First weld-on grab hook

/ First weld-on grab hook #1  

jcliburn

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Well, I took the plunge and welded a grab hook onto the heel of my bucket today. (Kubota MX5100 tractor, LA844 loader, L2235 bucket.)

I just started welding this past spring, and thanks primarily to the good folks here at TBN, I've gotten some excellent tips and information.

No one will confuse my work with that of a good welder -- I am, after all, a computer scientist. :) Despite that handicap, however, I bare my soul and offer some close-up shots of the affair.

3/32" 6011 rod, 75 amps on the Everlast PA160 dial.

Critiques highly sought.

Attachments

• welder.JPG
    welder.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 600
  • hook1.jpg
    hook1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,032
  • hook2.jpg
    hook2.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 640
  • hook3.jpg
    hook3.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
   / First weld-on grab hook #2  
The beads look a little cold to me, more heat would help flow out. What does it look like from the underside, an indication of penetration? How thick is the base sheet?

/ First weld-on grab hook
Thanks for the comment, Transit.

The base plate for the hook is 1/4", and the bucket is 3/16".

The underside showed an outline of vaporized paint and major heat discoloration of the metal. I'd post a picture, but I've already primed it.

/ First weld-on grab hook #4  
Yeah, 90 amps would have looked a little better maybe, but I bet a dollar it does not come off! I love your welder, I have one just like it:) a good value for the money if you ask me. Congrats for having the guts to publish a photo of your project.
James K0UA

/ First weld-on grab hook #5  
3/16 = 0.187 in, that would call for 187 amps. 90 amps would be better than 75. 130-150 would be satisfactory.

/ First weld-on grab hook #6  
187 amps for 3/16 steel? sorry dont mean to be augumentive but ,no way. 90 is about right. give or take a few.. with his 3/32 rod. But I would have started with a 1/8 rod and about 125 amps to see how it ran, and adjusted from there. just my 2 cents.
James K0UA

Last edited:
   / First weld-on grab hook
The SMAW rod selection guide I use online shows a range of 40-85 amps for 3/32 6011s. What are the consequences of welding at 90 amps with that size rod? Will it just burn exceptionally quickly?

/ First weld-on grab hook #8  
Transit,did you just say he should be using 187 amps with a 3/32 rod? surely must have been a mistake?

About 90 amps is hot for 3/32,,you can run colder,or you can run hotter,,you gotta run it hot enough to where it will run/start good,you turn it down if you are melting through thinner stuff or melting off stuff you are not filling back,,generally speaking.

Once again,this welding supply saleman talk,[can weld this thick steel in one pass stuff],is confusing some people.:laughing:

I can weld inch thick steel together using less amperage than 180.

/ First weld-on grab hook #9  
Any particular reason you went with 6011 over 7018 for that? was the fit up poor? Also I agree with running at about 90 however it is machine dependent. Between my Ranger and My TIG with a stick on it I have about a 15 Amp difference burning 1/8 7018.

/ First weld-on grab hook #10  
Very true,,knobs are just knobs,,you turn one of those knobs where you think is about right than you adjust from there.