Sliding barn door security

/ Sliding barn door security #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
One of my many character flaws involves the way I secure things. I guess a lot of my perverted perspective comes from the lack of respect I have for thieves.

My sliding shop door is an exampe of that.

If you look at it closely there are some things that just aren't right.

The most obvious of course is the door slides to the left and the latch is on the left. The latch is also a deadbolt lock and it offers no clue how it works.

If you was to walk up and try to move the door you would find that it doesn't, move, not at all, you can't even shake it. It can't be moved up or down and it can't be moved in or out.

The disrespect thing, I believe thieves are first and foremost lazy. Getting into through this door is going to take some doing. The other thing about thieves is they're stupid. So when they approach this door its way too complicated to hold their attention long.

As for the obvious before some engineer points it out, the self tapping fasteners, if the thief is armed with a reversable drill or impact they can get in after taking out a ton of screws. What will drive them crazy is some of those screws can't come out, darn.

Attachments

• SAM_0176.jpg
    SAM_0176.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 1,238
  • SAM_0177.jpg
    SAM_0177.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 975
  • SAM_0178.jpg
    SAM_0178.jpg
    952.7 KB · Views: 1,167
  • SAM_0179.jpg
    SAM_0179.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 855
   / Sliding barn door security
A friend of mine says I have too much time on my hands. He might be right.

What makes the door work is the right end has a tab that slides into a slot in the door jam. The fit is tight. That's what keeps the door from moving up or down on that end.

Attachments

• SAM_0180.jpg
    SAM_0180.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,054
  • SAM_0183.jpg
    SAM_0183.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 2,454
   / Sliding barn door security
The left side has the lock. It's a standard one hole lock box you can buy at any ornamental supply.

The box itself slides in between some horizontal blocks. This keeps the door from moving up and down at that end. The dead bolt goes into a hole in the bottom horizontal block. This keeps the door from moving in or out at that end.

The door won't stop the determined thief. But it will slow them down and most of the time that's enough.

Attachments

• SAM_0184.jpg
    SAM_0184.jpg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 1,191
  • SAM_0185.jpg
    SAM_0185.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 1,749
  • SAM_0190.jpg
    SAM_0190.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 3,909
   / Sliding barn door security #6  
I have also no respect for break and enter thieft. If you are not there to see your property they will get in. What I have done is put a locked steel gate on my only drive entrance. It is not so much the quality of the lock ( easy to cut ) but that the only entrance is restricted to a single entrance. On Boxing Day 2 years ago I was visted by a door knob shaker, he wore a 3/4 length coat non descript older white car. He parked with the engine running almost on my side lawn and asked how to get to a town 20 minutes away. As I had freshy plowed the snow I followed his tracks to the farm beside me. I then phoned the police and reported what I had found.
Craig Clayton

/ Sliding barn door security #7  
One of my many character flaws involves the way I secure things. I guess a lot of my perverted perspective comes from the lack of respect I have for thieves.

My sliding shop door is an exampe of that.

If you look at it closely there are some things that just aren't right.

The most obvious of course is the door slides to the left and the latch is on the left. The latch is also a deadbolt lock and it offers no clue how it works.

If you was to walk up and try to move the door you would find that it doesn't, move, not at all, you can't even shake it. It can't be moved up or down and it can't be moved in or out.

The disrespect thing, I believe thieves are first and foremost lazy. Getting into through this door is going to take some doing. The other thing about thieves is they're stupid. So when they approach this door its way too complicated to hold their attention long.

As for the obvious before some engineer points it out, the self tapping fasteners, if the thief is armed with a reversable drill or impact they can get in after taking out a ton of screws. What will drive them crazy is some of those screws can't come out, darn.

I hold them in the same disregard! I don't hold to complainers or thieves! Anyway, I like your idea and I'm going to keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing Harvey. Also, I see you added a pic just for Eddie!:laughing::thumbsup:

/ Sliding barn door security #8  
Nice job Harv. My neighbor has a simpler anti theft device. It is a target slioutte with 6 shots to the head posted to the wall . The caption reads These shots were made from 50 yrds. It's only 25 yrds to the house.
Bill

/ Sliding barn door security #9  
Thanks for sharing Harv! It is timely and very useful to me :D

/ Sliding barn door security #10  
The left side has the lock. It's a standard one hole lock box you can buy at any ornamental supply.

The box itself slides in between some horizontal blocks. This keeps the door from moving up and down at that end. The dead bolt goes into a hole in the bottom horizontal block. This keeps the door from moving in or out at that end.

The door won't stop the determined thief. But it will slow them down and most of the time that's enough.

Harv,
Maybe I read too fast, but what is the last photo about? Just a buddy you keep around for thieves? :)