Just a couple of guards

/ Just a couple of guards #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
Today I had to fabricate two guards for some piece of farm equipment. As you can see in the first photo the original guard was pretty bad. All the cutting of the 3/16 plate was done with the ironworker and you'll notice that all the bends were done on the ironworker as well. They were painted and our company decal was added to them. Here's how it turned out.I also rebuilt a fan shaft and bearings that you'll see in one of the photos as well. I got 15.5 hours in for today so it's off to the house :cool:

Attachments

• gu1.JPG
    gu1.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 236
  • gu2.jpg
    gu2.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 214
  • gu3.jpg
    gu3.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 243
  • gu4.jpg
    gu4.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
   / Just a couple of guards
More pics!

Attachments

• gu8.jpg
    gu8.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 202
  • gu7.jpg
    gu7.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 190
  • gu6.jpg
    gu6.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 202
  • gu5.jpg
    gu5.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 216
The welding was done with Millers Millermatic 350 P and welding was done in pulse mode. I included a photo of the weld for your viewing pleasure .;)

Attachments

• gu9.jpg
    gu9.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 221
  • gu10.jpg
    gu10.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 255
  • gu11.jpg
    gu11.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 258
   / Just a couple of guards #4  
You are one scary dude with what you do. Nice work, as always.:thumbsup:

You are one scary dude with what you do. Nice work, as always.:thumbsup:

Dave if you think this is scary you should see me with my welding helmet off :shocked: :laughing: Thanks for your nice comments on my work :eek:. This project is not ground breaking by any stretch of the imagination but seeing how I did it might give someone out there an idea or two on how to do one of there projects. Then again it might show the the guys who really know what there doing on how not to do it :laughing:

That is the prettiest weld yet. When are you getting a CNC plasma cutter? :)

Thank you Matt. When ever I post a welding/fabrication project I like to include a photo of my welds. It's just part of the package so to speak.

As for CNC I can't see it happening. I'm a hands on type of guy and everything I do is in low production numbers. If it stays that way I'll continue the way I'm going BUT IF I were to get an order for as an example 100 of those guards I could justify going CNC.

I try and post a small portion of my welding projects on here but the fact is I'm still doing mostly mechanical repairs in the shop. Yesterday when I did those two projects I also did 4 vehicle repairs and one motorcycle repair so CNC is really not something I'd go for right now but I'll never say never ;)

Glad you liked my welds and I appreciate your comments as always. Thanks, Paul

/ Just a couple of guards #7  
Nice looking work shop..what dreams are made of. :)

/ Just a couple of guards #8  
Nice work. Looks like you are using a Hypertherm plasma torch as well. Cnc plasma machines can be had for small shops for reasonable prices today. I have a 4 x 4 PlasmaCam machine in my home / horse farm shop with a Hypertherm Powermax45 plasma....it paid for itself just doing a bit of part time work in the first 6 months I owned it. Here are some pics.
Jim Enfield, NH

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 170
  • ziplinecuts 010.jpg
    ziplinecuts 010.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 177
   / Just a couple of guards #9  
Paul,

You said "All the cutting of the 3/16 plate was done with the ironworker...". How did you do the round cuts?

Nice looking work shop..what dreams are made of. :)

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed seeing it. :)

Nice work. Looks like you are using a Hypertherm plasma torch as well. Cnc plasma machines can be had for small shops for reasonable prices today. I have a 4 x 4 PlasmaCam machine in my home / horse farm shop with a Hypertherm Powermax45 plasma....it paid for itself just doing a bit of part time work in the first 6 months I owned it. Here are some pics.
Jim Enfield, NH

Jim that's a nice looking set up and some beautiful cuts. I'm going to have to do some research on that thing. Thanks for posting the pics. I think you and Matt got the seed planted :laughing::drool:

Paul,

You said "All the cutting of the 3/16 plate was done with the ironworker...". How did you do the round cuts?

Cyril I just nibbled around it with the notcher and just had to finesse it with a flap disc. I wanted to see how much I could do with just the Ironworker and was pleased with the outcome. Now if you could buy an Ironworker with a welding station attached then add a chair I'd just sit down to the think and not move until quitting time :laughing: