Plastic Fender repair

/ Plastic Fender repair #1  

Craig Clayton

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2250 Kubota
I read a post about a NH loader that has new style plastic fenders and the owner is worried about installing tire chains ( get the picture ). I have a vehicle that was backed into a low ditch at - 30 F; the plastic did not bend very well, lets say it cracked for 2 feet. At $700.00, I was not replacing it.
I back welded the plastic fender using a 250 watt soldering gun with the flat cutting tip. If you know how to weld with gas the process makes more sence, it is just with electric heat. When a blacksmith welds it is only hammering together almost plastic state iron,it sticks not too bad.
Now back to the fender take the cutting tip and plunge it into the crack at
a spot where things look good and putty the two sides together.
Move say 6 inches and putty the next spot together.
Move every 6 inches until the fender is spotted together.
You now start infilling between the spots.
Of course you need some welding rod; that is what those reinforcement
ribs are for, same base material.
You putty and plunge from the back side, it is not pretty but almost orginal
in strength.
If you want to practice break one of those plastic tool cases that a new drill comes in that you do not need. If you can fix that you can fix a fender.
After that you can move to thinner plastic with a smaller tip soldering iron, yesterday I fixed a new solar light that had the very thin plastic globe broken. It will last until I refind it with the snow blower.
Craig Clayton

/ Plastic Fender repair #2  
How about some pictures of the repairs you have done?

/ Plastic Fender repair
If any one is interested I will have to make a mockup of how I used the 250 watt soldering gun. The smallest project that I repaired last week was a 3/8 " crack in a windshield reservoir bottle , and it is still holding.
I think though with the statement that it is possible to repair plastic with a soldering gun/ or small iron you can learn easily.
Craig Clayton

/ Plastic Fender repair #4  
I was the OP on the plastic fender with chains issue. If you have any photos on repairing I would be interested. With my luck I will need to practicing before winter is over.:(

/ Plastic Fender repair #5  
I agree Craig, it is ez to do, have been doing it for years with a soldering iron. Got one for 10 bucks at a garage sale that uses air as well as the hot tip and have since seen it at harbor freight, it works nice too and is a little quicker. I have found the plastic next to the weld is a lot more likely to break than the weld tho.
Rick

/ Plastic Fender repair #6  
I read a post about a NH loader that has new style plastic fenders and the owner is worried about installing tire chains ( get the picture ). I have a vehicle that was backed into a low ditch at - 30 F; the plastic did not bend very well, lets say it cracked for 2 feet. At $700.00, I was not replacing it.
I back welded the plastic fender using a 250 watt soldering gun with the flat cutting tip. If you know how to weld with gas the process makes more sence, it is just with electric heat. When a blacksmith welds it is only hammering together almost plastic state iron,it sticks not too bad.
Now back to the fender take the cutting tip and plunge it into the crack at
a spot where things look good and putty the two sides together.
Move say 6 inches and putty the next spot together.
Move every 6 inches until the fender is spotted together.
You now start infilling between the spots.
Of course you need some welding rod; that is what those reinforcement
ribs are for, same base material.
You putty and plunge from the back side, it is not pretty but almost orginal
in strength.
If you want to practice break one of those plastic tool cases that a new drill comes in that you do not need. If you can fix that you can fix a fender.
After that you can move to thinner plastic with a smaller tip soldering iron, yesterday I fixed a new solar light that had the very thin plastic globe broken. It will last until I refind it with the snow blower.
Craig Clayton

I also, would like to see pictures. I have a right front fender on my JD Gator that need repairing. Ken Sweet

/ Plastic Fender repair #7  
Hey guys,
Try using hot glue guns.
I have successfully repaired a few breaks with a hot glue gun and the glue sticks that usually come with them.
I also found that you can sometimes get a variety of colors that will make a neater repair job.

Have an ATV with hot glued fenders running for couple of years now.
A pontoon peddle boat with hot glue repairs.
A travel trailer with hot glue repaired fenders.

This will work for PVC based materials, not ABS.

/ Plastic Fender repair
I guess now that I have brought this plastic welding up I am going to have to supply more info. Right now I am working in the shop on 14 6x6 pressure treated posts for my split rail fence entrance.
Several years ago we had at the plant 3"and 4" poly pipe installed. Each end of the pipe was cut square and held in a machine that had a 500 F heating plate that pushed on both ends at the same time. After severals minutes the heating plate was removed and the both ends of the pipe pushed together. It stuck because the pipe end was gooy soft for its temperature. This was an industry standard for this kind of plastic pipe.
When I repaired the plastic fender I pushed the flat cutting tip into the crack and both faces became gooy soft and stuck. Then you just stitch weld like any other repair.
The plastic kayak sites have info on this process, I will have to hunt them down.
Craig Clayton

/ Plastic Fender repair #9  
Yepper - after bragging on TBN about my plastic I took a good ding out of the 4610s grill this weekend. SWMBO is not even happy about me buying a new one.
No pressure we only been married 24 years this month.
bring pics and details please

/ Plastic Fender repair #10  
For PVC extrusions, the process is the same as welding that pipe, Craig.
Welded PVC window frames are cut to a miter and usually slightly longer than the finished size intended. The pieces are clamped in a jig, a hot welding plate is placed between the miter and the pieces are heated. After reaching a melt temperature, the plate is withdrawn and the miter joint is pressed together and allowed to cool. The cooled weld joint is milled into tolerance to complete the process.
Check out this short video of a four point vinyl welder that welds two sash at one time. You'll see the heated plate at 1:00 minute with various closeups until 1:30. The heated plate is covered with a "teflon" style coating to keep the melted vinyl from clinging to the welding plate. The rest of the video is more window nerd stuff. :laughing:

Build your manual welder with something that has a low stick coating, say, a high temp silicone paint like what is used for coating cookware or bakeware. Also, a hot knife will let you heat the joint over a wider area. Heat, melt, separate, and press together until cool.

Last edited: