4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations?

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #1  

gears351

Tractor
Ford 9N
Anyone out there got some experience with angle grinders - as in durability? I run them with the thin cutoff wheels and a sanding disc, my old DW402 dewalt burned the windings up last year so I treated myself to the new model the D28402N, it's lasted me a light use year and the gear case stripped out yesterday.

The old one had a bushing on the inside of the case and the new units have a "Low Profile gear case to reach in tight spaces" as per the sales literature and now I've got a roached bevel gear!

Turns out the new case is thinner cause there's only one bearing! so all the load torques the bevel away from the pinion gear!

So, I want to find a new heavy duty unit WITH A PADDLE SWITCH but don't know what's what. Online they all look to have a wimpy little gear case (Bosch looks a little thicker, the Milwakee doesn't look too good in the pics, Makita's supposed to be nice)

I've got to go to a store and lay my hands on them to get a feel of them and compare construction.

Anyone got any suggestions/experience?

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #2  
This is the single most used tool I own. I have destroyed 2 in the last 4 years. One was a Makita and the other a Dewalt. I now have a Hitachi I got at Lowes and its by far the best for the money on the market.

Chris

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #3  
I've had a good 4" Makita, 'forever'!! It just doesn't quit! It's got a 'breaker-button' in the base, so if I start 'horsing' it to badly, it will 'pop'. It probably serves to save the motor from over heating. I also have a 'cheapy' Harbor Freight, that I use with a twisted wire brush for slag removal during welding. Can't beat that Makita though........~Scotty

Ooops! Chris posting at the same time! Never had experiance with Hitachi...~S

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #4  
I've gone through dozens of them composite/fiberglass fabricating etc...

for the price check out the ones that TSC carries (Masterhand)..I've had one for 3-4 years and it is holding up well...plus it has an 8' cord which is very nice compared to many that only have pigtail cords...

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations?
Thanks guys, I've got a Lowes around the corner - they don't carry the Makitas, I'll have to run to HomeDepot to check that one out.

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations?
I've been hearing "Metabo" from my friends who buy from Fastenal for their shops.... but that's a $200 unit from them.

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #7  
I've burnt up more grinders than I can remember. Look for current ratings (amps) and buy the highest rated. I now use a Dewalt d28115 and it's unstoppable, it's not light though.

The smaller grinders heat up as you use them, both from friction in the gear case and current going through the motor. That heat is bad and breaks down the coating on the winding inside the motor and puts lots of wear on the brushes in a short amount of time. Grinders rated for higher current don't heat up because they use a larger diameter wire for the windings for the extra current.

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #8  
I have had a makita for many years. and it has held up very well, and I like it a lot. but I gotta say, I have abused my $14 harbor freight (blue one) and it is still working well, I dont know... $14 is not a lot of money, and I have already got my money's worth out of it and it is still going strong.. just saying..
James K0UA

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #9  
I have a 4 1/2 " Makita and have abused the heck out of it. I did have to change the brushes once but that is an easy change on the Makita. I also have a 4 1/2 B&D and it vibrates so bad my hands go numb.
Bill

/ 4&1/2" angle grinder reccomendations? #10  
well i have went threw a lot also. the toughest one for long life.i brought a craftman about 15 years ago from sears outlet its been used and abused every sence ive worked it hard both of my sons and my grandson also ive loaned it out to some of my friends that do a lot of body work and welding also.its still running as strong now as when it was new. if you are looking for something cheaper thats tough also the firestrom brand from lowes will surprise you its made by black/decker .i bought the grinder and a corded 1/2 in. drill they both have been tough as nails.