Rods for welding cutting edge

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I have a piece of town plow cutting edge that I plan to weld onto my bucket to make a new cutting edge. I am going to weld it directly to what little is left of the original welded cutting edge, placing the new material under the old then welding around the edges. The suggestion I have so far is to gap the new edge slightly below the old edge (like 1/16") to prevent cracking. Then burn in the first weld at 200A using 6011, then top with a more normal 125A or so using 7018. I heard a similar suggestion from another welder for technique, but the rod type was reversed - so one of them was confused. I have 6011 and 7018 rods ready to go, however, I don't know which to use when.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks - JayC

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #2  
Well,depends what the cutting edge is made of,maybe[probably] some kind of hardened higher carbon steel? and if thats the case,neither of the rods you mentioned would be the ones to use,,and those amps you mentioned really don't make much sense.

Maybe somebody has done something like this and will help out more.

But welding on something like that might require a preheat and even a post heat or at least slow cooling,not to mention the proper rod,,other wise,the first time you use it,it might just break off,cracking would be the problem if not done right.

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #3  
The thickness of what you're welding will dicate the size of the rod which will then dictate what amps to use. The 6011 is a high penetration rod so you would use that for your first pass. The 7018 is more of a filler rod and will leave a nice bead so you would use that as a final and covering pass. You could also probably use 6013 which is mainly for pipe welding. All you're really doing is holding the new edge to the old so this isn't exactly critical welding. You should make sure you have it clamped well, then do a pass on one end, then the other, then the middle and let it cool a bit inbetween passes to minimize warping and metal expansion. If you do a long continuous pass from one end, you will have expansion of the steel and place internal stress on the metal.

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #4  
So,your saying the cutting edges,are made of mild steel?

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #6  
Did this on my kubota. Took a cutting edge from a fisher plow and welded it right to the bottom of the bucket. I did it with my Hobart handler 240 mig. Highest amp setting 35 wire feed speed. It is rock solid and has worked like a dream for a while.

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #7  
I heard a similar suggestion from another welder for technique, but the rod type was reversed - so one of them was confused. I have 6011 and 7018 rods ready to go, however, I don't know which to use when.

i welded this grader blade on about 22 years ago, it has stood up to quite a bit of abuse, both summer and winter.

i would use 7018 only, but if it could be avoided, wouldn't try welding it to the existing cutting edge.

if possible, i would cut the old a/r q/t or whatever it is off, so that you can weld the replacement blade to the mild steel of the plow. the rational being that it's easier to weld hard to soft than some sort of hard to some other sort of hard, especially when your not sure exactly what they are.

i think hitting it with 6010 or 6011 is probably not a good idea.

whether you weld old to new, or new to mild blade, you definitely would need to preheat and post heat to stress relieve and try to arrange for some insulation to keep it hot for as many hours as possible. it never hurts to have a tiger torch handy and lots of propane. that foil back insulation works good.

i once welded a broken (3 pieces) rear axle on an f250 with a full floating rear end using this technique and 7018 only... it lasted for over a year, the guy was chewing his way up a gravel hill when it finally let go. i was surprised it didn't snap off on his way out the driveway;):)

i have also tried repairing cutting edges on some large loaders that just would not cooperate... they formed cracks radiating random directions from the weld. the further i tried to chase the cracks, the further they radiated until the blade was more broken than not... so there is such a thing as a blade that just cannot be welded. it's almost like it already had microfractures and the heat just sent them heading every direction.

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 782
   / Rods for welding cutting edge #8  
That 200amp amperage was really too high, unless you have a huge ball-bat rod.There was correct ranges on the package the rods came in, also correct polarity.. Very high amperage won't do the trick, or make up for bad technique. I am talking about stick welding.

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #9  
Just depends on what the stuff is made of,I wouldn't know,but if its somekind of higher carbon and/or hardened steel,it would be like trying to weld cast iron,,,meaning,if it ain't done right,it won't work.

You might take a punch and hit mild steel with it,real hard and than hit the cutting edge and compare hole sizes or a drill bit.

/ Rods for welding cutting edge #10  
I have no idea what material your cutting edge is, but I've welded up dozens and dozens of scalloped excavator and backhoe buckets with 11018 rods or 110S wire if I could get any locally. I had a little 5 pound spool of 110 and used AR/O2 mix to weld up the scalloping in my excavator bucket about 3 or 4 years ago and I don't have any new scalloping between the teeth.

I had some of my early jobs crack that I didn't preheat, so I've since always preheated the parent material to at least 700 degrees and then used an O/A torch on the weld a bit to let it slowly cool. The last few, including my excavator bucket, I just buried the weld in sand as soon as I finished and it seemed to cool off slowly enough that way.

Honestly, you may be surprised at what will work though. A buddy put a nice divot in the cutting edge of his FEL bucket and asked me to come over and weld it up for him. I assumed he had what I would need. He only had a little, but nice, Hobart Handler buzz box and a box of 6013 rods he picked up at Lowes. Oh well...I ground it out and beveled it a bit and made several stringers to weld it up and then used his grinder to blend it in with the rest of his cutting edge. While it was still warm, he sprayed his cutting edge with a can of Kubota spray paint he had and it dried almost immediately. He's used his FEL constantly for the last year since I did that 'quickie' for him and he said he still can't see where it was fixed.

I dunno, maybe the cutting edges on some FEL buckets aren't all that hardened. I expected him to wear that weld off pretty quick clearing snow off his asphalt driveway and digging in some pretty rocky soil, but so far so good. I wouldn't have bet on it holding.