gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
got some cast aluminum parts for my ford 950 I am gonna try my hand at repairing. ( dogleg to pedistal supports for you ford rowcrop savy people )

I've got propane or o/a looks like it will work with anything that can make 700-730+'

I've got a good selection of new/clean wire brushes to clean up the work pieces. I'll be soldering a piece of bar stock that I will be cutting down, onto a piece of cast aluminum, to recreate an ear for a bolt to pass thru. piece is held clamped to a cast iron flat surface, and a piece of hood tin is bolted to studs inthe side of the thing.. it shouldn't get much movement or flexing in this position.

any body want to offer any tips?

I figure at worst I'll end up with some melted aluminum alloy droppings and my original cast part.. so no loss except the cost of the alloy rod ( about 1$ ) and some gas usage and my time.

and no..I don't have a dc welder to do stick aluminum.. nor do I have or know anyone with a aluminum spool on their mig.. nor do I know anyone with a tig.. :) I'm just going to try it myself.

worst case is it goes back together with a big flat washer holding down the broke ear like it has been for probably decades.. so I have nothing to loose..

soundguy

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #2  
Please let us know how it comes out..I dont have any experience, but I am interested. Of course I am sure you have read all the things about aluminum, such as only using the Stainless Steel unused non-contaminated brush, and that aluminum gives no warning color change before it melts and falls in the floor. But I have seen some interesting things on U tube if you can believe them, using one of those Cobra o/a torches. I think most of the processes rely heavily on the operator being an expert. But anyway I sure would like to know how you made out.
James K0UA

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #3  
I have used this allow rod to make a gas tank for one of my hit and misses as well as repair a broken fuel pump body on another. You can melt what you're trying to repair if you're not careful. I brushed the parts clean with a brass brush I think and tinned them before joining them together. The repairs have held for 15 years.

M.D.

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #4  
I used to sell Filler metals and can offer this info. For Oxy/Acet, You can take an Aluminum Stick Rod and Braze Aluminum quite well with it. Practice 1st. Also, For filling holes and light joining, Weld-Kote 52 with or without 52 flux. This is the rod that you see at fairs selling for $30#..Its $5 from Weld-Kote. For joining, Harris ALcore Aluminum Solder. Heavy Duty Joining or for fixing Bullet Holes in Irrigation Pipe, Harris Welco " Coral " Aluminum Rod with a Nasty Flux Core. Best bet, Find someone with an AC/DC Tig unit..Or spoolgun for 2nd choice.

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod
thought I'd get to play today.. but had to go get hay and feed.

might get some gas weld time tomorrow..

soundguy

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #6  
Its $5 from Weld-Kote.

do you have a link? I could not find them with google.
James K0UA

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #8  
I used some hollow core aluminum alloy brazing rod, must have been 1978, and it worked amazingly well. I did a demo for the welding supply dealer by buttwelding 2 pieces of schedule 80 aluminum pipe together. It fused perfectly and looked as good as a tig weld. I dont remember the brand name but there should be some improvement in 30 years I would think. IT was in 36 inch long joints just like TIG wire but had a liquid gel center flux (fluxcore) I have tried to use the external flux cored stuff but it is hard to tell what you are heating as the flux glows so much you cant see the weld puddle. That Flux cored wire worked great. Try Harris brand, they usually are the most up to date on alloy rods.
PS. I dont know if you would call this stuff I used solder or not because it seemed to melt at just slightly less temps than the parent metal and finished product was just as hard and same color as the aluminum pipe.

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #9  
Ive bought those "miracle rods" at fairs before. Never had a bit of luck with them. Followed instructions to the letter. Either too much heat .,. or not enough? no fusion? Just gave up on them:mad:

Soundguy : please post back your results im curious if it works for you. I know it can work (watched the demo guy fuse a couple pop cans) but it dont for me:laughing:

/ gas welding aluminum with alloy 'solder' rod #10  
That stuff seems to work best at filling holes, never had much luck at doing much welding with it.