What to look on a Plasma Cutter?

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #1  

NOTV8

Silver Member
Tractor
CT235
Any info for the newbie here? What else are needed to start cutting? Not sure if the saying... "buy the biggest you can afford" applies here. Since I used that phrase when I bought my welder :D and not sure if my wife will still agree with me :laughing:. I went to the dealer where I bought the welder but they are close today. No brand loyalty here just wanted the reliable one. Thanks for any input.

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #3  
I like my Everlast PP60 but I have only had it a week or so, can't tell you how reliable it is. If you don't mind spending twice as much I would say the Hypertherm 45 looks like a pretty good unit that'll cut 1" thick steel.

I would say you should decide what you want to do and how think of steel you want to cut. If you'll never cut anything thicker than 1/4" steel then a $2500 Hyperterm 65 would be over kill. If you know you'll be cutting 1" or more than the 45 might be on the small side. It'll do it but it gets a little difficult for the not so experienced operator since your cutting speed is slow.

Just remember that there are added costs. You'll need a compressor, probably 5hp, and a good air drier and you'll need to have enough power in your shop to run both. In my garage I ran a 100 amp line to the sub panel and have a dedicated 50amp outlet just for the welder/ plasma cutter.

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #4  
I have the Hypertherm Powermax 30 and I love it. It cuts up to 3/8" very well. It is also capable of operating on 110 or 220v. Biggest cut I have made in one pass is 3/8" plate 1 foot wide. No problems with duty cycle or compressor keeping up.

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #5  
First thing I'd ask you, do you really need a plasma? They're expensive to buy, expensive to operate, and if you get a big enough one you need a stand alone air compressor.
An oxygen / acetylene torch may suit you better. Hard to heat parts with a plasma.
But if you already have a torch, then I'd suggest you get a plasma capable of scarfing / gouging, that way you don't have to buy a carbon arc air gouger. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. :laughing:

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #6  
Have had a Miller 375 for about 18 months. Great unit and small enough to move easily. Runs on 110 or 220 so very handy for use anywhere. Cuts 1/4 like butter but 3/8 not as clean. Also have the Miller 211 welder it also runs on 110 or 220 so I'm set... You might think I'm partial to the "Blue" machines... not really just have a good Miller dealer in the area that really takes care of my needs and any questions that may arrise.
I would suggest that you don't settle for less if you can afford more!
You will really like the results of a good plasma maching.

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter?
First thing I'd ask you, do you really need a plasma? They're expensive to buy, expensive to operate, and if you get a big enough one you need a stand alone air compressor.
An oxygen / acetylene torch may suit you better. Hard to heat parts with a plasma.
But if you already have a torch, then I'd suggest you get a plasma capable of scarfing / gouging, that way you don't have to buy a carbon arc air gouger. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. :laughing:

Shield, Don't need oxy/acetylene right now... no use for it :eek:. I have a small torch and I think that is enough for now. I have a 60 gal. compressor and I think that is more than enough for what I am going to use it. I think :confused3:. I have attach the pic of the compressor. That is okay, right? Only wanted the Plasma due to it cuts easier and faster that chopsaw and grinder :D.
20ggvac.jpg

This was the Miller 252 I bought
2wd51f4.jpg

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #8  
All depends on the needs of the plasma you buy. I have a Hypertherm 1250 I run it with an 80-gallon compressor with no problems at all.

If you can afford it, get one that can scarf. Amazing what a plasma can do to a weld.

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #9  
I have a hobart and it has been great. I really dont mess around much with steel over 1/4" so it is plenty. As for your compressor - no problem there. The plasma is not bad in the CFM department by any means.
Good luck and ads long as you get a brand name unit you will really like it

/ What to look on a Plasma Cutter? #10  
I am curious. I see a post for the Hypertherm 45 ( 45 amp) and it's ability to cut 1". The next post is about the Everlast 60 amp plasma. What is the Everlast capability being 15 amps more? I have ran the 45 many times and to say it cuts 1" is like saying the Miller 211 welds 1/2". I remember using a size 00 tip in a cutting torch and cutting 2" Plate. I assume the cut was similar to the Hypertherm 45 on 1".:laughing: