new vs. used pipe for fence

/ new vs. used pipe for fence #11  
Just to clarify, the used pipe that I, previously, bought used in an estate sale was only "used" to the extent that it had been purchased in length, cut down to a standard size for fence rails, then sat inside a barn for 6+ years. The pipe had a coat of rust, but a simple inspection revealed very little penetration and a sound product.

When given a choice of new pipe or "used in-service," I have bought only new 3/16" wall thickness. In fact, I bought 5000' (approx) of new pipe and square tube for more fencing on Saturday, a couple of days ago. :thumbsup:

Sorry to create any confusion.

/ new vs. used pipe for fence #12  
When the oil business crashed in the early eighties, LOTS of oil field pipe was available CHEAP for quite awhile thereafter. I saw LOTS of fence go up with it and I still see lots of that fence still standing and in great shape.

If it were me I wouldn't hesitate two seconds if it was readily available and offered a savings.

BTW something I learned in piecing a little pipe fence together is to clean it well and use a DC welder with 7018.

/ new vs. used pipe for fence #13  
Thanks for all the replies. Wroughtn_harv I am really glad you chimed in. I have followed many of your posts on fencing over the years and consider you to be the resident expert. The new pipe I am looking at is actually thicker than standard schedule forty. It is .190 wall and 4.43 lbs per foot.

I guess the used pipe is really a crap shoot more than anything. Some people have luck with it like Ecosilk, and people that got the good stuff in the eighties, and others but then there is a lot of junk out there also. The bad part is there is no way to tell what is what by looking at it as the problem is inside the pipe.

I am on a fairly tight budget for this project and I was hoping to save some money on the pipe but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. I mean the $2000 savings would be great but when you look at the total cost and the amount of labor involved for the project I sure would hate for it to rust apart on me over trying to save 2k.

.190? That's great. I would jump on it twice.

I am just finishing up replacing twenty six posts that were rusted completely through on a fence I put in four years ago. It's around a pool and I believe the reason for instant decay is the pool is a salt water pool. I replaced the posts with posts that are sold two inch square bar stock for the bottom three feet. They're solid one foot out of the ground. It was a very difficult job. The posts were King hammered fourteen gauge tubing. When I say rusted through, I mean a fence where the only solid posts were the corners which are higher than the line posts and had less exposure to the salt water.

I have a lot of respect for rust. That fence had plenty of rustoleum primer and color top coat. It sitll rusted through in four years. I've seen new pipe got to heck in less than ten years without paint protection.

A couple of months ago I lost a job because I was about twice the price of the competition. The client begged me to bid the job using the competition's specs. I wouldn't do it. I've been around this business long enough to see the results of taking some unwise shortcuts.

Use your new pipe and plan on painting your fence twice at three year intervals. Then you can just jump to five year intervals after that. Always keep in mind that it won't rust under a run.

/ new vs. used pipe for fence #14  
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the subject will also comment on the best way to install the posts. I have a vague recollection that how the posts are set can have a significant effect on the longevity of the whole fence. Electrolysis, sacrificial anodes, joint compounds, and stuff like that. If the corrosion is coming from the inside out, there is no point in painting.

/ new vs. used pipe for fence
Well I opted for the new. Seemed like a good deal on the pipe compared to what is in my area so I got a whole semi load headed this way. I am thinking maybe I can sell off the excess and make up the difference I paid for this over used.

/ new vs. used pipe for fence #16  
Oilfield pipe is not all made or used equally and it's fencing qualities might vary quite a bit.

It's a matter of checking what you are buying. Tap along a section of pipe with a hammer. If it's henskin you'll find it quickly.

If the steel fence posts are corroding rapidly a cathodic protection system might
slow down the corrosion.

As noted hazardous materials may be lurking in the residual coating left in the pipe. Also note that this coating may/may not prevent further pipe corrosion. It's all about the type of residual and the type of corrosion. Lots of that pipe will have bacteria hidden under the scale that just keep doing here thing.:D

Pays your money. Takes your chances!:thumbsup: