Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #1  

gwdixon

Elite Member
Everlast Power Plasma 70 quick review. December 2010.

The unit arrived two business days after ordered. The box and contents were immaculate. Nothing out of place, no damage.

It is a fairly heavy. I'd guess around 60 - 70 pounds. No shoulder carry strap on this machine. It makes the PowerArc 200 look miniature.

Included was a box of spare consumables, fuses, compressed air water trap/filter, power plug, and a pleasant surprise - a roller guide.

The power plug didn't fit any of my shop's outlets so a "dryer-type" plug was picked up at the hardware store. Wasn't expecting a plug anyway so that was a bonus of sorts. The 6.5HP air compressor is on a separate circuit 220V breaker so all is fine.

The water trap was appreciated but the mounting bracket for it was useless. A screw that screws into the case completely conflicts with a screw that screws into the water trap. It was easy enough to fab a mount out of some aluminum angle and then it went on perfectly. One would think that a workable mount would be a given. Maybe I missed something.

A brass close nipple and 90 degree elbow were put on the "in" side of the water trap to hold the included quick attach air hose fitting so it couples from the bottom. Less stress on the trap and mount than a horizontal hook-up. If an inline desiccant filter is used it will be put right there.

So the only extras needed for my application were a 220V clothes dryer plug, 3 inch piece of aluminum angle, and a couple of brass fittings. Total cost around $20.

The clear plastic air tubing from the trap to the input on the machine is attached by push connect fittings rather than the hose clamps pictured on the website. I would have replaced them with compression fittings and sleeves but the machine would have had to have been taken apart to change the input fitting on the case. Maybe it will be done later when, or if, the push fittings spring a leak. (Had enough of leaky push air fittings with Firestone RideRite air springs on my truck. They were all replaced with compression fittings.)

Finally got to test the cutting function out late in the day. What a beast! As common in plasma cutter reviews, it sliced through metal like butter - 5/8 inch bar stock was the largest that was handy and it made quick work of repeated test slices. Ran it at 70 amps and 70 psi as a max stress test. 1/8 inch plate was like writing with a ball point pen with 50 amps and 50 psi.

My O/A cutting skills were never very crisp and much time was spent grinding. That will be greatly reduced with the sharp edges and smoothness of the plasma cuts. Straight lines are much more accurate and chalk is much easier to follow.

The included Chinglish instructions were completely worthless. The *.pdf download from the Everlast site was old and approximate at best. Fortunately, the operation is rather intuitive. The photo and features on the Everlast website were accurate - except for the air supply connections as noted above.

Wire guides are listed as available for the PP 60 but none are listed for the PP 70. As a beginner to plasma cutting, a wire guide would be nice to have been included. Slightly canting the torch was too easily done without noticing. However, it was not that difficult keeping the correct distance from the work - similar to long-arching with 60xx.

The stinger is rather bulky and heavy so, even when holding it with the off hand, it is restrictive. It slipped out of my hand once and jerked the torch, ruining the perfection of the cut. Practice is needed.

With a five year warranty this plasma cutter should outlast me at my age.

OK, so it didn't turn out to be a quick review. Posted on Welding Web, Tractor by Net, and Everlast Forum for those considering an Everlast unit.

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #2  
Posted on Welding Web,

When posting on Welding Web be sure not to comment on moderators trying to stir the pot against Everlast, or you'll receive a 2-week suspension! :thumbdown:

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review
Yah, I saw that. Thought it was a bit harsh given the circumstances and how benign the suspended guy's post was.

But it is their website and they can do as they please.

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #4  
It is their website, and free to you and I. But I'll bet it's not free to Everlast! ;)

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #5  
Here,
We sponsor the forum.
Over there, we DID sponsor the forum at quite a handsome sum...But it was more problems than it was worth, similar but worse than what is going on now. We quit official sponsorship in July/August of last year. We had an agreement to keep the respective forum open, since it does attract a huge number of hits to the site each day which helps overall ranking and traffic, appealing (hopefully) to advertisers.. But No one understands that their "freedoms" are sponsored, even the mods over there, and if the "Major" guys won't do it, someone must or it will cease to exist... The fact is due to the opinions over on the other site, it is holding its door open, but just barely. And that the money to float a website that size, or any size for that matter is expensive and the staff it requires. It is an offshoot of a magazine, yet most subscribers never read the magazine or any online articles.

What some of these conumers loyal to major colors fail to recognize, is that their patronage is not respected enough for their favorite color company to help sponsor some of the other forums other than their own. I just don't get it...I'd think these guys with much larger budgets than ours would jump at the chance to put their money up to sponsor more forums...But, I digress...

GW,
Thanks again for the post here. Lets see some more cuts. Just to combat skeptics opinions, would you and others mind posting various cuts, on various materials, with various thicknesses, uncleaned and "unvarnished", so people can see dross and quality of cut? As you get time, of course.

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #6  
The PP60 also had a few of the minor issues that you found. I found that you can use the bracket for the filter but you can't use the supplied washers. Secondly getting to the screws on the filter is hard because of the plastic trim. With the extended bracket you eliminated the problem.

Almost all of the air connectors at work are same as what is supplied. I find they work very well. The clear tubing looks like it will do the job just fine and I'm sure inside of the cutter you'll find more of it (along with the on-touch connectors). I added a regulator before the in-line filter as I don't want to have a friend (or do it myself) connect up the air line with 175 psi on it. I doubt it could handle that kind of pressure.

I also found the downloaded manual slightly out of date and would recommend to Mark they update it to reflect the newer design. Also it would be helpful if the added a section on tips and techniques. Being a lower cost unit I'm sure a number of buyers are people with little experience and would find it helpful having a place to start.

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #7  
Here,
We sponsor the forum.
Over there, we DID sponsor the forum at quite a handsome sum...But it was more problems than it was worth, similar but worse than what is going on now. We quit official sponsorship in July/August of last year. We had an agreement to keep the respective forum open, since it does attract a huge number of hits to the site each day which helps overall ranking and traffic, appealing (hopefully) to advertisers.. But No one understands that their "freedoms" are sponsored, even the mods over there, and if the "Major" guys won't do it, someone must or it will cease to exist... The fact is due to the opinions over on the other site, it is holding its door open, but just barely. And that the money to float a website that size, or any size for that matter is expensive and the staff it requires. It is an offshoot of a magazine, yet most subscribers never read the magazine or any online articles.

What some of these conumers loyal to major colors fail to recognize, is that their patronage is not respected enough for their favorite color company to help sponsor some of the other forums other than their own. I just don't get it...I'd think these guys with much larger budgets than ours would jump at the chance to put their money up to sponsor more forums...But, I digress...

GW,
Thanks again for the post here. Lets see some more cuts. Just to combat skeptics opinions, would you and others mind posting various cuts, on various materials, with various thicknesses, uncleaned and "unvarnished", so people can see dross and quality of cut? As you get time, of course.

I like how people will bash anything with the word China on it as bad as they type on a computer that has untold number of parts and most likely assembled that very same country. After all try and find a TV or any other electronic device that doesn't have at least one foot in China. And what is a plasma cutter, mig, tig welder?

Mark I personally don't think any of the large companies care about me or how I use their products one bit.

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #8  
We'll update the manual soon. Keep in mind, this new design has been out for less than 3 weeks. I do the updating of the manuals...so things are busy. There is some basic instruction in the manual. In fact there is a "hints" section. Maybe I can add to it, and maybe you can give some extra information that you find helpful... or would have liked to know. I have to write these based off my experience, training and understanding. Sometimes it is difficult to fit into a basic manual advanced levels of instruction. Communication advanced ideas a theories can be difficult. I usually try to err on the side of simplicity. So few actually read the manuals now...imagine if they were 150 pages long.

Al,
Make sure you have this manual:
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/downloads/PowerPlasma 2.pdf

After thinking about it and the post made on the other site, it may be that the original page was linked into an older version.

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #9  
We'll update the manual soon. Keep in mind, this new design has been out for less than 3 weeks. I do the updating of the manuals...so things are busy. There is some basic instruction in the manual. In fact there is a "hints" section. Maybe I can add to it, and maybe you can give some extra information that you find helpful... or would have liked to know. I have to write these based off my experience, training and understanding. Sometimes it is difficult to fit into a basic manual advanced levels of instruction. Communication advanced ideas a theories can be difficult. I usually try to err on the side of simplicity. So few actually read the manuals now...imagine if they were 150 pages long.

Al,
Make sure you have this manual:
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/downloads/PowerPlasma 2.pdf

After thinking about it and the post made on the other site, it may be that the original page was linked into an older version.

Thanks Mark. That does look to be a newer version than what I downloaded. I'll spend some time to read it.

/ Everlast PowerPlasma 70 review #10  
Nice review! It would be good to see some cuts and speeds etc as you continue to use the unit.

I just took delivery of a new Hypertherm Powermax85...it is destined to be used on my PlasmaCam cnc machine, but I also got the two versions of the hand torch with it. In the next week or so I will pull it out of the box, hook up air and power and do a similar review using the hand torches with this system.

Note that I do work for Hypertherm....but this is a unit that I bought for my home shop. I will not be comparing directly against competetitive systems....just notes on connecting the unit, some pictures, and some initial hand cuts. In a few weeks I will be disconnecting the Powermax45 plasma from the cnc machine and replacing it with the 85.....then I will do a review of how the unit is wired up to the cnc, and the resulting cut pictures.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions on what they would like to see cut...perhaps both GWDixon and I could do some similar cuts with each system?

Jim Colt