Cutting old fuel oil tank

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #1  

s78wingrider

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 gear
I want to cut end out of old 275 gallon heating oil tank and can't afford torch. I have plenty of electric hand tools and blades, but don't know if that would be a waste of time or not? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you Aaron

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #2  
I want to cut end out of old 275 gallon heating oil tank and can't afford torch. I have plenty of electric hand tools and blades, but don't know if that would be a waste of time or not? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you Aaron

No direct experience with oil tanks, but a reciprocating saw with a good blade (or blades) should do the trick. I like the Milwaukee Torch blades -- they seem to stay sharper longer than the other blades I have tried.

Steve

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #3  
Reciprocal saw will work well... also can use metal cutting disks in an angle grinder.

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank
Thanks! Been thinking of taking that approach. I have what I think are some good saw saw blades, guess I will find out! I also have small angle grinder I need to get blades for and may try old B&D skill saw I only use for cutting metal. Thanks again, Aaron

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #5  
I've used a reciprocal saw on an oil tank, worked very well. As a precaution, I filled the tank with water first! ~~ grnspot110

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #6  
I've used a reciprocal saw on an oil tank, worked very well. As a precaution, I filled the tank with water first! ~~ grnspot110

Yes, NO SPARKS.

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #7  

assuming it was used as an oil (diesel, k1, #2, etc) and not a gasoline tank, you aren't going to have any issue with sparks. i've disposed of a few of them at scrap yards, and they always want them cut in half first. i've used a sawzall and it cuts through them easy and fast.

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #8  
Mine is in my crawl space. Anyone wanna come remove it?:laughing:

/ Cutting old fuel oil tank #9  
I'd be a little worried about sparks myself,[course maybe cause I've been on fire a few times],you could run water in it,,use a angle grinder,,they sell different thicknesses of disks,,you want a thinner one,maybe not real thin cutting disk but maybe 1/8th thick one,,might need 4-5,,,welding supply places sell them.