I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 "

/ I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 " #1  

ampa

Gold Member
I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 "

I'm gonna' include a bunch of pics of what I'm doin' here....I'm tryin' to build a kind of hoist affair....I'll be attachin' a U type eyelet hook to the bolt of the hydraulic ram..... then usin' a chain from the attachin' point of the hook to somewhere convient on the "A" frame of the snowblade....I needed something to be adjustable....and this setup seems to fit my needs to a "T".

I got this idea from an OP's snowplough setup on his John Deere tractor from a past post....I've been tryin' to use up any used metal I have kickin' around the garage...got to clean up the garage and a storage area that will be my workshop/new metal work bench and all my machinery.....so nows a good chance for me to use alot of it up and make room.

So far some made up parts are okay but some need to beefed up with either 1/8" or 1/4" leanin' more towards the 1/4" stock.... My new Lincoln is set up for wire only( flux wire core only)....I've heard that the flux core welds better but you don't get a nice clean bead like you get with gas........anyhow guys please view the pics and tell me if I'm goin' about this the correct way.

"Yes" that is a mini hack saw I'm usin' to split the metal down...for the boom to ride in.......I could use my 4" grinder slap on a 1/8" thickness 4" cuttin' disc..... but it makes too many sparks and cuts out too much metal.

<<<<>>>Thanks in advance<<<<>>>> __________________AMPA<<<<<>>>>:)

Attachments

• DSCF5018.jpg
    DSCF5018.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCF5017.jpg
    DSCF5017.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF5019.jpg
    DSCF5019.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCF5020.jpg
    DSCF5020.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Mounted Double Lever Valve.jpg
    Mounted Double Lever Valve.jpg
    794.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
   / I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 " #2  
Re: I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 "

Should be no problem. I have an older SP-135 and I know it would do it fine. I always run it hotter than what is listed on the chart. You will need to grind any paint and mill scale off so you get a good clean weld surface. You should probably practice a little on some scrap to get the settings that work best. You'll need to direct the heat primarily into the thicker piece.

Kim

/ I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 " #3  
Re: I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 "

I agree, it should work. Just be sure to concentrate the heat on the heavier/thicker metal a little more than the thinner stuff.

/ I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 "

Thanks Kim and Mark....I'm a complete newbie when it come to wire feed welding....I couldn't even learn arc/stick welding....but then again I only had a little cheapie 50 amp AC 110/120 welder an old guy gave me for free approx 5 maybe 6 years ago...if I feel I can't do the job correctly..... at least I can tack it together somewhat and give the job to a old friend I know that has a small shop out in the country who builds custom trailers...

He only charges me $20 every time I bring him some small stuff that needs to be welded.... he has all the right equipment( his welder is a big blue one.... could be a MILLER.

I do have two new spools of flux core wire and extra tips.... so I'll give it my best shot...I will need to clean up this old used metal I've been usin'....most of the metal is from my ol' greymarket ISEKI's old underbelly mower mount....I do own a large sandblast cabinet I bought new last year big enough to get all these parts/pieces into.

My new compressor I just built up and the only tank I could use was an upright 10 gal from a Briggs & Straton BRUTE compressor that blew a reed so I scrapped it and kept the tank and welded a frame on top it ....I just recently bought a proper brand new 20 gal tank complete with the mount....just have to take some time out to put it together....or use the compressor as is.....take care.....Ampa :)

Last edited:
   / I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 " #5  

The sheet metal from your mower will not weld well. It is embedded with sand, and you'll run into a lot of problems getting a strong, well formed joint.

/ I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 " #6  

If you do not feel comfortable making the weld, you may TACK the 1/4 and 1/8 pieces together and have them welded.
Try a couple of welds on a T joint to get the hang of it. The fillet will have a triangular cross section, with each leg equal to the thickness of that piece, 1/4 inch leg on the 1/4 inch stock and 1/8 inch leg on the 1/8 inch stock.
:)

Here's a two pics of my welding project....had to install a double acting ram/cylinder as the Myers ram was only single acting and required the weight of a plough(gravity to lower it)...the 48" snowblade I installed is designed for an ATV..... the blade is only about 1/8" thick....where as a 4x4 pickup truck blade is approx 1/4" or more in thickness besides bein' from 7'-8' in length.and weighing approx 300 lbs or more......Ampa

Attachments

• DSCF5039.jpg
    DSCF5039.jpg
    996.3 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCF5034.jpg
    DSCF5034.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 329
   / I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 " #8  

Well,if your machine works as it is supposed to,than yeah you can,,,it generally boils down to the person using the machine though,can you make a solid weld between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick steel?

Your right on with it's not so much the machinery doin' it's thing....depends on the operator....as can I weld 1/8 to 1/4 or vise versa....pretty much not...

I'm not really that good at brazin' rod when I use my small set acc/ oxo....but so far anything I've ever brazed is still holdin'.....infact onetime I had to take a piece of metal apart that I had welded up maybe 2 years ago...I only needed a small piece of it and had to use my chop saw to get it....

Although we moved this past spring....I'm havin' a hard time findin' all my tools....you know how it is when you hire cheap help :laughing:.....anyhow I'm tearin' the basement apart lookin' for my solar helmet.....
I'm findin' other things that I couldn't find before....if worse comes to worse I'll have to use the shield that came with my Lincoln....you know the one you hold in your left hand...

If I was just usin' my torches I don't use no eye protection goggles...but the electric wire feed....I wouldn't want to chance it.... just today I went out to Beach Road Steel Sales and picked a 18" length of 1/2"x1/2" 1/8" square tubing for the boom section.... that will do the job without any reinforcing it may even be a bit thicker than 1/8"....it's the same as the up right piece you can see it in the pic I posted.....I should have done this in the first place...only cost less than $6.

While
I was lookin' for my helmet....I found a cloth bag with a buch of 1/4" mild steel brackets.... I'd been lookin' for since I started this project....isn't that the way it is when your lookin' for something you needed yesterday.....got to think about tryin' to find something else.... and just maybe..... I'll find my hemet lol.....thank you ever so much for your input....take care<<<>>>Ampa

Last edited:
   / I'm wondering if my little 125 LINCOLN 120 volt will weld 1/4" stock to 1/8 " #10  

I weld 1/4 with my weld-pac 100. I run it till the thermal overload trips. Then take a break and let me and it cool.