Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder #1  

First one

Gold Member
Tractor
08' Kubota L3240 HST /cab
Picked this up off an old timer craftmen 230 AC with gloves, box of diff rods not one missing, hammer , plain jane helmet for $100 . He said he got it and never had anywhere to hook up to 220. Its never been used ,but is an older one. It has continous control arc , Hi and Lo.
I've never done much welding ,once or twice but would love to start fooling around with some ideas now I've got my tractor.

Is this welder going to be enough to weld up some steel to take being pulled around and hauled on by a tractor.
I know dumb newbie welder Q.:confused3:

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder #2  
It should weld just about anything steel you will need to weld. The rods are very likely no good unless they are sealed in the original can. Have fun just get some steel and run beads on it after you can run a bead then try welding something together.

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder
It should weld just about anything steel you will need to weld. The rods are very likely no good unless they are sealed in the original can. Have fun just get some steel and run beads on it after you can run a bead then try welding something together.
Like I said pretty green here, did I read somewhere that a good rod to play around would be 60..... something .As far as the settings go , if i wanted to mess around with 1/4 stock should I have it cranked right up there ? I know I should be picking up a book or something , any good places on line to get some basic stuff?

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder #4  
Welding machines are like paint brushes,depends on whos using it:)

You should take a basic smaw welding class,but,,try it out,,and see.

Put you one of them old rods in it,turn it up about 1/2 ways,if it don't want to run,turn it up,,if it melts a hole turn it down,,thats the basics.:D

Welding machines are like paint brushes,depends on whos using it:)

You should take a basic smaw welding class,but,,try it out,,and see.

Put you one of them old rods in it,turn it up about 1/2 ways,if it don't want to run,turn it up,,if it melts a hole turn it down,,thats the basics.:D
Well if" thats the basic" than there no need putting it off . I should pick up some rods at the store ,I'll ask just what I should start out with . The pieces of stock I have aren't new and have rust on them . Wire brush first? or just weld it . Any other hints for a newbie? .:thumbsup:

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder #6  
Here's one. go to northern tool and get their 50 dollar automatic darkening helmet. It is supposed to be a good one for the money. get one for sure no matter where you buy it. you will really enjoy it a lot. It allows you to see while trying to strike the arc. instead of fumbling around in the dark. Sure you can weld with a ordinary helmet. but as a novice, you welding will be improved over 100 percent by getting an automatic helmet.

Get some E6013 to start. Nice easy rod to start arc with. The cleaner the better for the steel, but E6011 will weld rusty metal pretty well. Just my opinion, but start experimenting, have fun
James K0UA

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder #7  
By the sounds you might have some what same model as I..purchase my Sears welder mearly mid 70's.
A & B heat setting also cutting attachment...unit has no problem hot glueing 3/8".

Ok ,stoped by the store and picked up Weldmark E6011 plus 5lb. Felt a little stupid when asked what size 3/32 or 5/32 had to think fast :confused3:(which I'm not good at )and said 3/32 ,like I knew what I wanted ya. So now your going to tell me I should have gone with the other one right? :ashamed:I saved the receit so I could take them back . Not going to start doing anything until this weekend so...I'll look around on line to see if I can find out more about rod size ,and just what each one is good for.
I'll look into northern tool about that helmet too ,sounds like I could use all the help I can get.:thumbsup:
We have a place where people take unwanted metal to throw out , thought I'd pick up some scrap to mess around with until I feel up to my first project .
I have the metal shipping crate that my 5' flail came in and thought that if I could weld it up I could make a 3pt carry all. If I can get any good at it at all I just might tackle the modifications I want to do to my clamp on forks.
Any other tips from anyone would be helpful , thanks!:drink:

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder #9  
First one I don't ever run on AC except for Tig welding aluminum. But I do like Hobart's 6011. Most people turn their nose up at 6011, so I did a little testing.

Welded a piece of pipe in the 5-G position.
Cover3.jpg

Cut the coupons out.
cap.jpg

root.jpg

ready.jpg

Used my bender to bend the coupons.
Bender.jpg

Not to bad. ;)
Set.jpg

/ Sears, Roebuck Craftmen Arc. Welder #10  
You got the right size, in my opinion. for most of what you will want to do.. 5/32 is pretty big rod. so thicker materials and more current. (higher amp settings). set for 90 amps to start, and go up or down as needed per the previous advise.
James K0UA