Mag drill?

/ Mag drill? #1  

1grnlwn

Bronze Member
Tractor
bobcat 773
I have ordered a Jancy mag drill, it is on the small side due to a < $1000 budget. I just wanted to have the capability to drill accurate larger size holes. It has a 1 3/8" dia capacity and is single speed 450 rpm. Any advice on mag drills?

/ Mag drill? #2  
I have a under 1,000 mag drill don't recall the brand. love it buy the carbide
bits will last longer than high speed ones. 1/2 inch is as small bits you can buy
but you can buy standard drill quill works well. Use cutting fluid.I Have drilled
several hundred 7/8 holes in 3/8 steel. You will like alot for holes over 1/2 inch.

/ Mag drill? #3  
Does your Mag drill have a chuck or use annular cutter bits. They come in 1" or 2" length. I have a Milwaukee Mag Drill and while it is great, I don't use it as much as I thought I would. :mad:

/ Mag drill? #4  
If you use the drill in a position where it can move or fall if the power is shut off then tie it off so it can't fall or swing out and smack you on the side of the head.

/ Mag drill? #6  
Isn't that going to be a little fast for large bits ?

Yes, but not for these! ;)

Hougen.jpg

Rotobroaches2.jpg

/ Mag drill? #7  
When I was out hunting for a Mag drill I wanted one with variable speed and be able to put a chuck on it when I wasn't using annular cutters. I found one that fit the bill. That being said you have to make sure your power cord is in good shape and not able to be unplugged especially if your stuck on the side of some structure. I use a lockable cord and attach a tether cord to the drill just in case I lose the power for some reason.
My main use was when I was out mobile welding. I would take it along with me. I also don't find them much good if your trying to use the magnet on thin metal such as 1/4". The thicker the plate the better. Mine gets very little use. I had to look around here to find it it's been that long since I used it :eek: good luck with your new drill. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it from the first time you use it.

Attachments

• drill1.JPG
    drill1.JPG
    907.3 KB · Views: 131
  • drill2.JPG
    drill2.JPG
    911.1 KB · Views: 170
  • drill3.JPG
    drill3.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 178
   / Mag drill? #9  
I see. Didn't realize mag drills commonly used annular bits.

Any reason why ?

I don't know if I'd say annular cutters are common, in an industrial setting yes, for the home owner no!

They drill faster, (cut less material) and last a lot longer. Down side is they're very expensive!

/ Mag drill? #10  
Also curious as to how these annular cutters handle higher RPM when standard drill bits start smoking.

Wonder if I could convert my press to run annular, it's a tapered pin chuck drive.