Welding Table Build

/ Welding Table Build #1  

weldingisfun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor
All fired up, getting ready to start a project I have been thinking and dreaming about doing for years. I am going to build a welding table and promise to carry you along, if interested, from start to finish.

My materials list consists of:
4'x8'x3/8" plate for the top;
3"x1/8" square tubing for the legs;
1-1/4"x1/8" square tubing for the spreaders;
2"x1/4" flat stock for stiffeners;
Titan Casters 3 in. Sintered Iron Plate Caster Swivels from TSC Titan Casters 3 in. Sintered Iron Plate Caster Swivel - 3520449 | Tractor Supply Company

I welcome any constructive criticism and suggestions from anyone. All I ask is that you not tell me my welds are amatuerish. I already know that.:ashamed:

The attached drawing shows the concept.

I already have the plate and casters, the rest of the steel has been ordered.

Attachments

• Welding Table.jpg
    Welding Table.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,067
   / Welding Table Build #2  
Looks like a good plan. You might consider adding shelves. I have two shelves under mine and they get lots of use. Also might want to think about adding some levellers if your floor is a little uneven (like mine....).

Oh, and if you're going to paint it, you might want to do so before you put the top on.

Best of luck, looking forward to the pics.

/ Welding Table Build #3  
shelves and levelers are a good suggestion.

3/4 or larger bolts and a nut welded to a pipe then to the frame will work for a leveler. This comes in real handy when trying to build things "square".

I probably would have went a hair thicker on the top, but it should work for you.

you should have castors with brakes ( or install a stand alone table lock) if you want to use the table as a work bench.

expanded metal makes a good shelf if you put one in. Plywood burns (ask me how i know :) )

another idea is to add a cutting area with an inset grate, and a box under it to catch slag. This is more advanced but will give you a place to make cuts with a torch. You can add this later but it would be more work.

you might consider adding square tubing receivers under the edge of the top on the corners. This will give you a place to add "attachments" like a vise, but remove them when you need the space.

Also ensure that you have ~6" around the perimiter of the top to enable you to clamp things for welding. If the frame is too close to the edge it makes clamping harder.

/ Welding Table Build #4  
I probably would have went a hair thicker on the top, but it should work for you.

I agree. 3/8" isnt very stout given the distance you are spanning. It may make some noise when doing some heavy hammering on it or it will likely bow a little bit if you place something heavy in the middle.

I'd suggest a few cross supports to keep the span down. Something like three 2" x 2" angle Iron supports every few feet spanning the 4' direction.

/ Welding Table Build #5  
Yeah,1/2 inch would be a better choice,,5-6 ft would probably be better even with 1/2 inch,unless you are putting legs in middle.But,,who knows,won't know till you got it made,I got one about 4 ft by 5 ft top out of 1/2 inch,,8ft out of 3/8,,don't know...

/ Welding Table Build #6  
I agree. 3/8" isnt very stout given the distance you are spanning. It may make some noise when doing some heavy hammering on it or it will likely bow a little bit if you place something heavy in the middle.

I'd suggest a few cross supports to keep the span down. Something like three 2" x 2" angle Iron supports every few feet spanning the 4' direction.

+1 on this. Stiffen the top. Duplicate this on the bottom frame if you want to use expanded metal mesh for shelf. Install shelf frame perimiter with the open part of the angle towards the centre so that one leg acts as a lip to keep stuff on the shelf. The cross pieces will obviously be installed with one leg laid horizontal.

/ Welding Table Build #7  
When I bought my first house I built a work bench 4X8 ft. Could not reach the back part with out taking a run and jump. Of course mine had one side against the wall. After some time I cut it down to 3 foot deep and life was good. Still my main bench now. :thumbsup:

May want to think about getting a stronger wheel or add two more wheels.

Cheers!

/ Welding Table Build #8  
Are you planning on using the casters to make this table roll around? I would think that at 300lbs each they may be too small. If so I would find a way to make it so you can lift them up once in place. If you do need to hammer on something you really don't want to table rolling away or to be putting that much force on them.

/ Welding Table Build #9  
I think your casters would be fine for your table as described. I have about a 3x5 table with a 3/4" top that has those exact same casters, it rolls around easily. Table weighs about 700lbs loaded with clamps/grinders and the other misc stuff i have in the drawers.

I used 2" square tubing for the legs and top stretchers, 2x2 angle for the bottom stretchers with expanded metal welded to the underside of the angle.

I put some 1" allthread off the legs to drive down onto the floor if i need the table to not move, or be level. But at the weight that it is, the table has a fair amount of inertia, so it does not roll around under normal use.

But of course, I dont think you will be happy with a 3/8" top at that size. I think the minimum top thickness for that size table would be 5/8". If you move to a 5/8" top, the casters may be undersized.

/ Welding Table Build #10  
When I bought my first house I built a work bench 4X8 ft. Could not reach the back part with out taking a run and jump. Of course mine had one side against the wall. After some time I cut it down to 3 foot deep and life was good. Still my main bench now. :thumbsup:

May want to think about getting a stronger wheel or add two more wheels.

Cheers!

This was my thinking also. If the table will be against the wall then you shouldn't make it any wider than you can reach. This is a very big welding table that will weight a lot. I wonder why you want it so big? If you are going to be welding long stuff you could use a saw horse to support an end and have a smaller table. If I were going to make a table this big, I would have a grate with a catch basin on part of the top for cutting with a torch or plasma cutter and make the rest of it solid.