Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211...

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #1  

NOTV8

Silver Member
Tractor
CT235
I've been wanting to buy a welder but just have nothing to tell my other half what I am going to use it for. Last week while digging out a stump I noticed that one of the pin holder on the boom of my BH7500 had cracked around it... so I tell her that I will need it fix or I can buy a welder and fix it myself. Low and behold... she told me to get myself a welder :thumbsup:.
I finally found a dealer close to me that have both in stock plus more. So.... went to the dealer and looked then came home with different welder :confused2:. I might not use the full potential of the welder but I think my kids will eventually figure out how to use it when I pass it on to them :D :thumbsup:. The only thing is... I don't even know how to MIG Weld :eek: (my neighbor is good though). I used Oxy-Acetelyn set up many moons ago:eek:.
Anyway I went home with a Miller 252, wires (.030 solid and flux cored, advise from dealer), Miller Auto darkening helmet, full tank of gas, tip dip, extra tips (.030, .035 and .045), welding gloves (should have bought jacket :mad:), some clamps, a plier and some angle magnets :D
Should have just called someone to weld my backhoe...:D. The dealer also wanted me to get the "runner kit" (spool gun, two bottles, etc.) but as for now I really have no use for it. Maybe next time :ashamed:. I know eventually I will need it. So... I will be welding tomorrow :thumbsup:. Hopefully my neighbor is home tomorrow to help on set up before my first try :eek:.
I know, picture is needed. Don't have my camera with me and the phone pictures is not loading up so it needs to wait :p.

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #2  
I'm picking up my first welder tomorrow! I negotiated a deal for a Millermatic 135 with the accessories and a very nice cart for $300. I have used a spot welder back in middle school pre 1990's lol and tried to weld my diesels truck exhaust back on the hanger with an old welder my neighbor had.... no success there.

My first project will be to weld back the part of my Subaru I cut out to fix a problem behind the sheet metal.

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #3  
I've been wanting to buy a welder but just have nothing to tell my other half what I am going to use it for. Last week while digging out a stump I noticed that one of the pin holder on the boom of my BH7500 had cracked around it... so I tell her that I will need it fix or I can buy a welder and fix it myself. Low and behold... she told me to get myself a welder :thumbsup:.
I finally found a dealer close to me that have both in stock plus more. So.... went to the dealer and looked then came home with different welder :confused2:. I might not use the full potential of the welder but I think my kids will eventually figure out how to use it when I pass it on to them :D :thumbsup:. The only thing is... I don't even know how to MIG Weld :eek: (my neighbor is good though). I used Oxy-Acetelyn set up many moons ago:eek:.
Anyway I went home with a Miller 252, wires (.030 solid and flux cored, advise from dealer), Miller Auto darkening helmet, full tank of gas, tip dip, extra tips (.030, .035 and .045), welding gloves (should have bought jacket :mad:), some clamps, a plier and some angle magnets :D
Should have just called someone to weld my backhoe...:D. The dealer also wanted me to get the "runner kit" (spool gun, two bottles, etc.) but as for now I really have no use for it. Maybe next time :ashamed:. I know eventually I will need it. So... I will be welding tomorrow :thumbsup:. Hopefully my neighbor is home tomorrow to help on set up before my first try :eek:.
I know, picture is needed. Don't have my camera with me and the phone pictures is not loading up so it needs to wait :p.

Sounds like you were the salesman dream for the day. How fun is that getting a brand toy with all the bells and whistles. I don't wish any breakdowns on you but hopefully you will find lots of projects to work on.

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #4  
Should have just called someone to weld my backhoe

Now that is just blaspheme, especially on a welding forum!:laughing:

When you get going good, I think you'll find .035 wire is a very good all around general fab wire;).

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #5  
You have a very nice machine there. My dream machine actually:thumbsup:

Any night classes at a community college near you?

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #6  
Ive never used a Miller MIG in that size until the last few days when our wire feeder for out XMT 350 went down. Ive been using a Miller 251 and in the last 4 days I have laid down 4 - 38 lb rolls of .045 T9 flux cored wire. Wow I am impressed. We had to get 2 brush rakes built for some new Komatsu track hoes for a job starting next week. So since they wanted them done so fast the Miller was being pushed outside its duty cycle (60 percent? BAHAHAHA)

But I must say I'm impressed with that machine and yours is a newer version of it. And possibly my next MIG for when I build my shop.

So heres a pic of what your machine is capable of!! Do it proud LOL!

IMG00192-20101112-1635.jpg

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #7  
NOTV8,.......... Very nice welder! I just bought one myself and replaced a 2 year old MM180.
I did however have to run 6-2 wire with a 60 amp breaker from the panel to the other side of my shop, where my welding is done. (55 feet).
FYI:
The liner, that comes with the MM252 is good for .035 and .045 wire
The drive rollers are good for .030 and .035 wire.
No idea why they mismatch the parts......
Lots of clips on MIG welding on youtube!
Enjoy this great welder.

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #8  
I think you made the right choice going with a bigger welder. A friend had an older Miller Mig (250 I think) that I've used and it worked great. The only issue I had was it had just two knobs and lines around the outside edge with no numbers to reference what setting you were using. People had made pencil lines so the could repeat the setting.

I think once you get into repairing your equipment you'll find the extra power is nice to put heat into the steel. That .030 wire will work for thinner stuff but I would either get a roll of .045 for thicker stuff or just switch to .035 for everything.

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211... #9  
You shouldn't have any trouble at all,most people who have tractors are pretty good welders[it seems by reading on this forum]:confused2::laughing:

/ Wanted to get Miller 140, 180 or 211...
I did however have to run 6-2 wire with a 60 amp breaker from the panel to the other side of my shop, where my welding is done. (55 feet).
QUOTE]

I did run a new line of 6/2 only for 10 feet on the panel since the previous wire that used was only 10/2 due to thinking of geting the smaller machine. I did however only put 50amp breaker. Do I need 60 amps?
Also I did some practice run and not so good as this time. It feels like I'm "cooking popcorn", the weld is not bad but just doesn't sound right. I did some adustment on voltage and speed and we'll see. I set it at 19.5/235 with 25cfh on gas for 3/16" angle iron/flat bar.
Attach is a pic. Okat lets hear it... Need some newbie pointers.
11qiaea.jpg