IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!!

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!! #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
Welding Galvanized Steel -- Safely
ゥ Sperko Engineering Services, Inc.,1999,

Welding of Galvanized Products
Welding of galvanized steel is done almost exactly the same way as welding of the bare steel of the same composition; the
same welding processes, volts, amps, travel speed, etc. can be used with little modification when the switch is made from
uncoated steel to galvanized steel -- unless the zinc coating is unusually thick.
The difference between welding galvanized steel and welding uncoated steel is a result of the low vaporization temperature of
the zinc coating. Zinc melts at about 900ーF and vaporizes at about 1650ーF. Since steel melts at approximately 2,750ーF and
the welding arc temperature is 15,000 to 20,000ーF, the zinc that is near the weld does not stand a chance -- it's vaporized!
By the time the weld pool freezes, the zinc is gone. This has two immediate consequences:
The vaporized zinc increases the volume of welding smoke and fumes.
The zinc at and near any welds is actually burned off by the heat of the arc, removing the protective zinc coating.

Zinc Fumes -- A Safety Hazard?

When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder
that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research1
into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they
have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated
by the body without complications or chronic effects. Current research2 on zinc oxide fumes is concentrated in establishing
the mechanism by which zinc oxide causes "metal fume fever," how its effects are self-limiting and why zinc oxide fume
effects ameliorate after the first day of exposure even though the welder may continue to be exposed to zinc during subsequent
days ("Monday-morning fever"). Other research3 is being done using zinc oxide fumes together with various drugs which
results in a synergetic effect for treatment of cancer and AIDS. Another area of research is use of zinc compounds as the active
ingredients in throat lozengers that are recognized as significantly effective in reducing the duration and intensity of the
common cold.
Typical 杜etal fume fever begins about 4 hours after exposure, and full recovery occurs within 48 hours. The symptoms
include fever, chills, thirst, headache and nausea. All of these symptoms, pain and suffering, as well as lost work (and play)
time, can be avoided entirely by simply not inhaling the zinc oxide fumes. This can easily be done using any of the
methods described later.
Unlike other heavy metals, such as copper, lead and mercury, zinc is an essential micro nutrient. Zinc is essential to the
proper growth of plants and animals. Zinc forms part of the enzyme system that regulates biological processes throughout the
body. As shown on any multi-vitamin/mineral bottle, the recommended minimum adult intake is 15 mg/day.

1Walsh, Sandstead, Prasad, Newberne and Fraker, Environmental Health Perspectives, Volume 102, Supplement 2,
June 1994, 5-46. Provides summary plus 471 references.
2 Kuschner,D'Alessandro, et. al., Pulmonary Responses to Purified Zinc Oxide Fumes, Journal of Investigative
Medicine, 1995:43:371-378.
3Robert Sabin, Zinc Activated Profile, COPE, March/April 1995: 16,17
Welding Galvanized Steel

If you're going to weld galvanized please read the whole thing here.

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf

I've been welding galvanized materials for forty plus years now. I've had fume sickness a couple of times. However, I've had friends that have been sickened for days from walking in while I was welding some galvanized materials. I see it as more about individual tolerance than poisonous gases. I can't take cigarette smoke for very long but I can weld all day long without any problems.

My father is eighty four and he welded galvanized materials most of his life. He was a gate man at a chainlink fence company. He taught me to weld by welding up sixteen gauge galvanized fence tubing.

If you're going to weld galvanized do it in intelligent manner. But don't avoid it because you're worried about poisoning yourself.

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!! #2  
The calcium in milk seem to help alleviate the zinc flu symptoms. So if you weld zinc, drink a quart or so of milk or take calcium tablets to offset the effects. Better still is to use adequate ventilation to keep the zinc smoke out of your lungs. I welded for several years and only got zinc flu once and it was enough to teach me to stay up wind when welding. Filter mask can also be worn, but I find them unnecessary if proper precautions for ventilation are followed.

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!! #3  
The calcium in milk seem to help alleviate the zinc flu symptoms. So if you weld zinc, drink a quart or so of milk or take calcium tablets to offset the effects. Better still is to use adequate ventilation to keep the zinc smoke out of your lungs. I welded for several years and only got zinc flu once and it was enough to teach me to stay up wind when welding. Filter mask can also be worn, but I find them unnecessary if proper precautions for ventilation are followed.

I try my best not to breath any of the smoke or fumes no matter what I weld.

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!!
The article I quoted has the most information on welding galvanized that I've ever seen.

I've heard that plants where there is lots of galvanized material being welded give out heavy cream to anyone that wants it during the day. I also know a lot of guys who like to drink whole milk while welding.

If someone hasn't been around it before then I suggest a mask, 3M has a disposable mask just for welding galvanized, just in case they are sensitive to the fumes. I always weld it with ventilation and never stick my face into the fumes and breath.

Welding is what's toxic to us. Not the welding of galvanized materials.

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!! #5  
Unfortunatly I am one of the people that have spent time in the hospital from welding galvanized. Poor ventilation probably had a lot to do with it. Now I can't be arround where galvanized is getting welded without getting nauseated. To me it has a supper sweet smell when being welded.
Bill

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!! #6  
I do my best to grind most of it off. My little Lincoln MIG doesn't like it much and the first pass without grinding looks pretty bad.

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!! #7  
Unfortunatly I am one of the people that have spent time in the hospital from welding galvanized. Poor ventilation probably had a lot to do with it. Now I can't be arround where galvanized is getting welded without getting nauseated. To me it has a supper sweet smell when being welded.
Bill

Although I didn't need to go to the hospital I get the same way now around welding of car parts. It's that black paint they use on frame parts and replacement sheet metal. In the past when I would weld it the fumes would get stuck in my nose for a day or two. Now I can't get within 20 feet of it.

/ IMPORTANT! Welding Galvanized!!!!!!
Unfortunately welding and forging galvanized material killed a great man...

Shop Safety III : A Case Study : Zinc Metal Fume Fever - anvilfire iForge Demo

Be very, VERY, careful...

Lloyd

I've been aware of what happened to Paw Paw since it happened. I didn't believe then and don't believe now it was galvanizing poison that killed him.

That's just an opinion on my part, just like all the stuff on the other side is opinions on theirs.

There are attorneys right now that make their living taking on Parkinsons patients that were once weldors and having success suing manufacturers of welding rods. They don't take on all cases and no one has successfully sued a class action law suit over Parkinsons and welding rods.

If there was anything at all that could be legally tied to welding galvanized and a death like Paw Paw's the attorneys would be on it and justifiably so. I haven't heard of anything anywhere suggesting there is a case to be made.

What happened to Paw Paw is terrible. I interacted with him for many years on a blacksmithing site from back in the day. He was a model for us all when it came to sharing hard learned knowledge about blacksmithing and life.

Once again, we're not all the same. One of my neighbors got sicker than a dog for a week just from being around me welding up a bird cage made from 1 5/8 galvanized top rail tubing. He's not the only one that I've known that had more than casual reactions to the fumes.

On the other hand there are some of us out there that have welded galvanized for many years and have only experienced metal fume fever a couple of times. Those bouts of metal fume fever have been mild and short lived for me.

If you're thinking about welding up something that's galvanized be careful and protect yourself because you can get sick. But don't avoid welding it because it will kill you. That hasn't been proven and should be considered b.s. until it is proven.