap needle scaler will be your best friend. that tiny flux core wire can heap as much of a coating of flux on a weld bead as any stick will.

Last edited: