New Welder

/ New Welder #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
I really never paid any attention to the Everlast brand of welders, until reading some of Mark's post here. I was so impressed with his knowledge of welding I clicked on his user name, and went to the Everlast web site. Did a little reading, then asked Mark a few question in some post here. After thinking about it a few days I called Mark and had a long conversation with him about welding. I bought this welder for the Hot Start option. When striking an arc the machine automatically gives you a little more power, less sticking of the rod when starting. This machine also has an automatic arc force / dig, which helps with not sticking the rod also when welding. The machine also has a separate welding lead port for 6010, you plug the ground / work lead into this port. I'm not going to set here and tell you the arc compares to my mid 50's shorthood, but I will tell you the arc with 6010 is better than my $6,000.00 Dynasty 300! I was very impressed with this little machine with 7018. One of the nicest 7018 arcs I've ever ran! Another thing I really like is the cooling fan, it stays on all the time. I've had my Dynasty 300 for over 4-years, and I still can't get use to the "Fan on Demand"!

For $350.00 I'm very impressed with this little machine!:thumbsup:

Yeah that's right, a welding glove setting on top of it.:laughing:

6010 root pass on 2 inch pipe.

7018 vertical uphill.

/ New Welder #2  
Nice. I'm just about to post about my PowerPlasma60 I just got today.

/ New Welder #3  
Shield, its a pretty neat little machine isn't it? I have the 160 amp one, and I really like it. My skill level is no where near yours, but I can " glue" some thing together, gets the job done for me, and I love the size and the fully adjustable amp setting.
James K0UA

/ New Welder #5  
I would have taken a trade on that short hood, maybe an even swap?:D

Its hard for guys to get over an inverter welding anywhere close to this good. My hardest chore is to promote this little welder in the midst of our other good products. Still working on some of our guys in the Company to give it the recognition of its industrial capabilities that it deserves.:cool: 6010 and 6011 are still some of the most widely used rods on the market...Though that short hood will almost seem like it has a high frequency start when it comes to welding with 6010, most welders will find the PowerArc quite satisfactory.

I see the little mod you made there with the electrode holder. What did you install?

/ New Welder
You would have traded straight across for this?

Here is what that shorthood can do with 6010, stacks it effortlessly!

Mark I only played with the PowerArc 200 for a couple hours, give me some time I'm sure I will be even more impressed! ;)

/ New Welder #7  
My Lincoln has a fan on demand that never worked right. As soon as you strike an arc the fan comes on and stays on for at least 10 minutes after stopping welding. I never got it fixed like the dealer wanted me to since the pluses (keeping things cool is good, knowing where the air flow is going to go when the fan comes on if mig welding near the welder) to having it run out weigh the minuses (a little more noise).

My only stick welder is an older Sears AC only 250 amp. I've never got good results with it so I moved away from stick welding. One of the reasons I got the 255 mig was I wanted a mig that could weld as thick as possible so I could just leave the stick in the corner under the clutter. Of course the weight of the stick welder is also a negative. I might have to rethink stick welding.

/ New Welder
I see the little mod you made there with the electrode holder. What did you install?

Opps didn't see this before. I took the Miller Dinse to Tweco coupler off the Dynasty so I could use my longer whip.;)

/ New Welder
OK got it figured out, I have to hold a longer arc length than I'm use to. Guess all those years of running 7018, and jamming the rod right into the puddle is biting me in the behind now.
This machine really like 10P-Plus.

Ran this in the horizontal position, with 1/8" 10P-Plus, (6010)

/ New Welder #10  
Never used the 10P, but 5P+ and 6P. What's the advantage or differences.

Inverters do take a "little" retraining. Some guys have a hard time crossing to inverters, because they have to retrain muscle memory. :cool: